Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - Zalman Reserator 1 Resto-Mod Aluminum Loop Build

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
Snerp
SNERP!!!

Rep: 385 (Unique: 225)
Zalman Reserator 1 Resto-Mod Aluminum Loop Build

I know some will think this is dumb, unnecessary, a waste of time and money, perhaps all of the above, but please; kindly make another thread if you wish to express that view. I've been out of the WCing game for about 12 years now, but this weird project idea has brought me back. This is pretty much what I do. I find stuff old or forgotten and make it useful again. Sort of my way of recycling. Plus, we'll have a science experiment. I'm planning on taking temps with just a radiator, just the reserator, and with both.

The Zalman Reserator was a total pile of flaming garbage that someone defecated on. Mixed metals, a pump not fit for a fish tank, small hoses, heavy non-corrosive additive requirement, and (in my personal opinion) blocks that looked as awful as they performed. To top it all off, it wasn't cheap! Many sob stories of galvanic corrosion haunted it around the water cooling forums. All the while Zalman wouldn't accept responsibility, usually claiming user error.

15 or so years later, here we are. I was perusing everyone's favorite auction site for water cooling gear when I remembered this giant turd and wondered where the product progression led. Zalman has actually put out a few products over the years that really did it for me. I'm still using my Zalman Zmachine GT1000 Case, front 1394 port and all! It would seem they have finally conceded to the fact that galvanic corrosion is real and no amount of not believing in it *cough*global warming*cough* would make it go away. They have switched to copper based loops. Which got me thinking in the other direction. Why didn't they just switch to full aluminum based blocks or at least aluminum based loops with copper bases similar to the copper base w/ aluminum fins you see in air cooling. I know that copper is more efficient at transferring heat and aluminum is more efficient at dispersing heat, but science didn't come much into play when compiling this mixed metal monstrosity.

I also ran across the EK Fluid Gaming line of products. Reviews are actually quite decent when comparing to AIO solutions. While diving further down the rabbit hole I had a moment with the Reserator...I assume much like a moment my wife had with me:

"I can fix you," I said.

I ordered up the cheaply listed aluminum monolith. It arrived today. I have sent off a hopeful email to Alphacool since they are the only company currently making a block for my GPU. Hopefully they can help me get my hands on a Thicc III Ultra water block in the alu flavor. We'll just have to see what they say. If they can't help, I'll get one custom milled.

Here's the planned loop:
Zalman Reserator 1
Alphacool Aurora Plexi GPX Eisblock 11760
Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Pro - Black
Lang DDC-310
EK-FG 360 or EK-FG 240 - Figured the addition of an active rad would be a smart move.
EK-ACF ALU FITTING

If Alphacool isn't game, I'll be tinkering with the EK line.

Here are pics of the Reserator. It's a bit larger than I expected. There's a tad of gunk, but it appears to be in pretty decent shape.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reserator.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	533.0 KB
ID:	325134  

FAQ: Teflon Tape...USE IT!OSAMT: "Member of OCN Songwriter and Musician Thread"Proud Member of the OCN Mechanical Keyboad Club!
Alu
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI
GPU
XFX RX 5700 XT THICC III Ultra
RAM
Team T-Force DARK Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 TDPGD416G3200HC14ADC01
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB