Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - What are good value SSDs in 2019? 1TB / Phison E12 + Toshiba

View Single Post
post #83 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
JackCY
Overclocker

Rep: 339 (Unique: 240)
I can't really say for SSDs what other tests would be good to have. I know there is iometer and some companion program to it? And these can be customized for testing, never did it myself only have them saved.

It's good to see these for example:
  • Performance of empty vs full drive, or even a progress of performance as drive fills up, some reviews show this in some way.
  • Fependence of performance on available recovery time (moving data from SLC to storage, etc. time for maintenance tasks), can be dug out from reading the test descriptions/specifications when reviews do go beyond AS/ATTO/CDM.
  • Size of RAM, size of SLC cache, how performance changes when these are exhausted, some reviews have graphs with progressive write filling up the drive, SLC/MLC stays up in speed, TLC often drops but stays usable, QLC tanks to HDD speeds, etc.
  • Temperature photos of the drive vs reported temperature, does it need a heatsink to maintain performance under heavy load and/or being stuck under a hot GPU, possibly what generic cheap heatsink does fit the drive and is low profile enough to not obstruct add in cards, is one sided motherboard heatsink (on the modern mobos) enough to cool it? Or is the controller for example on bottom side and remains uncooled.
  • What other drives have the same/similar specifications, such as a review of 1 Phison E12 drive would have links to all other E12 drives and their reviews when available. A mention of a comparable competing drive say with SM2262EN/WD and differences.
  • Some real worlds tests involving VMs, large Photoshop file processing (I got the drive for this too as I need a fast storage for cache and read/writing a 5GB+ PSB file, Photoshop is horribly optimized and will eat 16GB+ RAM and crap a ton of cache just to open it, editing 12k resolution image with a few layers is so much "fun" in Photoshop, it's like it has been made for editing 1080p images at best), game copy speed (modern games being nearly 100GB... kind of does have it's use), file search, ...
  • Is achieved level of performance worth paying for or does it fall into the category of: for normal user mainly gaming, streaming, ... there is almost no practical difference between 2GB/s and 6GB/s drive... certainly not worth paying +100% in price. But say for a pro use the very low latency offers excellent access times for... "databases", great endurance, stable performance under heavy use and load, ... In that case the drive is worth the high extra. For example.
  • There are often the usual varying Q depth and file size tests, which for non technical people will often be gibberish and all they can make of it is a "ranking" out of a graph.

For a regular home user I would say those CDM/AS/ATTO are helpful so one can check a performance of their own drive and see if they have some issue that needs resolving, if those benches are to be trusted and reliable that is, but then do mention it that a lower performance reported from these is normal under some specific circumstances or even why when known and not a fault of the drive but the bench is made that way.

Of course I do like to see more proper tests, custom tests made with iometer or custom programs etc. Not just PCmark or some other suite though.

Level1Tech sometimes does interesting things with hardware, commenting on real world uses for regular person and a prosumer, checking Linux compatibility, ...

I have not seen or found that guide yet, looks nice. I've added it to OP. I see you've also updated the SSD guide on Tom'sHW. I think I only saw the MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro in a previous one there, which in my region is not available and many guides I found in June were still listing a lot of old drives. Anandtech: https://www.anandtech.com/show/9799/best-ssds still is outdated because prices have changed so much that the E12 drives there cost double and one will overlook them for example. Personally I think the QLC drives like P1, 660p should not be in these recommendations. Some of these older guides are filled with old drives and high prices, making them almost useless in the market that has moved on since both in performance and price.

Rather than having a specific single product recommendation it would be nice to have a recommendation of a "drive design" with a list of drives that use it, especially when all the drives seem to be coming out of one factory anyway, same performance etc. That way one can search the drives in that list in their region and find which are available and for what price. That way it's less likely you will have a recommended drive that is region specific.

I did look up all the E12 and Adata/HP drives in shop aggregators and in shops, to be able to #1 buy one as they are not always available well, #2 buy at a good price.

Yes it's the same archive and files to a bit of the 12.3 update.

12.3 update on P34A80.
If you want, sure I would appreciate that. I did find I think that MP510 and P34A80 can be updated successfully and without data loss at least from v12+ but v11 = data loss.

My drive arrived with 12.2 and it has the sensor readout being at least 15C too low.