Lets discuss the gpu cap. - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Lets discuss the gpu cap.

Closed Thread

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yeah well competition is what drives us, so we don't want to be handed the first place just because were here. But you have to be careful, because several in the team comp can't fold full time and are here because they can hit the cap. But you do have a good idea to consider. I looked and it would make anything under an 8800Gt worthless though. I know several run 8800GS's that can only do under your rules 2k ppd...sometimes as low as 1600ppd. So it make's them and ati clients out.

I will think on it, because its definately not something I have even considered.

If you can judge a wise man
By the color of his skin
Then mister you're a better man than I
-Aerosmith Livin' on the Edge

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 05:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 139 (Unique: 123)
Just a thought maybe handicap the the rigs.Quads should make x ppd and duals make y ppd.Then when a folder running a quad get x ppd he gets only a said amout of points.The said amount should be a precentage.That way the quads and duals can play on the same level.This can also be used for the gpu's.Biggest problem would be making the handicaps so that they are fair.With a handicap system in place folders wont shut down their rigs when they get to the cap.Its just an idea from a new folder.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 05:49 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 740 (Unique: 540)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducrider View Post
Just a thought maybe handicap the the rigs.Quads should make x ppd and duals make y ppd.Then when a folder running a quad get x ppd he gets only a said amout of points.The said amount should be a precentage.That way the quads and duals can play on the same level.This can also be used for the gpu's.Biggest problem would be making the handicaps so that they are fair.With a handicap system in place folders wont shut down their rigs when they get to the cap.Its just an idea from a new folder.
Smp only runs on two cores, unless it's native linux. So basically, quads and dual cores have the same chance. Dual cores are actually better in this competition since they can generally clock higher than quads. The competition also allows only two cores of the quad to be used.

The idea of cutting gpu points in half is interesting, but I feel that it could potentially turn it into another gpu competion, of which we already have one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

You have to remember that I do the scores manually, so we have to keep the scores at least somewhat simple as well. Capping isn't hard nor would halving the scores, but doing a random percentage for each person would be too much, unless I am misunderstanding you.

By the color of his skin

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemans81 View Post
You have to remember that I do the scores manually, so we have to keep the scores at least somewhat simple as well. Capping isn't hard nor would halving the scores, but doing a random percentage for each person would be too much, unless I am misunderstanding you.
Which is why I run both my GPUs under my normal folding name so that 2500 points per day is easy enough for you to pull from my overall score
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 11:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 21)
i dont think smp only uses 2 cores, not if you enable the -smp client, without -smp it only maxes 2 cores out, but with -smp it maxes out all 4 cores, atleast it does on my q6600, but on my i7 i have to run 2 smp clients both with -smp flags to fully load it to 100%

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 11:43 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 21)
and thanks for clarifying the competetion, i see its basically to see who can fold the most in one day because your trying to even out the playing fields but i still dont see it doing that very efficiently because a 295 or 9800gx2 will blow my 8800gtx out of the water if they were both folding the same amount of time in 24 hours.

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 11:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 264 (Unique: 221)
ya increasing it will probably make no sends. anymore and smp clients are useless. i mean at4 Ghz dual is only at what 3500 ppd? so increase the GPU and its just gonna be a solid GPU comp.

On another note i was thinking of maybe allowing a GPU and smp per user? or allow a team to have 5 or 6 total clients? still 4 users tho.

Early 2012 Upgrade- 6 Cores/6 TB/16 GB/3xIPS/Corsair Case
Working 2 Jobs Till Then FTW

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 01:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 135 (Unique: 100)
I really doubt we are going to come to a conclusion about this cap any time soon, if at all.

Aumotocnic "An unfortunate member of the overclock.net insomnia club"

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOCAMBO View Post
I really doubt we are going to come to a conclusion about this cap any time soon, if at all.
Maybe, maybe not, but we first raised it back in Jan to 2350...then we pushed it up to 2500 for Feb and when we did that we agreed that we would readdress this in April and so I wanted to see if people still felt the gpu cap was unfair.

By the color of his skin

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in