Poll: Should the cap be raised to 2750ppd - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

View Poll Results: Should the gpu/quad cap be raised to 2750 ppd?
Yes raise it to 2750 19 57.58%
No leave it at 2500 6 18.18%
I don't have an opinion, as I am not in the comp. 8 24.24%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Poll: Should the cap be raised to 2750ppd

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 06:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 85 (Unique: 65)
Edited for not reading

Gr33nMachine
-=I Fold for 37726=-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 06:16 AM
I TeK things...

I say leave it as it is. I think having a cap encorages alot of people to run the SMP client on their quad on only two cores. Come to think of it.....I gotta change my 8600GTS over to SMP today. Thanks for the reminder!

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Current count 9 for it, 3 against it(that are all folders. This won't go into effect until next month anyways, I want to hear from more.

If you can judge a wise man
By the color of his skin
Then mister you're a better man than I
-Aerosmith Livin' on the Edge

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 07:04 AM
Senior Moderators

Something that I have always fought for all the way back when GPU folders started making their appearance in the team competition

Quote:
The man never feels the want of what it never occurs to him to ask for. - Arthur Schopenhauer

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega_option101 View Post
Something that I have always fought for all the way back when GPU folders started making their appearance in the team competition
If this raise goes, it will be the third increase in 4 months..so we are trying hard to keep everything level.

If you can judge a wise man
By the color of his skin
Then mister you're a better man than I
-Aerosmith Livin' on the Edge

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 10:26 PM

Would I be better suited to run my quad for the original team and dedicate my GPU to flat out no holds barred GPU team folding? Can I even do it at all? I have tried several times to go with SMP folding (vmware) on this rig but it always either hardlocks the system or BSOD - and thats with all stock settings.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 10:34 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 740 (Unique: 540)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmasherBasher View Post
Would I be better suited to run my quad for the original team and dedicate my GPU to flat out no holds barred GPU team folding? Can I even do it at all? I have tried several times to go with SMP folding (vmware) on this rig but it always either hardlocks the system or BSOD - and thats with all stock settings.
If you use the quad and leave it a 3.0ghz you probably wouldn't get much ppd. You'd probably complete one wu per day and on some days 2. Just to get some numbers, if you completed 2 wu's every other day, you would average 5760pts every two days. With the increased cap you'd get 5550 in two days using your gpu. This is just an example, in a perfect world where no problems occur, and only considering 1920pt wu's.

But if it takes an extra day for the quad to complete two wu's, it wouldn't be worth it at all.

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 10:40 PM

My mindset is this:

Some folding is better than no folding. Why not put it to work? Its just sitting there and I sure as hell don't need a QX6850 to run GPU clients with.

Ive even got a P4 rig somewhere in my pile of crap just begging to be rebuilt
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 02:23 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 321 (Unique: 272)
I voted yes just because I have a gpu folding on my team and it would help out greatly..But raising the cap to 2750 ppd would give a gpu the upper hand. We cpu folder know that to have a good ppd, you have to have a e8400 and up,and oc'ed around 4.1 to 4.3+ to be able to get two units done in one day to give you an average of 3840ppd per day.
And I know that if things go bad it's hard to make up the points and lost time. An overclocked cpu can corrupt files if it come unstabled causing me to have to format and reinstall everything again. With that losing a lot of time to get it up and running. While a gpu folder might just have to reinstall the drivers..(seen I don't gpu I can't say to much about it)

So it be more like give or take.. But it will help in team comp.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in