Lets discuss the gpu cap. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Lets discuss the gpu cap.

Closed Thread

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I want to have a civil converation about the gpu cap. Then if we find some new info that maybe it needs to be moved then I will take that info to Gibsonnova74 and Markt who actually run the comps and see what they say. The goals of this thread are the following:

1. To find out if the cap needs to be changed.
2. What the cap should be changed to.
3. To make sure we keep the gpu folders in the team comp competitive.

Lets keep in mind there will be a cap, if you don't want a cap then the gpu comp is the right place for you. Remember this comp was originally for cpu's and its very hard to level the playing field with Nvidia gpu's, but we want to keep it close. If you have an opinion state it. If you have a better idea great, please try to back it up with numbers if possible.

So?

If you can judge a wise man
By the color of his skin
Then mister you're a better man than I
-Aerosmith Livin' on the Edge

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 07:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 349 (Unique: 308)
I think it's a good thing. I go way over the cap but I don't mind because people with much better GPUs would wreck if there wasn't a cap and there would be no one folding on their CPUs. This way it keeps it fair and more fun for everyone.
I could care less about the points my card gets or what place my team is in, it's all about finding the cures

~B~

Rest in peace Syr, you won't be forgotten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFB go_quote.gif
I'm a nerd, not a miracle worker.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yeah and as I cpu folder myself thats what I feel to. But we want this to be competitive as well, for a long time the cap was 2k, then 2250 then 2500 as of march. I am not sure what to do.

By the color of his skin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 07:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 349 (Unique: 308)
Perhaps the PPD cap should be determined by the PPD of the rest of the folders on the team?

That way weaker teams could have a but more power and keep up with some of the stronger teams...

I think right now it's pretty fair, personally I see nothing wrong with the way it is right now.

~B~

Rest in peace Syr, you won't be forgotten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFB go_quote.gif
I'm a nerd, not a miracle worker.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 07:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 21)
what is this, some kind of competetion to see who can get the most points? i dont understand, why have a cap, what is the purpose of all this, and how does it relate to folding for a cause in general? is this only about numbers?

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 07:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 85 (Unique: 65)
OT: i think its good the way it is, seems competitive enough and still gives a good reason to cpu fold.

Gr33nMachine
-=I Fold for 37726=-

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 08:35 AM

IMO the competition is designed to keep you folding all the time and do the absolute best you can with the equipment you have.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrunt42 View Post
what is this, some kind of competetion to see who can get the most points? i dont understand, why have a cap, what is the purpose of all this, and how does it relate to folding for a cause in general? is this only about numbers?
I cleaned the thread, but to answer why you got some hostility is due to what seemed like you were putting this competition down. I mean we are all very passionate about the original comp and have devoted a ton to it. So when someone who is trying to join comes in and at least looks like they are putting it down it upsets people.

Basically this is a sub competition, where 4 people get together and put all their points together and see who can do the best. It was designed for people who can't afford to run farms. Its for the guy who runs just one gpu or cpu. But due to quads and gpu's abilities to smash a dual core we have imposed an artificial cap for them.

If you want to run uncapped and unleashed on a gpu then we have a Gpu comp as well, where there is no cap, and two man teams. Hopefully I have answered your questions, if not please tell me and I will try to further clarify.

By the color of his skin

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 442 (Unique: 323)
What about if we just let people run unleashed, and cut their points in half. Say i had a GTX280 and did 9k ppd. Then i would get 4500 points a day. That would keep it about even with a high end CPU like an E8600 or so. But an 8800GT would just get around 2000-2500. To me that makes more sense, because your team would get mroe help from higher end GPUs. Just don't allow more than one GPU core. I think this is a good idea because some people i think hit the 2500ppd cap and then shut the client down, because they met the cap already. This would give them incentive to keep going and run the client more.

Anyone with me?

Take me down to the paradise city where the grass is green and the girls are pretty.

Quote:Originally Posted by BFRD in suggestions forum 
*poof*
Bravo One
(15 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700k
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X-UD3
GPU
EVGA GTX1070 SC ACX3.0
RAM
16GB EVGA DDR4-2400mhz (2x8GB)
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 120GB
Hard Drive
WD 1TB
Hard Drive
WD 500GB
Hard Drive
WD 250GB
Power Supply
Corsair HX520
Cooling
Cooler Master Hyper TX3
Case
Fractal Design Define R5
Operating System
Windows 10 x64
Monitor
24" Asus
Monitor
24" Samsung
Keyboard
OCN/Ducky Mechanical
▲ hide details ▲

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 04:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 135 (Unique: 100)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdo124 View Post
What about if we just let people run unleashed, and cut their points in half. Say i had a GTX280 and did 9k ppd. Then i would get 4500 points a day. That would keep it about even with a high end CPU like an E8600 or so. But an 8800GT would just get around 2000-2500. To me that makes more sense, because your team would get mroe help from higher end GPUs. Just don't allow more than one GPU core. I think this is a good idea because some people i think hit the 2500ppd cap and then shut the client down, because they met the cap already. This would give them incentive to keep going and run the client more.

Anyone with me?
I'm with you. This would totally turn the tables in the gpu comp I myself find it the comp boring (no offense) since i juss hit the cap and thats all . I feel really handi-capped thats all.

But at the same time i dont think the Replcaments want their streak of 1st place finishes to die heheheh

Aumotocnic "An unfortunate member of the overclock.net insomnia club"

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in