Team folding competition - how to count cores and use quad cores and GPUs - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Team folding competition - how to count cores and use quad cores and GPUs

post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 531 (Unique: 316)
Core counts

For the sake of the team competition, the following will be used for determining how many cores each member and team has:

Console client = 1 per console
Graphical client = 1 per client
GPU2 client = 2 per GPU with a 3,000 ppd cap Updated 5/1/09
PS3 client = 1 per PS3
SMP client = 1 per CPU core utilized

Quad cores

With the limit of 3 cores per member (8 per team), folding on all four cores of a quad directly for a folding team is not permitted. The idea behind the competition is to give members who are not able to compete for the top folding prizes a way to be competitive. SMP folding on a highly overclocked quad would rank a member among the top folders on the site, and that would be unbalancing to the team competition.

Restrictions and the cap
  • Quads can only fold with 2 cores; you may fold with 3 cores if you are covering for a team member who is down temporarily (this would be for a short period of time only).
  • GPU's are subject to a 3,000 PPD cap (this may change over time).
Ways to fold on quads within the framework of the team competition -
  • Windows consoles. Run as many Windows clients as you have core available for your team. This is quick and easy to set up, but is the slowest in terms of production.
  • Linux SMP through VMWare. VMware can only recognize two cores at a time, so it's possible to run two instances of VMWare, one under your personal folding name for the team competition and one under Team_<your team name> for "extra" points.
  • Native Linux SMP. You can assign cores to Linux programs through the taskset command. With that, you can accomplish the same as in the VMWare item, above, while reaping the benefits of the fastest folding client currently available.
  • Windows SMP. It is possible to change the CPU affinity for the Windows SMP client through the Task Manager to fold on fewer than four cores. I have not tested this, but if anyone has or is willing to try it, I will update this.
  • Windows or Linux SMP on all four cores. Team folders who desire to fold on all four cores under their primary folding name may fold on all four cores provided that 1) they declare this both in a PM to me and in the first post of their team's thread and 2) they fold on that quad core system and no other computers under their primary folding name, which will show as 1 CPU on Stanford's folding stats page. Members who choose this option will be capped at 2,750 points per day on their quad. This number was determined by studying six months of folding results and is on par with some of the very best dual core performances on record based on full month results. This option will count 2 cores against the team's core count. New 6/6/08.
A reminder

By no means should anyone stop folding on a computer or on cores just to be a member of the team folding competition. Simply change the folding name for "extra" cores to match your team's generic folding team, which is most often Team_<your team name>.

Replacement Team Temp folders (update 9/15/09)

When a team goes without a person for a period of time, a replacement temp folder is needed. So in lieu of this, a team may fill the empty slot with available cores. But there is a stipulation on this, a 2K cap is present if a replacement team temp folder is used.

Help us help you! Read and understand the Terms of Service, the For Sale / Wanted Section Rules, the Online Deals Guidelines, and the Appraisal Forum Rules. Also, list your system specs in your User CP.
If you PM me - Please use a descriptive subject and be patient. I get A LOT of PMs, and there's only so much time in the day to reply to them all.
Helpful tips - Be sure to visit the Site News forum frequently and read announcements and stickies. If you don't keep up with these, you WILL miss out on important info.
Useful links - Overclock.net Professionalism Initiative, Folding FAQ, and Downloads...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 11:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 59 (Unique: 49)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeric View Post
Core counts

With the limit of 3 cores per member (8 per team), folding on all four cores of a quad for a folding team is not permitted. The idea behind the competition is to give members who are not able to compete for the top folding prizes a way to be competitive. SMP folding on a highly overclocked quad would rank a member among the top folders on the site, and that would be unbalancing to the team competition.
That is a relief. I was just wondering this morning how I was gonna keep from being blown out of the water by them quads.

[Official] Foxconn A79A-S Owners Club Member
Aumotocnic "An unfortunate member of the overclock.net insomnia club"
Kentucky Overclockers list
king.gifSeaSonic X Series Owners Clubking.gif
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 11:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 196 (Unique: 152)
lol yeah, quads are number crunching machines. The real secret to folding though, is to do native linux SMP. my [email protected] went from 16-18mins in Windows SMP to 7-9mins in Ubuntu 64bit SMP.

skull.gifTHE CHEVY Owners CLUB!!! skull.gif
skull.gifWashington State Overclockers skull.gif

ø¨°º¤ø„¸Fold For¸„ø¤º°¨ø
ø 37726 ø
ø¸„ø¤º°¨°º¤øø¤º°`°º¤ø„¸ø

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 05:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 365 (Unique: 282)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeric View Post
  • Windows SMP. It may be possible to change the CPU affinity for the Windows SMP client through the Task Manager to fold on fewer than four cores. I have not tested this, but if anyone has or is willing to try it, I will update this.
that is how i run it, i go in the core affinity and set all fah to cores 3&4, under task manager 1&2 are 0-1% used, 3&4 are 100%
it works but is a pain as you have to do it each time you restart the application. i will eventually find a way where it automatically starts under only 3&4

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 07:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 162 (Unique: 125)
I don't see how putting your extra cores under the team name instead of your own name makes a difference? The team still gets the same amount of points. All it does is make that person lose points from their personal score.

Smart Phone: Motorola Droid @ 1.2GHz
Current ROM: SholesMod 2.0.6 RC

poke.gifdevil.gifeek.gifdoh.gif
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Team scores are computed from personal scores. The "team" name is just a place to stash extra cores. If a folder decides they want to use all the cores they have under they're own name, that's perfectly fine. They just can't participate in our internal team competition.

Help us help you! Read and understand the Terms of Service, the For Sale / Wanted Section Rules, the Online Deals Guidelines, and the Appraisal Forum Rules. Also, list your system specs in your User CP.
If you PM me - Please use a descriptive subject and be patient. I get A LOT of PMs, and there's only so much time in the day to reply to them all.
Helpful tips - Be sure to visit the Site News forum frequently and read announcements and stickies. If you don't keep up with these, you WILL miss out on important info.
Useful links - Overclock.net Professionalism Initiative, Folding FAQ, and Downloads...

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 02:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 162 (Unique: 125)
Ok, I see how it works. Thanks.

Smart Phone: Motorola Droid @ 1.2GHz
Current ROM: SholesMod 2.0.6 RC

poke.gifdevil.gifeek.gifdoh.gif
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Note that due to the insane scores being produced by the GPU2 client, that client will count as 2 cores towards the core limits and be capped at 2k ppd. Anyone who wishes to use that client in the team competition needs to PM me.

If the scores get reined back in by Stanford, we will revisit this issue and adjust it as necessary.

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 08:16 AM
Senior Moderators

Bump

Quote:
The man never feels the want of what it never occurs to him to ask for. - Arthur Schopenhauer

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 08:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 191 (Unique: 142)
i know its now very late in the game but wouldn't it make more sense to have the 4 people setting their 8 cores to fold for the "team name" so they could then keep their other points in their own name?

just a thought.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in