Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - Mesh Network Improve Speed?

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 12:40 PM
steadly2004
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 98 (Unique: 90)
Quote: Originally Posted by jthurmond3 View Post
Thanks ahead of time for any input, and please bare with me because I am not a networking pro. I just recently got ATT 1GB fiber internet, and, unfortunately, there is no way to have a hard wired connection from my computer to the router in my new house. Therefore I reluctantly must use wifi for the first time in my life (for my computer). My big problem with wifi is loss of speed, so I am looking for the best alternative to a hard wired connection. Someone recommended setting up a mesh network and putting one of the nodes right next to my computer and running an ethernet cable from the node to the computer.

I could be missing something, but from my understanding a mesh network primarily increases range without the major loss of bandwidth which would be great for a large home or fixing dead spots. My current setup is in my office which is almost directly above the router which is in the living room. Range is not an issue for me at all and I have a strong signal from my office, however, the speed is much slower. My question is, although range is not an issue at all, would adding a mesh network with a single node like I described above increase my internet speed? Or is there a better option?
I think upgrading the type of WiFi router and card would be your best bet to increase speed and reduce latency.

Mesh would help with distance and weak spots.

But I think the newest standard is 802.11AX, with the prior being AC.

You could get this and not have to worry about buying an AX capable adapter at the PC via a mesh network. As you mentioned above. Or just pick out any adapter/router that are both AX enabled.

Basically you just be plugging in an Ethernet cable to the second mesh point.

https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Surfboa...et-vig-pics-20