Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [Official] - X58 Xeon Club -

View Single Post
post #14641 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 02:08 PM
Almost Heathen
Linux Gamer

Rep: 58 (Unique: 40)
Quote: Originally Posted by Retrorockit View Post
In the Throttlestop overclocking thread at TPU Unclewebb, the developer of TS goes through the X58settings on around page 4. 4.15Ghz seems typical for Prime 95, and 4.3Ghz for softer gaming benchmarks.
For RAM speed on locked boards you can try chasing lower latency. PC Wizard lets you read all the latency speeds at various clock speeds the RAM is programmed for.
On my LGA775 Optiplex 380 GSkill Ripjaws CAS7 1333 DDR3 runs at CAS6 on the 1066 bus speed. I've never seen these timings for lower than rated clock speeds published.
There may be some DDDR3 1600 or 1866 modules that will run faster at 1333 speed.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...op-pcs.235975/
Most locked BIOS boards don't have any VRM cooling. You can glue some heatsinks on yourself for an improvement there. I would suggest separate heatsinks for each MOSFET. Expansion must be accounted for if you try to add 1 big heatsink, and the MOSFETs aren't always level with each other. Either Arctic 2 part thermal cement, or many people just use Superglue. Alphacool, and Enzotech both sell MOSFET heatsink kits. I've had this mod make more Voltage available to the CPU.
There is a TDP Wattage control, and a separate TDC current (Amperage)control. If you look at the equation Amps X Volts=Watts you will see that lower Amps will require higher Voltage for the same Watts output. Of course raisng Voltage by an indirect method like this is risky business since you don't know what Voltage you will actually end up with. What the Auto settings will actually allow is unknown so far.
Thank you, I'll check that out. I had stumbled upon his data about the W3680 power limit MSRs and MSR values on page 18, which has been invaluable (seems to be required info for overclocking on Linux).

Nice, I'll check out PC Wizard as well. CAS 6 is very low latency indeed, so far I've only been able to achieve the default of CAS 7. By all indications, the 0x501h it's also locked at 1066MHz. There was some mention that 1333 was available on a previous BIOS but downgrading is risky enough business that I'll pass on finding out, it would be a shame to brick the board.

Hopefully I'll have some time to revisit the chips capabilities tonight. I'm going to try the 1333 from my "workstation" in the X58 and see what happens. I'm not sure if it's worth playing around with bus/BCLK/FSB to increase RAM speed or not, or even if it's possible, but I'll probably give that a go too. I think my previous concern over bus speed fluctuations may be unfounded; where the i7 920 would crash with all of +5 on the FSB, it seems these Xeons are much more capable.

Luckily this board seems to have a pretty robust heatsink, and I replaced the thermal pads a couple years back. Added a small fan blowing air at the VRM as well. But I appreciate the info regardless.

NAS / HTPC
(19 items)
Workstation
(10 items)
CPU
Intel Xeon W3680 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard
Dell 0x501h (BIOS A16, not EFI capable)
GPU
EVGA GTX 1060 Gaming 6GB 06G-P4-6161-KR @ stock
RAM
30GB @ 1066MHz CL7 (3x8GB 2Rx8 1600MHz ECC UDIMMs, 3x2GB 2Rx8 1333MHz non-ECC)
Hard Drive
ZFS mirror (media), ZFS JBOD (gaming etc.), ZFS OS
Power Supply
Seasonic SS-850HT
Cooling
Scythe Ninja 4
Cooling
Sunbeam Rheostat Extreme Fan Controller rev2
Cooling
4 x San Ace 140mm, 2 x Delta AFB 120mm (VRM fans)
Case
CaseLabs Bullet BH8 (white)
Operating System
Antergos XFCE (Antergos repos removed)
Monitor
Panasonic Viera X3 TV
Keyboard
CM Storm Quickfire Pro (Cherry Reds)
Mouse
Logitech M310
Mouse
Itac mouse-trak Industrial Trackball
Mousepad
Cloth
Audio
Creative Sound BlasterX H5 Tournament Edition Headset
Audio
Creative Sound BlasterX G1 USB Sound Card
Audio
Philips HTS3555 5.1 1000w Home Theater
CPU
AMD Athlon II X4 640 @ stock
Motherboard
(Foxconn 2AB1) N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX (latest BIOS, not EFI capable)
GPU
Radeon 5250 @ Stock
RAM
4 x 2GB 1066MHz CL7
Hard Drive
Hitatchi 40gb (ZFS)
Power Supply
OEM 250w?
Cooling
OEM
Case
OEM