Team folding competition - how to count cores and use quad cores and GPUs - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Team folding competition - how to count cores and use quad cores and GPUs

post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 12:20 AM
I TeK things...

Updated with Replacement Temp Folder information.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 07:24 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 442 (Unique: 323)
lemans...

SmasherBasher did that for months...i see nothing wrong with it...ten cards or one, the cap is the cap and nobody can possibly get more PPD..

Take me down to the paradise city where the grass is green and the girls are pretty.

Quote:Originally Posted by BFRD in suggestions forum 
*poof*
Bravo One
(15 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700k
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X-UD3
GPU
EVGA GTX1070 SC ACX3.0
RAM
16GB EVGA DDR4-2400mhz (2x8GB)
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 120GB
Hard Drive
WD 1TB
Hard Drive
WD 500GB
Hard Drive
WD 250GB
Power Supply
Corsair HX520
Cooling
Cooler Master Hyper TX3
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
Operating System
Windows 10 x64
Monitor
24" Asus
Monitor
24" Samsung
Keyboard
OCN/Ducky Mechanical
▲ hide details ▲

post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 02:43 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 21)
Some things are un-noted.

Is there a way I can still fold with my i7 24/7 and fold for a team? Can I just have a capped PPD with my i7? That way I can still use all my resources. Also, i7 has 4 cores but 8 threads. Can I use 2 cores (that'd be using 4 threads)? Or do I also have a maximum of 1 core if I have HT turned on?

Please clarify this for me.
-Porky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploppytheman go_quote.gif

I play SC2 cuz its hard. If I wanted to play something easy I'd play soccer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 03:11 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 738 (Unique: 540)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious Porkchop View Post
Some things are un-noted.

Is there a way I can still fold with my i7 24/7 and fold for a team? Can I just have a capped PPD with my i7? That way I can still use all my resources. Also, i7 has 4 cores but 8 threads. Can I use 2 cores (that'd be using 4 threads)? Or do I also have a maximum of 1 core if I have HT turned on?

Please clarify this for me.
-Porky
You can fold all out on your i7 and you will be capped at 3k per day. If you are doing -bigadv, it will not benifit you to join the competition, because you will only get 3k every 2-3days when you complete a wu.

In order to be uncapped, you can only run 2 threads or 2cores, not 4 threads or 2+2, under a name that will solely use the client that is running those 2 threads/cores.

post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 03:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecdm View Post
You can fold all out on your i7 and you will be capped at 3k per day. If you are doing -bigadv, it will not benifit you to join the competition, because you will only get 3k every 2-3days when you complete a wu.

In order to be uncapped, you can only run 2 threads or 2cores, not 4 threads or 2+2, under a name that will solely use the client that is running those 2 threads/cores.
I'm not sure about that.
They say that the max for GPU is 3k.
I don't see where they say a cap for CPU. But, I'm hoping that they'd allow me just to hit the everyday caps, because I'm folding way over that once you figure out the PPD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploppytheman go_quote.gif

I play SC2 cuz its hard. If I wanted to play something easy I'd play soccer.
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 04:30 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 738 (Unique: 540)
You can take my word for it if you want, i've been in the competition for a year now and have had people on my team fold with quads, capped and uncapped. I also have had people with dual cores and gpu's fold on the team.

I honestly don't know how 4cores/8threads works, since the cap is supposed to be for a quad. I assume the same cap would apply if you want to use all 8 threads, but not completely sure. When a member has used an i7, he either devoted 4threads to the team and was capped, or just devoted 2 threads and was uncapped. Never have they used all 8.

One thing to mention, you are only allowed to have 1 client folding under the name that you use for the competition. So if you fold on your i7 and your gpu's under the same name; that would not be allowed even though you are being capped. Some people still get away with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in