So you want to make your team the best, OR just want help making a team - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

So you want to make your team the best, OR just want help making a team

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Ok I have talked with a few people and I have some tips here to help folding teams, there not really secrets but they are part of why we lead.

-CPU folding, if you have above a E6420 or above, running at 3.3ghz or above you should be doing this. If you have an AMD 5000x2 @ 3.2ghz or above you should be testing this. I ran two cores of a Q6600 @ 3.4ghz and was averaging around 2600ppd.

-Linux the way to go, for those of us who don't get linux....EDIT: I have used linux and it is not nearly as hard as I had thought, but it was a little rough to get used to, but with the help of Roke and Error10 its all rolling now.
-VMware+ubuntu, there are two versions out there if your not using it your losing 300ppd-600ppd.

So in case I didn't say it clearly, you should be cpu folding, and using vmware ubuntu. Even on chips below E6420's and 5000x2's I would experiment on, remember you only have to beat the 2k cap. My q66 @ 3.4, folding its days would look like this 1920/1920/3840/1920/1920/1920/3840/1920/1920/3840 - Thats 24,960 points or 2496ppd, if you had gpu folded you would have 20,000 points or 2k ppd. So numbers don't lie, cpu fold.

If your running at 3.6ghz or above you can play with the big kids, and if you can go over 3.95ghz your in the land of monsters.

EDIT: One more thing I wanted to add, GPU folding has become more balanced with the cap raised from 2000 points to 2500 points per day. If you have a low card overclock it, core and shaders matter most.

Any questions please post, or pm me if you think I need to update something.

Here is VMware+ubuntu I have used this and know it to rock.
Error10's linux in windows version Haven't used it but can't see anything wrong with it from here.
Not Freds/Jademiners Guide to folding in vmware on a usb stick Heard good things here as well, very compact, doesn't need a gpu/hdd at all.

I want to give a hand and credit to everyone who wrote the above guides as I have no real knowledge of how these things actually work. Also to Rx7racer who originally suggested vmware to me. Onlycodered who showed me how to actually make it all work. To Ranger98 who suggested this guide me made. And Jademiner for making me continue to find the best and fastest way to fold.

EDIT: Hey guys if you have any question on the team comp I would be happy to answer them here. There are no dumb questions, I would love to see more teams, there seems to be quite a few people wanting to fold and not enough wanting to start a team. Or feel free to pm me any questions.

I know this guide is getting a bit cluttered and disorganized, I am working on a major overhual there have been quite a few changes in the last 30 days.

If you can judge a wise man
By the color of his skin
Then mister you're a better man than I
-Aerosmith Livin' on the Edge

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 05:23 AM
I TeK things...

Woot!

Yeah I have to agree. I have not been folding on my CPU either, which I should have been. I will start that up today.......I just put the 6.23 client on my lappy.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well remember if you run regular smp you will give up 300ppd minimum vs vmware+ubuntu. The biggest gain I saw was on my old AMD 6000x2(windsor) I was folding smp at like 1500ppd or so at 3.3ghz. When I switched over my ppd was like 2250ppd, that was way back when I first started though.

By the color of his skin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 06:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 115 (Unique: 106)
I'm folding on a e7200. Because it doesn't support virtualization, I've been folding under windows. Am I correct in my thinking that for hyperthreaded CPU's, folding in windows is faster than folding in a virtual Linux environment?

Otherwise, I'll run few more days to get a completed week and then swap over and compare.

Thanks.

I got all my rep the old fashioned way. If you rep'd me and haven't received payment, rest assured, "the check is in the mail".whistle.gif

q9550 @ 4.0 e7200 @ 4.0 1 m3/h = 0.589 cfm

"What are the facts? Again and again and again - what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what 'the stars foretell,' avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable 'verdict of history' - what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue. Get the facts!"
- Lazarus Long

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardobard View Post
I'm folding on a e7200. Because it doesn't support virtualization, I've been folding under windows. Am I correct in my thinking that for hyperthreaded CPU's, folding in windows is faster than folding in a virtual Linux environment?

Otherwise, I'll run few more days to get a completed week and then swap over and compare.

Thanks.
Ok wow, I actually didn't know the E5200-E7400 series do not support virtualization and thus can't use VMWare. And to answer your question no you would get the same gain from running linux(if not a tiny bit more) as you would vmware.

Basically Linux>VMware/linux>windows smp. These only apply to cpu folding though, and more specifically the team folding competition. If your gpu folding for the singles you should keep doing that.

By the color of his skin

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 09:29 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 257 (Unique: 180)
When I was on the hunt for the fastest most productive way to fold in windows, I ran across VMware. At the time I was running Win SMP. My CPU was running at 3.2Ghz I believe, and was getting 12 minutes per %. When I ran VMware + Ubuntu, I couldn't believe my eyes, my times were now 9 minutes per %. VMware had shaved 3 minutes per % off my times.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 03:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 154 (Unique: 109)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardobard View Post

Thanks.
If you CPU doesn't support virtualization then your best point production would be to run the Linux SMP client inside of a Linux OS. If you can't run Linux then your only next option is WinSMP which is much slower like Gibson said.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 04:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 329 (Unique: 232)
This should be stickied.

|Marketplace FAQ|
MBP (Late 2008) C2D 2.4 GHz | 4 GB DDR3 | 9600M
Steam ID: [OCN] ProjecT TimeZ
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I want to keep this bumped.

By the color of his skin

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

bump

By the color of his skin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in