Novice Questions - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Novice Questions

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hello All,

Just some quick questions to get me caught up to speed on the extreme OC side of things. I havent been following the scene in a little while.

1) Best memory ic's for 1150 specifically DC? Still PSC, Hynix BFR/MFR, and Samsung HCH0?
2) Is a G3258 good enough for Aqua, 3D01, 3D03?
3) Between Z97/4790 and X79/3930 what would you pick for an enthusiast type competitor? Will one be more dominant than the other in more 3D type benchmarks?
4) Is a 290X competitive? Or is a 980 what you need to score big points for your own account? 290X seems to be keeping up with the GTX 980 at least in the synthetics
5) Finally anyone have any good links to windows stripping guides for 2D/3D? I seem to have lost all of mine.

Thanks for reading and any help you can give. -Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 06:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 89 (Unique: 56)
I can't answer most of those since newest generation hardware doesn't have the type of character that I like to work with. But for the G3258 its a little dicey, the L2 and L3 cache are smaller but those benches are all single threaded.

G3258 sub

4790K sub

Doesn't look like a significant difference between the two but its hard to tell with just the subs. Maybe someone else has tried both?

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 06:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 41 (Unique: 31)
1 ) Can't help you here .
2 ) I think is ok . You have to check hwbot for scores and do a comparison .
3 ) Personally i will go with a Z97+4790K . But if you find a good price on LGA2011 go for it .
4 ) I think GTX 980 will bring more points . There are more submissions with 980 than 290x
5 ) This might be helpful : https://www.overclock.net/t/826902/benchmarking-essentials

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in