Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - What are good value SSDs in 2019? 1TB / Phison E12 + Toshiba

View Single Post
post #41 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 11:23 AM
rui-no-onna
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 296 (Unique: 218)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
I don't know what's going on with SATA drives but they kind of stalled in progress and prices while NVMe is so much faster even if you may not easily notice and dropped to equal price level as those old SATA drives.
As far as speed, it's not like they can do much on that front. They've already hit the limit of the SATA bus more than 5 years ago.

I agree with pricing. At current densities, it's possible to fit 16+TB on the current 2.5" form factor. It's just going to be prohibitively expensive at the moment even with QLC. I doubt demand is currently there for such drives (at least on the consumer end). Hopefully though, QLC pricing goes down eventually as it did with TLC/3D TLC. Maybe when they start using more NAND packages (ergo more parallelism) to get to higher capacities, we'll see QLC-based SSDs saturating SATA for sustained sequential writes again. Sure would be nice to get an 8TB SSD for under $500.

The SATA standard is what it is though and it's not gonna exceed PCIe ever.