Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [OCN LABS] Samsung CRG5 Curved 240hz 1080p Gaming Monitor

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
bluedevil
I TeK things...

[OCN LABS] Samsung CRG5 Curved 240hz 1080p Gaming Monitor

Hey what up OCNers, bluedevil here. Gaming monitors, it seems they are something we have reviewed a few times here before. So being that it’s no surprise being that most of us here are gamers as well. Samsung is continuing it’s crusade into the PC gaming market with releasing yet another gaming monitor more suited for e-sports gamers in the arena of 240hz 1080p gaming. While 4k and 2K gaming is on the rise, sometimes resolution isn’t as important as we all think it might be. Don’t get me wrong, I love me a 1440p display, and I wish there was a 240hz 1440p monitor out there, but there isn’t. The best one would be able to get is the Acer Predator Z271U or the Viewsonic XG2703 that I reviewed a while ago. Do I think it’s possible to get a display up to 240hz at 1440p in the future? Sure, but let’s do some math first. 1080p at 240hz is just shy of 500 million pixels per second. 1440P at 165hz, is just a hair above 608 million pixels per second, so if a 1440p monitor was at 240hz, it would be about 885 million pixels per second. 4K, on the other hand, at 60hz is a little bit under 500 million pixels per second. Sound familiar? 4K at 120hz, 995 million pixels per second. 4K at 144hz, a staggering 1 billion, 194 million pixels per second. So yes, it’s definitely possible if you are looking at the math to have a 240hz 1440p monitor. But at the same time, those panels would drive costs up to more than double that of a comparable 1080p 240hz monitor.

That’s where the Samsung CRG5 27”1080p 240hz curved gaming monitor comes in. Priced at $399 US, which in my opinion, is a very competitive price point in comparison to other monitors in the same refresh rate and resolution class. This G-Sync compatible display, again flexing its main feature which is it’s 240hz refresh rate, however instead of having the normal TN panel, which is actually quite common among higher refresh rate panels, lies a VA panel. Somewhere in between a TN and IPS is where the VA panel type in quality exists, but can still achieve higher refresh rates like that of a TN panel. Another great feature of a VA panel type is little to no backlight bleed or glow that you would typically get with an IPS panel. Now, the idea of a 16:9 monitor with curve kinda put me off, being that it needs to be a decent size to be dubbed the term “immersive” like its big brother the CRG9, which I also reviewed. Sporting a 1500R curvature, is a really aggressive curve to have in a “smaller” monitor. I say smaller with a grain of salt, as I have been gaming on my ultrawide for the past year, which happens to have a 1800R curvature.

Aesthetically, the CRG5 has very clean lines with a small chin, very thin bezels, and a basic stand that lacks height and swivel adjustments. Moving to the backside, is a circular design which houses the 75 x 75mm VESA mounts, along with the vertically mounted inputs which includes 2 HDMI 2.0 ports, a single Displayport 1.2, a service USB 3.0 port, external power, and a 3.5mm headphone jack. What I find interesting here is the inclusion of a Displayport 1.2 port instead of a 1.4 port. Now it is starting to make a little bit more sense why a Displayport 1.2 port was used, as 1080p 240hz would be about the limitation of the connection used. Now for a 1440p 240hz model to come out, a Displayport 1.4 port is definitely a must. Moving over to the external power brick, yup an external power brick, which also has become more of the norm, is an interesting design as well. Not built like the standard external power brick, most of the design is in the base/plug, leaving just a cable to manage back to the monitor. Nice I guess if the power can’t be integrated into the design of the monitor, makes it less of an issue on the other end.

So what’s it like to game on the CRG5? Well being a 27’ monitor with a resolution of 1920x1080, means having a pixel density of about 81 PPI. Meaning one has to sit a little further away to not see the individual pixels as opposed to a 2560x1440 display at 108 PPI. Once you start gaming on the CRG5, you tend to forget that it's 1080p and you get more into the game thanks to G-Sync working alongside the 240hz refresh rate and its 4 millisecond grey to grey response time. Honestly, for what you would pay for, the Samsung CRG5 is competitively priced. Most other brands have their models priced at $430 and above, and that’s for a TN panel, not the VA panel in the CRG5.

So if your heart is still set for a high refresh rate 1440p monitor from Samsung, Samsung also has the CJG5 series, which just might be the better alternative, sans 240hz for 144hz, ups the resolution to 1440p, while losing any sort of adaptive sync technology, for about $300 bucks.

So in terms of flames, 4 out of 5 for this guy. While 1080p gaming is still quite popular, it’s losing ground, so there’s a ding there. Also the stand, which only supports tilt, is severely limited. Another ding. All in all, the CRG5 is a great monitor if you are looking for a better quality 240hz 1080p gaming monitor with G-Sync.

Alright guys, thanks for watching. I’d love to see your comments below on what you think of the CRG5. Also if you haven’t liked and subscribed by now, you know what to do.

I will see you all in the next one.

bluedevil out.

Product link
https://www.samsung.com/us/computing...c27rg50fqnxza/

Last edited by bluedevil; 08-31-2019 at 05:05 AM.