Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [Forbes] AMD In Shock Intel-Smashing Performance Claim: Is Cinebench Score Really True?

View Single Post
post #53 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 03:30 AM
pony-tail
Sexagenarian

Rep: 28 (Unique: 21)
Quote: Originally Posted by Digitalwolf View Post
Yes at $2000 why would anyone buy it. I could buy a 2990WX for less than that....

Right now a 2950X is selling on Amazon for USD $799.99.... so to me that would seem like a reasonable top end price range for the mainstream side. You could also say leaks claim that the price should be lower... maybe it will be. I just don't think an AM4 chip at $800+... Well I guess it depends on if they can swing the HEDT crowd over there and if the lack of quad channel memory would affect what they would be running.

It's not like the 16c/32t chip has to be aimed at the general market. They have plenty of products coming (according to leaks etc).

That said.... I am going to guess that at least with some of these chips. If you don't have a pre-order in and the initial batches sell out. Then just like every other "launch" you will see products listed with stupid prices... maybe even $2000... We've seen both GPU's and CPU's listed at double the msrp after the batches sell out.
If their yields are good I do not think there will be major shortages .
That said I may still wait and see if any gen 3 thread-ripper plans are in the works or if it is toast . because it looks like this arch ( particularly the 16/32 version ) would be best served by the extra resources of the thread ripper or similar platform , That is not to say 16/32 on desktop is going to be in any way bad , I just think that dual channel memory and extra pcie lanes would be beneficial