Rep: 163 (Unique: 149)
I don't believe you..

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 03:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 137 (Unique: 121)
lol we just started folding.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...hp?s=&u=436005

^me

Audio Setup: Creative Sound Blaster Z>Schiit Modi SPDIF DAC>Schiit Vali/Magni AMP>Denon AHD-5000/Beyerdynamic T-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 32 (Unique: 30)
so I think my shaders wont go past where I am at now.

core: 710
shaders-unlinked: 1566
memory: 1224

after watching it fold every type of WU, the 511's get me down to about 6700, and the rest never get below 7k, and I max out around 9k

oh and even though I know the 511's run it hotter then usual, my temps go up from around 65 to around 75
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

never updated my clocks.

Core: 735
Shader: 1535
Memory: 1330
Voltage: 1225mv
.........still checking to see how the next voltage bump effects my clocks.

STOCK:
Core: 648
Shader: 1404
Memory: 1161
Voltage: 1188mv
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Fettered Firewall

Rep: 332 (Unique: 278)
Just remember.. For folding you only need the Shader Strap's overclocked. The Core and Memory overclocks only lead to more heat and possible instability.

There are times where the shader's won't go any higher without core but you take a chance of an unstable machine error on the GPU2 clients.

Shader straps go up in 54Mhz increments I believe so use that as a guide and get shaders as high as you can without core/mem increases.

That's just for folding now, regular gaming and OC then all 3 are pertinent

CPU
Intel Core i7 4930K
Motherboard
ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
GPU
MSI Gaming X - GTX 1080
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4x8GB
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 850
Power Supply
Corsair GS700
Cooling
Corsair Hydro H90
Case
Corsair Obsidian 750
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional
Monitor
Dell S2716DG
Keyboard
Custom Mechanical (Ortholinear Planc Keyboard)
Mouse
Razor Naga MMO
Audio
ASUS Xonar DGX
▲ hide details ▲

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ictinike View Post
Just remember.. For folding you only need the Shader Strap's overclocked. The Core and Memory overclocks only lead to more heat and possible instability.

There are times where the shader's won't go any higher without core but you take a chance of an unstable machine error on the GPU2 clients.

Shader straps go up in 54Mhz increments I believe so use that as a guide and get shaders as high as you can without core/mem increases.

That's just for folding now, regular gaming and OC then all 3 are pertinent
if these straps exist why am I able to put in any value I want?

and I thought the more memory and core you get, the more it will allow you to push the shaders
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Fettered Firewall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berger View Post
if these straps exist why am I able to put in any value I want?

and I thought the more memory and core you get, the more it will allow you to push the shaders
You can choose any value you want however the nVidia shaders will only go in those increments. An example of this is RivaTuner. I use the G15 tool in Riva to display my system conditions; clocks, temps, speeds, etc and even though I can choose any value, Riva always displays the straps at the 54Mhz increment up or down.

Even tho your setting it to whatever you want, it goes up to the next strap if > 50% to the next or down to the lower strap if < 50%.

There are some threads here about this and it's been confirmed.

As for the core, sure, you can use core/memory to help increase the shaders to the next strap but again doing so adds heat. It's entirely up to you if you want but again, the shaders are only factor in GPU2 folding that give more or less PPD.

CPU
Intel Core i7 4930K
Motherboard
GPU
MSI Gaming X - GTX 1080
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4x8GB
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 850
Power Supply
Corsair GS700
Cooling
Corsair Hydro H90
Case
Corsair Obsidian 750
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional
Monitor
Dell S2716DG
Keyboard
Mouse
Razor Naga MMO
Audio
ASUS Xonar DGX
▲ hide details ▲

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ictinike View Post
You can choose any value you want however the nVidia shaders will only go in those increments. An example of this is RivaTuner. I use the G15 tool in Riva to display my system conditions; clocks, temps, speeds, etc and even though I can choose any value, Riva always displays the straps at the 54Mhz increment up or down.

Even tho your setting it to whatever you want, it goes up to the next strap if > 50% to the next or down to the lower strap if < 50%.

There are some threads here about this and it's been confirmed.

As for the core, sure, you can use core/memory to help increase the shaders to the next strap but again doing so adds heat. It's entirely up to you if you want but again, the shaders are only factor in GPU2 folding that give more or less PPD.
I'm sort of confused.......when I run gpu z it shows the value I enter in Precision for shaders...but on precision-in the actual gauge showing the real time speed, it does in fact jump by 54......

So if I have 1535 in gpu z....... precision is showing a reading of 1512.......once I get high enough it hits 1566......so I guess this is exactly what you are talking about?

why does gpuz copy what I enter in? and not the actual value?
^kinda makes me want to uninstall the useless progie now

So I have to follow the 54mhz increments?

Why do they exist? doesn't that negate performance?

and how come I can run stable with my shaders at 1535-1539 but once I hit 1540 it artifacts?
^makes me a non believer of shader straps.....but like always their is something I'm missing

also how does linked and nonlinked effect the straps?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 08:05 AM
Fettered Firewall

It's OK, being confused, we all are at some point; don't feel anything negative. Let me break this down via your comments and if you need anything else let me know, I'll keep trying to check back but if not PM me

Quote:
I'm sort of confused.......when I run gpu z it shows the value I enter in Precision for shaders...but on precision-in the actual gauge showing the real time speed, it does in fact jump by 54......

So if I have 1535 in gpu z....... precision is showing a reading of 1512.......once I get high enough it hits 1566......so I guess this is exactly what you are talking about?
Yes exactly what I'm describing.

Quote:
why does gpuz copy what I enter in? and not the actual value?
^kinda makes me want to uninstall the useless progie now
Well technically the card IS set to what you have it to regardless of the 54Mhz increment. The shaders however, regardless of what you place them at, will only run on the 54Mhz increment they are designed to run. So again lets say you have 1000 for the shader. If you make it 1026, it still will run on the 1000 shader strap. Now once you go beyond 50% to the next strap increment, ie: 1027-1054, it will default to the 1054 strap.

Quote:
So I have to follow the 54mhz increments?

Why do they exist? doesn't that negate performance?
You don't have to set them to the 54Mhz strap but regardless, as stated above, they WILL run at these pre-defined straps. The shaders are designed this way.

Quote:
and how come I can run stable with my shaders at 1535-1539 but once I hit 1540 it artifacts?
^makes me a non believer of shader straps.....but like always their is something I'm missing
This is just like any other overclocking. Your card must not be able to keep up and artifacts. Remember though in Folding you can't *really* use a tool to test the OC, per se, because if you unlink the shaders and bump them but don't bump core, it's unbalanced and you WILL see artifacts. Just because it artifacts in a benchmark or scanning artifact tool does NOT mean it's unstable in [email protected] Hope that made sense. Your NOT displaying graphics or using the core/memory in [email protected], only shaders so the rules don't really apply here.

Quote:
also how does linked and nonlinked effect the straps?
For the card to function as a video card, that is work in games, etc; the core to strap ratio is typically 1:2. When you LINK the shaders and bump the core your shaders will also follow to the next available stable strap keeping the 1:2 ratio intact.

This is why if you UNLINK the shaders, and bump just them for folding, your card will most likely artifact or crash when you use it for anything OTHER than [email protected] Most of us have profiles in RivaTuner that will allow us to run a shader setting only for [email protected] but if I leave this strap setup and try to game I nearly instantly BSOD. I have to revert my straps BACK to the stock settings and/or another stable overclock using all THREE components to game with an overclocked card.

Again, just unlinking and bumping shaders to higher straps only affects [email protected] and if NOT kept within range of the core/memory while using the card for gaming or benchmarking it most likely will crash.

Sorry if this is confusing, it's hard to explain via 'type written words'

CPU
Intel Core i7 4930K
Motherboard
GPU
MSI Gaming X - GTX 1080
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4x8GB
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 850
Power Supply
Corsair GS700
Cooling
Corsair Hydro H90
Case
Corsair Obsidian 750
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional
Monitor
Dell S2716DG
Keyboard
Mouse
Razor Naga MMO
Audio
ASUS Xonar DGX
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in