Lets discuss the gpu cap. - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Lets discuss the gpu cap.

Closed Thread

post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 05:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 349 (Unique: 308)
I say raise the cap to 3000 PPD.

CPUs will still have the upper hand. The argument at hand is this; Keep the competition as traditional as possible or get the most projects done, thus finding cures faster.

It's quite the debate.

~B~

Rest in peace Syr, you won't be forgotten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFB go_quote.gif
I'm a nerd, not a miracle worker.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 738 (Unique: 540)
Well the 2500pt cap obviously handicaps the gpu folders and gives the edge to the smp folders. I think that people fail to see that it involves a lot more work to rack up the points with smp. VMware, which many people run, is more susceptible to errors and problems. SMP projects take a lot longer than gpu projects and if one of them were to fail, half the day would be lost.

I'm basically saying that there is more work and more risks involved with SMP, thus the rewards are higher.

Most gpu's in the competition can reach 3k on a daily basis, specially those who use multiple cards under their competition name.

I think that 3k would make it more interesting and in order for the CPU folders to dominate, they would have to run flawlessly for the entire month. One little mistake or a couple of bad days has the potential to drop them out of the lead. The downside is, that it would take anyone out of the competition that doesn't fold on a high clocked dual core.

If there is a cpu folder who completes 2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1 ... in 30 days they would max out at 86,400 give or take a wu or 2 depending on what they start off with. A gpu folder would hit 90k if they had a 3k cap. This is assuming that the cpu folder would only get the 1920pt wu's. If there are some 1760's thrown in, it could easily drop output by a huge amount.

I don't know where I'm going with this, I just started typing stuff.

post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlankThis View Post
I say raise the cap to 3000 PPD.

CPUs will still have the upper hand. The argument at hand is this; Keep the competition as traditional as possible or get the most projects done, thus finding cures faster.

It's quite the debate.

~B~
I understand where your coming from but there are several things to consider. Like ati folders, 3k ppd is the outer limits of anything an ati folder can do and I want gpu to be as competitive as possible this comps goals were/are to keep the little guys fighting. I knew we used to have 4870 that could do between 3100-3500ppd depending on the day if they folded full time. Also the points are still the same for stanford, they don't get shorted my cap is artificially imposed just on the scores I do.

Mike - Your right anyone who hasn't spend all the time cpu folding doesn't understand. I mean if you looked back at my 24 hour average 10 months ago it would have been 2600ppd. Now its almost 3400ppd(last I checked).

I like to move things in small movements, mainly because if something goes wrong people tend to be more upset about going backward. I am going to open a poll and let everyone vote for whether or not they want a new cap of 2750. If that goes and the staff agrees then we will rediscuss this in about 45 days and see if that was enough of a move.

If you can judge a wise man
By the color of his skin
Then mister you're a better man than I
-Aerosmith Livin' on the Edge

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in