Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [Official] NVIDIA RTX 2080 / SUPER Owner's Club

View Single Post
post #526 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 12:42 PM
Ichirou
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hi, I just wanted to drop by and say that I upgraded to an "ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Advanced Overclocked" card last month, and I'm very content with the card. If anyone's been wondering about this card, below are my impressions so far.

The card is extremely cool. If you don't overclock it (just leave it at stock), it never goes over 50-60 C. If you do overclock it, it never goes over 60-70 C. Either way, the fans are super silent even on Performance Mode, so you don't need to enable Silent Mode.

The best I could push the card in MSI Afterburner was +70 MHz on the Core and +1150 MHz on the Memory, full stability (no crashes or glitches) after hours of gameplay and mixed computer use. Of course, this is YMMV. If I push Core to +80 MHz, *some* games will fail to load successfully, or might need a few tries to do so. With Core at +90 MHz, some games will just plain refuse to load. If I push Memory to +1300 MHz, *some* games may close (crash) without any errors stated after a few minutes of gameplay. With Memory at +1200 MHz, crashes are much rarer, but can still happen after prolonged sessions.

In terms of pure Heaven Unigine benchmarking, I was able to test the card at +100 MHz on Core and +1300 MHz on the Memory without any issues. Of course, this is not real-world usage. But that's just to give you an idea for how much potential headroom there might be if silicon lottery favours you. If I pushed Memory to +1500 MHz, the graphics driver would instantly crash and restart. With this card (and probably most others), don't hesitate to immediately push it to +50 MHz on the Core and +1000 MHz Memory right off the bat. Unless you're *really* unlucky, you should be stable on these clocks. I didn't notice any decrease in performance as the Memory clock pushed past this point.

Keep in mind: With the RTX 2080 SUPER, a difference of a few dozen on the Core or a few hundred on the Memory *really* doesn't matter. You're only going to see single digit differences in FPS at most, which really doesn't mean anything. You'll do better toning down the graphics in games. If you emphasize longevity, don't hesitate to stay below your card's achievable max.

I'm not a hardware expert or anything, but if anyone has questions about this card, feel free to ask. I spent quite a lot of time comparing cards in the RTX 2080 SUPER line before buying, and ultimately took the dive on this slightly pricier card for its silent and cool fans. And I don't regret the purchase one bit.

Last edited by Ichirou; 09-05-2019 at 05:02 PM.