Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - I got old Intel instead of Ryzen 3000

View Single Post
post #89 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 03:31 PM
dagget3450
Expert pin bender

Rep: 154 (Unique: 91)
Quote: Originally Posted by Samurai707 View Post
60fps gaming zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
The post you quoted is relevant to this thread though.

Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by 1096bimu View Post
It's faster but not "much" faster by any means of the imagination.
To me "much faster" means 50% more single thread.

Also Ryzen 3000 is fast and low power but I don't think it's cool at all, it's just made from low grade reject server chips, where as the 5960x is a top quality, complete chip. Also there's nothing "advanced" about fans on chipsets. They can't even bother to make an effective heat sink because they want their boards to look like alien space ships.

And for the same price of $570 USD, I'd be looking at bottom end trash MB to go with the 3600. I would much rather prefer an ASUS ROG board.

Yes it would, but there are massive down sides to Zen 1 and Zen+ with inter-core latency. Also I never wanted any of the mainstream boards, Even if I choose AMD it will have to be threadripper, but then thread ripper has too many threads that I don't need.

Also I think you're underestimating Intel, the 5960x is a match for Zen+ not Zen1 considering the clock speed advantages.

Who's gonna run these old Intel chips at stock? They all had so much headroom.

AMD is for some reason ridiculously fast in Cinebench, but not so much in other things especially games. So I don't think 3600 is going to beat the 5960x in Cinebench MT.
The 3600 will be faster in games but I game at 4k60 so CPU performance is not a big issue for me.

Yes I can absolutely sell these as well, but I think I'll use these to wait for next-gen. My old X79 has so many problems and quirks it takes like 5 minutes to boot up because the lack of UEFI, no NVME, and BIOS bugs that aren't getting fixed.

GPU i currently own: 390x/FuryX/Vega FE/RX Vega 64/RX 580 - CPUs: 5960x/R7 1700/X5650x2/E5 2863/e5 2670/R5 3600
Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Owner