Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - Sapphire 5700 XT + Raijintek Morpheus II + VRM heatsink
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
Yuriewitsch
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 16)
Sapphire 5700 XT + Raijintek Morpheus II + VRM heatsink

Well, how to start this.

This is not my first cooling mod. I already got my hands on some AMD graphics cards:
- Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3
- Sapphire R9 290 and Gigabyte R9 290X

I was using my spare Arctic Accelero Xtreme 3 + some aluminium heatsinks to do some "magic", but this time I wanted to try something else, how to say it, more esthetical and pleasing for the eye. Yeah, black FTW. :-)

I bought a cheap reference Sapphire 5700 XT, nice black GPU cooler Raijintek Morpheus II Black and two aluminium heatsinks from Aliexpress.
My idea was to make a black full cover heatsink to cool VRMs and memory on the 5700 XT and for the core I was gonna use Morpheus.

Firstly, I made a template from transparent plastic foil to make my measurement a little easier.

Those two aluminium blocks from Aliexpress were glued together by two component adhesive. Then I used a paper tape to protect this black heatsink from scratching during my "work" with Dremel tool and files.

It took a very long time to get everything done and it was a "pita" job. Plus I sanded whole VRM a memory area with sand paper 1200 to get better contact with thermal pads. But this was only a bottom part of the hetsink.

"Top" part was even worse, I had to make room for Morpheus and its heatpipes around core.
It wasn't easy, I don't know how many times I checked clearance and gaps between Morpheus and full cover heatsink. There was always something in the way.

Between Morpheus and core I used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut thermal paste and on memory chips and VRM I used Gelid GP-Extreme thermal pads (12 W/mK). Also I placed plastic washers between PCB and heatsink to get straight preasure on whole area.

On "backside" of the card I used original backplate with Phobya thermal pads under it to get even lower temps on those bloody memory chips. To avoid short curcuit I placed double sided thermal tape (I think Akasa or Alphacool) on almost every small component on PCB.
Fans choice, which would go on Morpheus, took also a long time, but I eventually chose this relatively cheap Arctic P12 PST CO fans.

To mount this heatsink to card I drilled 2,5mm holes into it and used M3 screw-tap to create an even thread. I think 20 screwes hold this beast, so it is fair to say that it's not going anywhere.

When everything was done I could finally screw everything together and "create" this beauty:

This is how it looks in my moded Jonsbo RM4 case (lots of modifications, I have to make a build log someday):

To check temps and noise I made it run through Fire Strike Ultra benchmark with my "sweet spot" 2100/900/1,15V settings and here is a result (ambient temp in the room was 24°C):

I really like how this mod turned out, it took hell of a time, but in my opinion it was worth it.
Frankly, I like this 5700 XT mod a lot.

Feel free to ask, share, comment, criticise, whatever...
I hope this mod will inspire others to not be afraid to get their hands on hardware, it's OVERCLOCK.NET anyway. :-)

Case: Jonsbo RM4 mod PSU: Corsair RM750 CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 4x4GB GPU: Sapphire 5700XT + Raijintech Morpheus mod