Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [NVIDIA] GeForce “Gamescom” Game Ready 436.02 WHQL

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 12:56 PM
anticommon
RTX ON FPS OFF

Rep: 29 (Unique: 26)
(In reply to the previous news thread, which TBH the ~20% Apex improvement alone is newsworthy...)

I was reading on anandtech that the difference is like this:

before the minimum pre rendered frames was 1, but if you go back a decade or so the drivers did at one point feature a '0' max prerendered frames. Not sure if there were compatibility issues or nvidia wanted something to keep in their back pocket for marketing purposes, but anyways the 'Ultra' setting = the old '0' 'On' = 1 and off = 1-3 depending on the developer/game.

It would be nice for someone to do some in-depth about how this setting ultimately affects frametimes and framepacing. Most people would assume frametime > framepacing but if there are other variances such as inconsistent mouse movements, perceivable stutters, etc. it may not be worth it at all.

I think to get the most out of something like this you would want to have your frames capped at a level your GPU can reasonably produce with something like rivatuner, and then set the max prerendered to 0 or 'ultra', that way you know you are being served frames within a certain timeframe and also that none of them are being held back to pace (which you don't need since it is already being artificially capped). If you are pinning your GPU 100% I would imagine this setting could become an issue.

KRAKEN
(13 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA
RAM
Kingston HyperX Predator RGB
Hard Drive
ADATA XPG SX8200
Power Supply
EVGA SUPERNOVA G2
Cooling
EK Velocity Nickel-Plexi, EK Vector RTX Nickel-Plexi, EK EX360, Koolance 360mm, Enermax Neochanger
Case
Thermaltake A500
Operating System
W10 Premium
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
Corsair LUX
Mouse
Logitech G502 Spectrum
Audio
Audiotechnica ATH-900X, SBX G5, MODMIC