Suggestion for GPU folding comp: - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Suggestion for GPU folding comp:

post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 10:08 AM
/╲/( ͡° ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ͡°)/\╱\

Rep: 296 (Unique: 227)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecdm View Post
My idea wasn't using multiple cpu's and gpu's, it wasn just one or the other. It was also meant to replace both competitions. So there wouldn't be a third, it would be one competition to rule them all .
you forgot the "Muahahaha!!!"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 10:18 AM
I TeK things...

I see now mike. That may actually work. But I will not allow any sort of multiplier to be added.

post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 740 (Unique: 540)
I was opposed to the multiplier thing myself. Any type of device used to create artificial points or limit others is a negative in my book.

I know there will always be a money issue, and those with more of it will always have a better shot. But, there is only so much that you can do before it starts to detract from the competition.

The Q9550 can compete with an i5 rig or an i7 w/o HT. It's the Q6600 that will get left behind, but if there are 9800gt's and gts 250 folding as well, that will even the odds. Really the only downside I see is, if you get a team with 4 gtx 275/285. That would kind of take the fun out of things, but they can be beat. My i5 can still put out more points than any gtx 285. It just depends on how we clock them.

My idea can work for the regular competition as well. It's time for a change and more and more people have quads now. The original guidelines were made years ago, and the argument as of late was "so that everyone has a shot." Well, not everyone wants to play.

Honestly, I have no idea if it will work or bring more people. It's just an attempt at change. I personally would like to see just one competition. There would just have to be someway or rule to where things can remain somewhat balanced.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 07:10 PM
OCN ***** Warz Champ 2010

Rep: 21 (Unique: 19)
Man my head hurts...LOL

-TrippinBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnage of Death go_quote.gif
some guy on these forums got 4.67ghz stable
and on youtube some guy got 5ghz

5ghz x 4 cores thats 20 cores and + hyperthreads thats 5ghz x 8 cores thats 40 cores on a i7

and 4.2ghz x 8 cores is 33ghz so basicly 33 cores

post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 07:23 PM
/╲/( ͡° ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ͡°)/\╱\

Rep: 296 (Unique: 227)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecdm View Post
I was opposed to the multiplier thing myself. Any type of device used to create artificial points or limit others is a negative in my book.

I know there will always be a money issue, and those with more of it will always have a better shot. But, there is only so much that you can do before it starts to detract from the competition.

The Q9550 can compete with an i5 rig or an i7 w/o HT. It's the Q6600 that will get left behind, but if there are 9800gt's and gts 250 folding as well, that will even the odds. Really the only downside I see is, if you get a team with 4 gtx 275/285. That would kind of take the fun out of things, but they can be beat. My i5 can still put out more points than any gtx 285. It just depends on how we clock them.

My idea can work for the regular competition as well. It's time for a change and more and more people have quads now. The original guidelines were made years ago, and the argument as of late was "so that everyone has a shot." Well, not everyone wants to play.

Honestly, I have no idea if it will work or bring more people. It's just an attempt at change. I personally would like to see just one competition. There would just have to be someway or rule to where things can remain somewhat balanced.
I agree for the most part.

It seems as if both competitions have been slumping lately. It also seems as if people on this forum have been losing interest in folding (I know there are reasons for this, like electricity and such).

This could be a good way to spark interest in folding for OCN again. It used to be that people wanted a folding post-bit. But the e-peen of that has worn off. Perhaps merging the remaining competitions into a larger, OCN wide competition (instead of separating the higher producing single GPU's), is the best way. Within that, maybe separate things into classes:

-Dual-Core's
-Quad-Core's
-Nvidia GPU's
-ATI GPU's

Something like this maybe. Within one subforum, instead of divided. Then those interested in folding don't have to differentiate between the Original Comp, the GPU Comp, etc.

post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 442 (Unique: 323)
Why are multipliers such a bad idea? I think that would work great.

Take me down to the paradise city where the grass is green and the girls are pretty.

Quote:Originally Posted by BFRD in suggestions forum 
*poof*
Bravo One
(15 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700k
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X-UD3
GPU
EVGA GTX1070 SC ACX3.0
RAM
16GB EVGA DDR4-2400mhz (2x8GB)
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 120GB
Hard Drive
WD 1TB
Hard Drive
WD 500GB
Hard Drive
WD 250GB
Power Supply
Corsair HX520
Cooling
Cooler Master Hyper TX3
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
Operating System
Windows 10 x64
Monitor
24" Asus
Monitor
24" Samsung
Keyboard
OCN/Ducky Mechanical
▲ hide details ▲

post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 08:00 PM
I TeK things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdo124 View Post
Why are multipliers such a bad idea? I think that would work great.
For the sake of keeping score/creating false points. Mortimersnerd and myself are working on a program for this sake.

post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 442 (Unique: 323)
W4LNUT5 said a program could easily do the multis.

Take me down to the paradise city where the grass is green and the girls are pretty.

Quote:Originally Posted by BFRD in suggestions forum 
*poof*
Bravo One
(15 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700k
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X-UD3
GPU
EVGA GTX1070 SC ACX3.0
RAM
16GB EVGA DDR4-2400mhz (2x8GB)
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 120GB
Hard Drive
WD 1TB
Hard Drive
WD 500GB
Hard Drive
WD 250GB
Power Supply
Corsair HX520
Cooling
Cooler Master Hyper TX3
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
Operating System
Windows 10 x64
Monitor
24" Asus
Monitor
24" Samsung
Keyboard
OCN/Ducky Mechanical
▲ hide details ▲

post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 08:18 PM
I TeK things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdo124 View Post
W4LNUT5 said a program could easily do the multis.
Which is exactly what I had stated.

post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 08:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 264 (Unique: 221)
I think we are missing the fact that folding for the cause is the point yes, but when it isnt fun and is costing you a large chunk of time and money it takes more then that to stay involved in it!

Early 2012 Upgrade- 6 Cores/6 TB/16 GB/3xIPS/Corsair Case
Working 2 Jobs Till Then FTW

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in