Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - Is it time to upgrade my i5 3570k?

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:48 PM
tpi2007
Waiting for 7nm EUV

Rep: 894 (Unique: 503)
Quote: Originally Posted by ais29d View Post
I've had my i5 3570k for quite a while now (since about 2013) and I've had little to no issues with the processor until 2019. I've been experiencing frame drops and stutters doing pretty much anything including just watching videos on youtube. If I'm playing a game and using discord, my audio output or microphone input on discord tends to cut in and out. For the majority of the CPUs lifespan I've had it OC'd at 4.2GHz but I've had it on stock as of late because I thought I may have messed up while overlocking? Still having the same issues though. Every single game I've been playing recently has been stuttering and sometimes just completely freezing to the point that I have to shut off my computer. I mostly play DayZ, PUBG, Path of Exile and Insurgency Sandstorm all at 1080p and have so far been having issues in all of these games. (Surprisingly DayZ runs the best lol) If anyone can help me figure this thing out it would be greatly appreciated. I know it's an old CPU and I should probably upgrade to a 9600k or 9700k soon but, I'm trying to stretch this CPU out as long as it may last.

Bold for emphasis. That shouldn't be happening, a 3570K should be able to play YouTube videos just fine, at the very least at 1080p. Your GTX 1060 should be offloading the decoding of the videos anyway. Try updating your GPU drivers to the latest version (do a clean install), along with the suggestions presented by the other members above.

A 4C/4T CPU will be a limiting factor in gaming at this time though. If you could find an extra cheap 3770K, that would be a worthy consideration, but I'd only do it if I could find some extra cheap 1866 / 2133 Mhz DDR3 RAM to go with it, which brings me to your second problem: while you do have a good amount of RAM, it's a bit slow, at 1333 Mhz. Your CPU's IMC is rated for 1600 Mhz and it can easily do 1866 Mhz or more. However, all things considered, I wouldn't recommend upgrading that or the CPU at this point in time. That low RAM speed will be a factor in your framerates though, especially minimum fps. As I said though, it's hard to make such a recommendation at this point, unless you get a really good deal for both CPU and RAM.

I'd advise you to wait until Zen 2 is released early next month. Even a $199 6C/12T Ryzen 5 3600 paired with a budget B450 motherboard and some 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4 RAM will be a massive upgrade from your current system.

Last edited by tpi2007; 06-23-2019 at 07:08 PM.