Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - The Vinyl Club

Thread: The Vinyl Club
View Single Post
post #39 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:59 AM
bigjdubb
I <3 narcissists

Rep: 219 (Unique: 136)
Well I will start off here and work my way up to other forums.

A buddy of mine who has been trying to convince me to give vinyl a shot gave me a schiit mani to entice me into getting a turntable. So I've been doing some research and have decided that the schiit mani seems to be good for something that only costs $130 and I will be fine if I stick with that. I just need to choose a turn table and I can't really figure out where that sweet spot is for sound/price. I am not an "audiophile" but I do care what it sounds like. I see a lot of suggestions for the Debut Carbon, Rega P1 (seems the most appealing to me), and the Uturn Orbit. I am leaning heavily towards Rega but I can't really decide if I should get the P1 or the P2.

Will I be disappointed with a Rega P1? Will I be limited in what I can get out of it with upgraded cartridges (really like the samples I have heard with the Nagaoka MP-150) compared to the P2? I really don't want to dive in head first with a $1,500 turntable but I also don't want to buy something that I will want to replace in 6 months.

I guess I can frame my point of reference with what I currently use.

DACs: Geshelli labs enog2, topping dx3 pro, schiit modi, and SMSL su-8

Speakers: I got rid of all my amps and passive speakers and have switched to powered monitors (PSB Alpha PS1's at work, PreSonus Eris E5 at home), I don't listen to much music through speakers anymore unless it's ambient/background music while I'm working etc..

Headphones: Quite a few but Ether Flow is where I top out. I use a THX AAA 789 headphone amp for most things but I also have an Aune X7s class A, and a handful of others that aren't as good.

So I sit somewhere in the group that isn't super hard to please but understands what crap is. This is an experiment that I want to dig into because I like the idea of slowing down the music listening process. I feel like the convenience of modern digital music has made it so that I never sit down and appreciate the music, I'm always listening "on the go". I really don't want to spend more than I need to on the turn table because I still need to buy vinyl to play on it.

Gaming Rig
(12 items)
Couch Gaming Rig
(10 items)
Work rig
(11 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Master
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080ti FTW3