Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - Kraken G12 X53 and GTX 1080 in 680x
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
masscrazy
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 5)
Quote: Originally Posted by buyology View Post
I think, you shouldn't buy G12&X53 Kraken for GTX1080 in 2020, its not worth the cost

X53 for cpu is a good option and you can mount it on top, LL120 fans at bottom will be nice IMO
Well I'd like to get as much performance out my 1080 as possible, I dont plan to change it anytime soon. I could re-use the x53 (x72 see below) or sell it on. Same with G12.

Quote: Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
Dual rad setups should be two exhausts, one at the rear and one at the top. If yours doesn't fit at the top, you have two options:
1) Reverse the airflow - put one rad at top as exhaust, one rad at front as exhaust, and one fan at rear as intake. It's "fundamentally" correct and the case itself won't build up hot air, but temps of the exact components may not be optimal.
2) Keep airflow standard, but put one radiator as intake. It means one component will be cool at the expanse of another component which will be heated.
It won't matter much, just pick what you prefer.

As for debating which radiator goes to which component, it won't matter much. This 1080 is about 250W TDP when overclocked, right? So the Kuhler will probably hold the temps at max 55c (with 24c ambient), and the X53 will probably be at around 40c. You won't need high speed fans for this performance, max 1500RPM should be good.

One final word about this card, it has a frontplate. This frontplate WILL interfere with how the water block sits on the GPU. Jayz2Cents mentions it in some video.
I saw the jays2cents video, however the MSI Armour/Gamingx plates dont seem to intefere with install - see here ->

So heres whats happened. Today I noticed that the X72 and G12 were on offer!!
I will go for these, just because its cheaper to go for x72+G12, instead of x53.

I will therefore place the 360 x72, in front as intake. Keep Kuhler at rear as exhaust. Two fans on room for exhaust and two fans below as intake.

Thats 5 fans intake (front 3 and bottom 2) and 3 fans exhaust (rear 1 and top 2).

Does that sound reasonable?

fyi - gpu will be vertically mounted with riser cable.

Last edited by masscrazy; 04-30-2020 at 06:42 AM.