Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [Official] - X58 Xeon Club -

View Single Post
post #14658 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 02:59 PM
Almost Heathen
Linux Gamer

Rep: 58 (Unique: 40)
Quote: Originally Posted by Retrorockit View Post
I noticed that as well, but I thank you for pointing it out all the same. His/her comments piqued my concern with running too much power through the VRM, though I do think the numbers mentioned seem (extremely) conservative. I should pull the heatsinks one of these days and see what components were used for power delivery.

If you're getting 145fsb then you don't have a TME lock.
I couldn't tell if the 145 FSB reading was just a glitch or not. Looking back through screenshots, perhaps not. FSB/DRAM starts to fluctuate higher along with the uncore/QPI while the effective clock speed remains the same (only happens at or above x30 ~4GHz). Then again, HWiNFO threw me several garbage readings (at one point x37 4.9GHz single core). I'll have to try it again with other software to get a second opinion.

It looks like the Alienware Area 51 ALX, and Dell XPS 435MT can swap BIOS, but not the XPS 435T/XPS9000. Alienware went with an ASUS P6T for the bigger tower version.
The XPS730x with H2C peltier had some factory overclock settings. It's another MSI MB. Maybe the BIOS modders can splice a BIOS together for you?
https://www.dell.com/support/article...349004?lang=en
MS 7543 is that MB.

It looks like The Studio XPS 435MT (Micro ATX) got an overclocking BIOS through Alienware as the Aurora ALX.
The Full Tower XPS 730X got overclocking when ordered with a Hybrid Peltier cooler H2C, This may also be an Alienware Area 51-ALX I7 with a water loop.
The XPS435T/ XPS 9000 got left out due to Alienware using an ASUS MB for the midtower systems. I think it's an MSI MB like the other 2 Dell X58 XPS systems.
Thank you for sharing that Dell rebranded MSI for X58 boards (+rep). I couldn't quite tell if they were Foxconn or MSI or something else. I'm surprised the Alienware ALX and 435MT can accept the same BIOS. From the images I'm seeing on ebay, they have a different number of DIMMs and SATA, which is very interesting, I never knew that was possible. I could've sworn I saw an MSI similar to the 0x501h, but couldn't find it again last night. I will have another look at some point.

NAS / HTPC
(19 items)
Workstation
(10 items)
CPU
Intel Xeon W3680 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard
Dell 0x501h (BIOS A16, not EFI capable)
GPU
EVGA GTX 1060 Gaming 6GB 06G-P4-6161-KR @ stock
RAM
30GB @ 1066MHz CL7 (3x8GB 2Rx8 1600MHz ECC UDIMMs, 3x2GB 2Rx8 1333MHz non-ECC)
Hard Drive
ZFS mirror (media), ZFS JBOD (gaming etc.), ZFS OS
Power Supply
Seasonic SS-850HT
Cooling
Scythe Ninja 4
Cooling
Sunbeam Rheostat Extreme Fan Controller rev2
Cooling
4 x San Ace 140mm, 2 x Delta AFB 120mm (VRM fans)
Case
CaseLabs Bullet BH8 (white)
Operating System
Antergos XFCE (Antergos repos removed)
Monitor
Panasonic Viera X3 TV
Keyboard
CM Storm Quickfire Pro (Cherry Reds)
Mouse
Logitech M310
Mouse
Itac mouse-trak Industrial Trackball
Mousepad
Cloth
Audio
Creative Sound BlasterX H5 Tournament Edition Headset
Audio
Creative Sound BlasterX G1 USB Sound Card
Audio
Philips HTS3555 5.1 1000w Home Theater
CPU
AMD Athlon II X4 640 @ stock
Motherboard
(Foxconn 2AB1) N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX (latest BIOS, not EFI capable)
GPU
Radeon 5250 @ Stock
RAM
4 x 2GB 1066MHz CL7
Hard Drive
Hitatchi 40gb (ZFS)
Power Supply
OEM 250w?
Cooling
OEM
Case
OEM
Operating System
Antergos XFCE (Antergos repos removed)
Monitor
HP vp17
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Almost Heathen; 05-30-2019 at 02:33 AM.