Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - Smoke coming out! Help!

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 08:54 AM
Murlocke
Retired Staff

Rep: 912 (Unique: 541)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilJoe View Post
Rats... How does that RMA work- do I have to prove somehow that the PSU and/or video card was faulty or can I just claim that it was a bad component and get the refund?

I mean, for all I know maybe I did a bad job of putting on the thermal paste on the mobo which caused a short or some stupid thing like that.

Edit: I put the build in the original post now... basically a lot like the rig in my sig, except with 8800gts, quad core instead of dual core, and better powersupply. (in theory )
Since when do you put thermal paste on the motherboard? Do you mean processor? Even with no thermal paste it shouldn't fry instantly.. it'd just run hot.

RMA is not a refund (usually), they are just gonna replace it with a new part.. and no you don't really need to prove anything at all. I've RMAed parts that were working fine and still got a replacement. haha.

I just hope that your PSU didn't fry other parts in the computer.. but it really seems like the PSU overvolted the 12v rail and fried your video card. So I would RMA both those parts personally..