Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - (Gigabyte X570 AORUS Master Overclocking Thread)
View Single Post
post #49 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 02:32 PM
Dreams-Visions
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Greetings to everyone contributing to this thread, and thanks to Heuchler for the detailed OP. I've built my first AMD rig for the first time in about 15 years. Basic specs: 3900X, 32GB ram (detailed below), Auros X570 Master, H100i AIO cooler.

I want to bother you all just a little about RAM and overclocking. Just 2 issues, and hoping someone might be able to help.

1.) I've had success with the overclocking tool after many hours of failing. The guide in the OP was extremely helpful in accounting for some voltage block values that I wasn't imputting which seems to have allowed me to not only escape boot loops (several hours of that), but to begin the process of getting stable in Windows. Thank you for your efforts there and throughout the thread. That said, I've noticed that when using the "Safe" timings profile in Ryzen Memory Calculator, my Read, Write, Copy and Latency numbers are really no different from stock. I've attached relevant images, but at stock (18-19-19-19-39 @ 3600):

Read: 54724 | Write: 52525 | Copy: 57072 | Latency: 72.0

"Safe" timings (16-17-16-16-36 @ 3600):

Read: 55741 | Write: 52667 | Copy: 58086 | Latency: 70.9

I had hoped with the lower CL and considerably tighter timings, I'd see latency in the 60s, at least, but nope. At minimum, I thought I would see at least *some* improvement, but I don't see it in testing.

So my question is this: Am I doing something wrong? Is it my RAM kit that simply can't do better timings? I see a few posts up that the Trident Z Neo 32GB 2x16 kit comes recommended for optimum OC. Would that RAM kit give me a better result than what I'm seeing here?

2.) I've been having a bit of paralysis of analysis trying to get some relative perspective on how much of an improvement I could expect from a B-Die kit like the aforementioned 2x16 Trident Z Neo kit (https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-...82E16820232860) with slightly better timings for relatively high resolution and high refresh rate gaming (120fps, 3440x1440) at 3733Mhz OC? If we're talking negligible performance gains, I'll stop losing sleep and keep what I have...but if the gains would be measurable and meaningful, I'll go with that kit or any kits recommended here. I don't really have a point of reference for how a latency of 62ns translates to in-game performance compared to 70ns. I have a preference for a 4x8 kit for the aesthetics but with this being a daisy chain topography I understand that a 2x16 kit is likely to be the better performer. If that ends up being the recommendation, that'll be fine.

Also, I had been looking at some of the 14-14-14-34 @ 3200 kits like this one (https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-...82E16820232850) which is listed in the high-end category of the recommended options, but I don't know if going with something like that and OC'ing it would yield a better, solid result than getting something already at 3600 and tightening the timings. My goal would be 3600 or 3733 with great performance. I do need 32GB as this is my work and play machine. The $350 kit or something equivalent would likely be around my spend limit and I do like the RGB look more than the more standard Flare styling.

Thank you in advance for your insights and recommendations!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stock_vitals.png
Views:	65
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	291412  

Click image for larger version

Name:	OC-1.png
Views:	36
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	291414