GPU Team - Monster - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

GPU Team - Monster

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 32 (Unique: 30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ictinike View Post
It's OK, being confused, we all are at some point; don't feel anything negative. Let me break this down via your comments and if you need anything else let me know, I'll keep trying to check back but if not PM me

Yes exactly what I'm describing.

Well technically the card IS set to what you have it to regardless of the 54Mhz increment. The shaders however, regardless of what you place them at, will only run on the 54Mhz increment they are designed to run. So again lets say you have 1000 for the shader. If you make it 1026, it still will run on the 1000 shader strap. Now once you go beyond 50% to the next strap increment, ie: 1027-1054, it will default to the 1054 strap.

You don't have to set them to the 54Mhz strap but regardless, as stated above, they WILL run at these pre-defined straps. The shaders are designed this way.

This is just like any other overclocking. Your card must not be able to keep up and artifacts. Remember though in Folding you can't *really* use a tool to test the OC, per se, because if you unlink the shaders and bump them but don't bump core, it's unbalanced and you WILL see artifacts. Just because it artifacts in a benchmark or scanning artifact tool does NOT mean it's unstable in [email protected] Hope that made sense. Your NOT displaying graphics or using the core/memory in [email protected], only shaders so the rules don't really apply here.

For the card to function as a video card, that is work in games, etc; the core to strap ratio is typically 1:2. When you LINK the shaders and bump the core your shaders will also follow to the next available stable strap keeping the 1:2 ratio intact.

This is why if you UNLINK the shaders, and bump just them for folding, your card will most likely artifact or crash when you use it for anything OTHER than [email protected] Most of us have profiles in RivaTuner that will allow us to run a shader setting only for [email protected] but if I leave this strap setup and try to game I nearly instantly BSOD. I have to revert my straps BACK to the stock settings and/or another stable overclock using all THREE components to game with an overclocked card.

Again, just unlinking and bumping shaders to higher straps only affects [email protected] and if NOT kept within range of the core/memory while using the card for gaming or benchmarking it most likely will crash.

Sorry if this is confusing, it's hard to explain via 'type written words'
ok I understand now......pretty much everything, now i just have a question asking for your suggestion rather then teaching lol

at 735, 1512, and 1330 I can run anything I want including [email protected] and any game.

My memory and core will move higher, I tested all the way to 745 and 1345... Although once I hit the next shader strap, it is unstable.....BUT what I picked up from what you said, I can indeed run it at the next strap or if lucky maybe higher......so nothing can go wrong from this? client side? gpu?

also what kind of jump do you give your shaders when folding? whats your normal gaming profile? Just curious to see how aggressive others are....I don't want to beat up my gpu lol

I am a little concerned of how far I should push my gpu because on my last build......Being it was already 5 years old. I tried overclocking my gpu , a month later it fried and I think it took the mobo with it......lol fx5950 Ultra 256
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 03:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 54 (Unique: 44)
Why would you wanna move to the next shader strap when you say its unstable? You would get errors from the folding client for which you need to keep a constant check on your folding log. But you can always try.

I was running the shaders at 1782, it worked well for a few hours but after that i had several errors which i noticed after some time. Now i run a strap low and its perfectly stable.

The Black Mesa Survivors Club

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryBird View Post
Why would you wanna move to the next shader strap when you say its unstable? You would get errors from the folding client for which you need to keep a constant check on your folding log. But you can always try.

I was running the shaders at 1782, it worked well for a few hours but after that i had several errors which i noticed after some time. Now i run a strap low and its perfectly stable.
well technically hes right about how it may be unstable when actually pushing a stream onto your monitor, but when folding I guess it can run slightly higher without going unstable.....although I'm sure it changes from card to card

I haven't touched my clocks and I think i decided to just keep the same profile running at all times. My next shader strap artifacts only after a minute or so in ati tool, so it can't be too great for folding either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Fettered Firewall

Rep: 332 (Unique: 278)
Sorry Berger.. I didn't mean to come off being a "teacher" so much as being the "sugguestor"

But yes, what your thinking is correct. Just because a strap is not stable in gaming or benchmarking doesn't mean it can't be stable for [email protected]

I run my strap for folding 2-3 times higher than I would gaming and honestly at the strap I'm on now for [email protected] if I even go into a game I crash with BSOD because the core and memory are not in-line with the strap I'm using. I have to typically revert back to stock for my gaming profiles and remember to bump it back up using RivaTuner.

[Edit]

As for the way of straps for [email protected] I use stock GTX 285 CLOCKS and bump only the shader to either 1620 or 1674.

Just for reference the 285's base shader strap is 1476, so I'm nearly 200mhz above stock.

For gaming, I just revert back to 285 stock settings and this thing handles everything I've thrown at it. I don't really OC this for gaming since again it handles what I want it to.

f

CPU
Intel Core i7 4930K
Motherboard
ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
GPU
MSI Gaming X - GTX 1080
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4x8GB
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 850
Power Supply
Corsair GS700
Cooling
Corsair Hydro H90
Case
Corsair Obsidian 750
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional
Monitor
Dell S2716DG
Keyboard
Custom Mechanical (Ortholinear Planc Keyboard)
Mouse
Razor Naga MMO
Audio
ASUS Xonar DGX
▲ hide details ▲

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Sorry Berger.. I didn't mean to come off being a "teacher" so much as being the "sugguestor"

But yes, what your thinking is correct. Just because a strap is not stable in gaming or benchmarking doesn't mean it can't be stable for [email protected]

I run my strap for folding 2-3 times higher than I would gaming and honestly at the strap I'm on now for [email protected] if I even go into a game I crash with BSOD because the core and memory are not in-line with the strap I'm using. I have to typically revert back to stock for my gaming profiles and remember to bump it back up using RivaTuner.

[Edit]

As for the way of straps for [email protected] I use stock GTX 285 CLOCKS and bump only the shader to either 1620 or 1674.

Just for reference the 285's base shader strap is 1476, so I'm nearly 200mhz above stock.

For gaming, I just revert back to 285 stock settings and this thing handles everything I've thrown at it. I don't really OC this for gaming since again it handles what I want it to.

f
I was just saying that as in a way to coax more information out of you lol...sorry for taking advantage but thanks a lot for the insight

the techniques and ways of overclocking a video card are simple, it's just nice to know how others treat theirs and how they run their setup with what they are doing.......

I think just for the hell of it, I'm gonna get an overclock going without the voltage tuner, and then when I fold I will just use stock clocks and bump the shaders only like you are.....Although I had my shader and core unlinked........I still think the voltage tuner is not safe, and led to that bsod I had earlier. I mean evga does say any physical damage is not their fault....that only means they don't know how every card will respond....

Nickel suggested shooting for the FTW clocks, but I know I can run past them easily without any voltage changing.....So we shall see what it looks like
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Fettered Firewall

Yea.. it's a game really.. Shoot for what you want, tweak and most times you setting for whats stable not what you want. I can run FTW clocks on this 285 but honestly, the 2-10 fps it gets me are negliable

We wouldn't be trying for "the pursuit of performance" if we didn't BSOD, fry a piece of hardware here or there or others; it's part of the fascination we have with the hardware and theories

Your doing fine and again find what fits and is comfortable and always shoot for higher!

[BTW] Thanks for those last rep mate! They put me over the top for my 250th rep and 3 flames so I greatly appreciate it mate!

CPU
Intel Core i7 4930K
Motherboard
GPU
MSI Gaming X - GTX 1080
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4x8GB
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 850
Power Supply
Corsair GS700
Cooling
Corsair Hydro H90
Case
Corsair Obsidian 750
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional
Monitor
Dell S2716DG
Keyboard
Mouse
Razor Naga MMO
Audio
ASUS Xonar DGX
▲ hide details ▲

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Yea.. it's a game really.. Shoot for what you want, tweak and most times you setting for whats stable not what you want. I can run FTW clocks on this 285 but honestly, the 2-10 fps it gets me are negliable

We wouldn't be trying for "the pursuit of performance" if we didn't BSOD, fry a piece of hardware here or there or others; it's part of the fascination we have with the hardware and theories

Your doing fine and again find what fits and is comfortable and always shoot for higher!

[BTW] Thanks for those last rep mate! They put me over the top for my 250th rep and 3 flames so I greatly appreciate it mate!
lol no problem at all.....I am the one who should be thanking you.....all of the questions I had about this topic were answered by you and I had many attempts on other threads to find the same information.

I just found it odd that my gpu liked the overclock at first, and then it didn't. I know it had something to do with the voltage tuner......

Something that might make you cringe....Two days ago when I reinstalled my drivers(don't ask why lol), the voltage tuner started up and put my voltage to under stock....by a lot....So I decided to test it with my overclock....didn't take one second for it to crash lol....
stock: 1188mv
after reinstall: 1000mv

When I saw those numbers I lol'd quite a bit before I decided to test it
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Fettered Firewall

Yea I have that voltage tuner however it doesn't currently support the 55nm cores

I used it a bit on my 65nm 260 c216 with good results but also had several crashes trying to add voltage. I'm so happy now with this 285 and was a step up for $60 from my 260.

I almost got 10k PPD out of this single 285 today alone

CPU
Intel Core i7 4930K
Motherboard
GPU
MSI Gaming X - GTX 1080
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4x8GB
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 850
Power Supply
Corsair GS700
Cooling
Corsair Hydro H90
Case
Corsair Obsidian 750
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional
Monitor
Dell S2716DG
Keyboard
Mouse
Razor Naga MMO
Audio
ASUS Xonar DGX
▲ hide details ▲

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Yea I have that voltage tuner however it doesn't currently support the 55nm cores

I used it a bit on my 65nm 260 c216 with good results but also had several crashes trying to add voltage. I'm so happy now with this 285 and was a step up for $60 from my 260.

I almost got 10k PPD out of this single 285 today alone
thats sick lol now if I only folded 24/7
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in