Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 Airflow

View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 07:22 AM
doyll
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1645 (Unique: 922)
Quote: Originally Posted by Black_Azrael View Post
@doyll So I tested the temp with the digital thermometer just under the GPU and there's about 1C difference compared to outside air. Sometimes it went a little over 1C difference but not by much. Tested while running Furmark and also with a game.

I actually improved cable management and re-organized the hard drive so that the front intake fan isn't obstructed as much then took off the bays that are empty. It lowered the general operating temperature of the GPU by 4-5C so that's a plus. Though I would still like to lower it even more. Could it be the GPU thermal paste that needs changing?

10c difference is high. I like seeing 2-3c difference when both CPU and GPU are at full load and fans are at full speed. For examples i my systems fans run at about 1000-1200rpm at max load with 19-23c room ambinet. That is just loud enough that in very quiet room I will notice system is working extremely hard .. like encoding with all cors/threads at 100% load .. load is so high system cannot be uded for anything until encode is done processing.

Now you see how much difference a clean airflow path from fans to component makes. It's possibe the PSU TIM is bad .. or maybe it's fans and fins are dirty.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base