Suggestion for GPU folding comp: - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Suggestion for GPU folding comp:

post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 261 (Unique: 206)
Based on a discussion from some of the team members in the GPU folding competition, do you think it would attract more folders if limitations were put on the team makeup?

For instance, if we had many teams (which we currently don't), they could be split in to classes, or by GPU series. Or limit the makeup of each team, so that you can't have one team with 3x275's.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 10:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 85 (Unique: 65)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometoast View Post
Based on a discussion from some of the team members in the GPU folding competition, do you think it would attract more folders if limitations were put on the team makeup?

For instance, if we had many teams (which we currently don't), they could be split in to classes, or by GPU series. Or limit the makeup of each team, so that you can't have one team with 3x275's.

Thoughts?
+1

Team make up or a point cap anything at this point. Whatever will make it so i want to log in and see places changing all the time you never know if you will be in the lead or last place that was the cream of the competition.

Do away with first place decided in the first week. Its boring seeing the same team in the same place month after month. Time for an overhaul.

Gr33nMachine
-=I Fold for 37726=-

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 10:17 AM
/╲/( ͡° ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ͡°)/\╱\

Rep: 296 (Unique: 227)
Could throw in an achor card. Perhaps make it mandatory to have at least 1 ATI card representative for each team.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 11:04 AM
OCN ***** Warz Champ 2010

Rep: 21 (Unique: 19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4LNUT5 View Post
Could throw in an achor card. Perhaps make it mandatory to have at least 1 ATI card representative for each team.
Anchor card would be kewl If so I have an ATI guy already on my Team

-TrippinBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnage of Death go_quote.gif
some guy on these forums got 4.67ghz stable
and on youtube some guy got 5ghz

5ghz x 4 cores thats 20 cores and + hyperthreads thats 5ghz x 8 cores thats 40 cores on a i7

and 4.2ghz x 8 cores is 33ghz so basicly 33 cores

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 740 (Unique: 540)
I wouldn't mind different classes, but it doesn't seem like it would change much for us. Pretty much all of us have something between a gtx 260-285. You really can't break that up and there aren't many new people interested that have a gtx 2xx card. Towards the beginning of this competition, my gtx 260 was beating just about everyone, even a few who had 280's and 285s. Then several of us stepped up to 275's.

So basically, the way i see it, we would just add a class for 8800-9800 series, and an ATI class. I know that often any of these two cards would get turned down.

My idea is to do away with the gpu competition and have an all out, uncapped competition. Quads all out and gpu's all out will be included. Only rules are, i7 can only use 4 cores. If fermi ever comes out, then the rules might change. I figure that adding in the bonus point factor of the smp2 would make things more interesting. A quad overclocked to 4.0ghz can pretty much equal a gtx 260 or maybe surpass it. Downside is that it makes it so that dual cores can't compete, but as it is, there aren't too many in the original comp with dual cores anymore.

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 02:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 85 (Unique: 65)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecdm View Post
I wouldn't mind different classes, but it doesn't seem like it would change much for us. Pretty much all of us have something between a gtx 260-285. You really can't break that up and there aren't many new people interested that have a gtx 2xx card. Towards the beginning of this competition, my gtx 260 was beating just about everyone, even a few who had 280's and 285s. Then several of us stepped up to 275's.

So basically, the way i see it, we would just add a class for 8800-9800 series, and an ATI class. I know that often any of these two cards would get turned down.

My idea is to do away with the gpu competition and have an all out, uncapped competition. Quads all out and gpu's all out will be included. Only rules are, i7 can only use 4 cores. If fermi ever comes out, then the rules might change. I figure that adding in the bonus point factor of the smp2 would make things more interesting. A quad overclocked to 4.0ghz can pretty much equal a gtx 260 or maybe surpass it. Downside is that it makes it so that dual cores can't compete, but as it is, there aren't too many in the original comp with dual cores anymore.
I like that, with some modification this could fun.

Gr33nMachine
-=I Fold for 37726=-

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 03:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 264 (Unique: 221)
maybe figure out some kind of multiplier for the lower cards or something. Like each card earns a multiplier, 260 is +2%, 9800GTX is +15% 9800GT is plus +20%. And then dd that onto their normal scores. So A 5k 9800GTX would count for 5750 ppd. But obviously the percent would still need to be more. like the 9800 GTX gets a 30% bonus

Idk weird idea but could help get more people involved

Early 2012 Upgrade- 6 Cores/6 TB/16 GB/3xIPS/Corsair Case
Working 2 Jobs Till Then FTW

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 03:43 PM
/╲/( ͡° ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ͡°)/\╱\

Rep: 296 (Unique: 227)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdla4ever View Post
maybe figure out some kind of multiplier for the lower cards or something. Like each card earns a multiplier, 260 is +2%, 9800GTX is +15% 9800GT is plus +20%. And then dd that onto their normal scores. So A 5k 9800GTX would count for 5750 ppd. But obviously the percent would still need to be more. like the 9800 GTX gets a 30% bonus

Idk weird idea but could help get more people involved
Something like this could help encourage people to overclock their cards. Could make it worth it.

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 260 (Unique: 223)
I am wondering what kind of hardware the guys on page 1 are running, also I wonder if I, a single folder compete with teams of multiple folders. Could there be a distinction for people "going it alone" and people "pooling" folding points? Is it even allowed to pool folding points on team 37726?

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 442 (Unique: 323)
I thought about the multiplier thing too, but wouldn't that make stats a lot harder?

Take me down to the paradise city where the grass is green and the girls are pretty.

Quote:Originally Posted by BFRD in suggestions forum 
*poof*
Bravo One
(15 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700k
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X-UD3
GPU
EVGA GTX1070 SC ACX3.0
RAM
16GB EVGA DDR4-2400mhz (2x8GB)
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 120GB
Hard Drive
WD 1TB
Hard Drive
WD 500GB
Hard Drive
WD 250GB
Power Supply
Corsair HX520
Cooling
Cooler Master Hyper TX3
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
Operating System
Windows 10 x64
Monitor
24" Asus
Monitor
24" Samsung
Keyboard
OCN/Ducky Mechanical
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in