Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [TPU] AMD Readies Three HEDT Chipsets: TRX40, TRX80, and WRX80
View Single Post
post #26 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 12:38 PM
KyadCK
Hey I get one of these!

Rep: 319 (Unique: 222)
Quote: Originally Posted by technodanvan View Post
I apologize, my post was not complete.

Clock speed and cost would be the two primary factors. While Epyc motherboards are priced reasonably well, equivalent (or near-equivalent) 1P chips are notably more expensive than their (faster) TR counterparts. Additionally, the need for ECC compatibility is not necessarily (for me, at least) an immediate concern. A few years down the line as I inevitably replace this hypothetical computer it would probably become my home server. Of course, plans change and all that, but I like having the flexibility - especially at the price point we're talking about.

The Designare has actually been in my watch list for a while now, but I'm 'hoping' to find a board with 10g and a somewhat less ostentatious design. With the exception of Asus, I'm concerned about the ability to shut off all the RGB lighting on these boards without needing to install proprietary software. I know Asus lets you manage it within the BIOS and AsRock seemingly does not (at least I haven't found it yet), but I don't know about other brands.
The Designare has a whole one RGB, on the SB, and can be disabled/changed in BIOS without software.

Forget 10G as a board feature entirely. 10GBase-T (the only 10g they put onboard on consumer boards) is a bad and expensive path to go down with no future. What you want (provided you have not already paid into CAT6) is SFP+, as there is a lot of SFP+ gear for cheap on ebay, as well as QSFP+ (40g) because businesses are upgrading from 10g/40g to 25g/100g. You can pick up a Intel X520-DA1 (or DA2) for like $40-50, fibre itself is actually cheap, and so are 10g transceivers. ...Or if you're like 10ft from your switch you can just buy a $10 DAC and not deal with any of that.

Forge
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Master
GPU
AMD 5700XT PowerColor Devil
RAM
32GB G.Skill TridentZ Neo (2x16GB 3600Mhz/C16)
Hard Drive
Intel 900P 480GB
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Cooling
Corsair H150i
Case
Phanteks Evolv X
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise x64
Monitor
2x Acer XR341CK