Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - Understanding the sizing and limits of PPT TDC and EDC

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
l0rdraiden
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Understanding the sizing and limits of PPT TDC and EDC

I have a x570 gigabyte Master and a 3900x.
How cand I find goot values for PPT TDC and EDC?ç
In auto ryzen master sets them in 142/95/140 if I run a benchmark the 3 of them become at 98%-100% use in ryzen master. So is this limiting the OC capabilities? it is dangerous to increase it? how can I find a good value?

This is the theory

Package Power Tracking (“PPT”): The PPT threshold is the allowed socket power consumption permitted across the voltage rails supplying the socket. Applications with high thread counts, and/or “heavy” threads, can encounter PPT limits that can be alleviated with a raised PPT limit.

Default for Socket AM4 is at least 142W on motherboards rated for 105W TDP processors.
Default for Socket AM4 is at least 88W on motherboards rated for 65W TDP processors.

Thermal Design Current (“TDC”): The maximum current (amps) that can be delivered by a specific motherboard’s voltage regulator configuration in thermally-constrained scenarios.

Default for socket AM4 is at least 95A on motherboards rated for 105W TDP processors.
Default for socket AM4 is at least 60A on motherboards rated for 65W TDP processors.

Electrical Design Current (“EDC”): The maximum current (amps) that can be delivered by a specific motherboard’s voltage regulator configuration in a peak (“spike”) condition for a short period of time.

Default for socket AM4 is 140A on motherboards rated for 105W TDP processors.
Default for socket AM4 is 90A on motherboards rated for 65W TDP processors.