(Build log) Bottlehead Crack second build (gonna be way better than my last one) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

(Build log) Bottlehead Crack second build (gonna be way better than my last one)

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 35)
I am starting to build another amp. I've had a brand new PT-7 transformer from Bottlehead sitting in a box going on 4 years now, along with a powder coated end bell cover. In the meantime I also have had the on/off circuit, and top plate stuff sitting around. The top plate and one tube socket bracket I had powder coated, and I didn't like how it turned out. On Friday I sent off some DXF files to a laser cutter for a new top plate and transformer bracket. I enlarged the top plate a bit. I'm getting the parts cut from stainless steel. I am planning on getting new tube socket brackets CNC cut from stainless, also. I designed new capacitor brackets to be 3D printed. I will be ordering 4 of those today. I ordered some components from Mouser, and I realized I forgot a few things. I am going to replace the resistors in the power supply with chokes this time around, so I am going to put in another Mouser order today with those parts and other components I forgot.

Here are some links. You will find Eagle .brd files in the subdirectories, and applicable parts lists. The boards are also for sale on OSH Park. I lost my Speedball .brd files, but they are still for sale on OSH Park.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 335 (Unique: 245)
Sounds awesome. I am about to start doing a massive rebuild and mod to my Crack amp.

If you are looking for other transformer options, I am using this one:
http://www.antekinc.com/as-1t150-100va-150v-transformer/

It has the same dual 150v windings but with way more currant capacity (not that it is needed on those windings for the Crack) and with dual 6.3v 3A windings it can handle more tube stuff too. From what I remember, the PT-7 has something like 5A on the 6.3v?
I am also debating whether I want to add a second transformer just for 6v power to tubes with its own capacitor setup to run 4 power tubes in my build. Probably not though as I already have 2 transformers in there and a third will take up a lot of space, not to mention the extra space needed for using 4 power tubes.
http://www.antekinc.com/as-1206-100va-6v-transformer/

I wish I had seen this before today, I already ordered a second Speedball kit for my project and could have saved a lot just getting those PCBs and the right parts, maybe even some higher quality parts.

What did you use to make the files for the new plate? I am just talking to a guy to have the plate I want built but maybe if I could just design it and export to the right files it would be a lot easier.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

My PT-7 says the 6.3 V winding is rated 3.5 A. It has a single 150 V winding. I'm not into toroidal transformers.

I used AutoCAD to design the plate. I have no idea what is out there in terms of freeware to get such a thing done.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 08:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Bravo, Ramico! I've being following your posts for a while.

out of curiosity, I remember somewhere you mentioned bootlehead kit has a fat profit margin. for an original crack kit, how much do you think the material is?

I am thinking of hiring someone to build a crack or s.e.x for me. my wallet is not fat though. how much would be reasonable?

have a great weekend!

-Richard from Minneapolis
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

As I go along I will price out the cost for me to build this. Obviously my cost will be higher, because I am making it better, and not in volume, but it should still fall under the price of a Crack + Speedball. I know I am going to end up spending more money, but things like hardware only come in bulk packs. I also have to pay someone to build me the bottom wood frame. Even the PCBs I am having made only come in a minimum of 3. I only have the information to build a Crack kit, because I actually bought it years ago, and kept the manual. I was only able to copy the PCBs for the Speedball because I bought those. I would just rather give my money to parts companies than a company to slap things together. IMO, most of the audiophool companies are based up in the Pacific Northwest. They didn't like my objective attitude on their forums (people swearing a WAV or AIFF will sound different than a FLAC), so they won't ever get a penny from me again. The way he uses his wife half-nude in product pictures doesn't rub me right, either. Neither do the euphemistic names of the products.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I guess I missed the shipment notification from Shapeways in my inbox. I found these today in my mailbox.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-19_14-13.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	893.7 KB
ID:	275162  

Last edited by ramicio; 06-19-2019 at 02:06 PM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 04:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 335 (Unique: 245)
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardumn View Post

Bravo, Ramico! I've being following your posts for a while.

out of curiosity, I remember somewhere you mentioned bootlehead kit has a fat profit margin. for an original crack kit, how much do you think the material is?

I am thinking of hiring someone to build a crack or s.e.x for me. my wallet is not fat though. how much would be reasonable?

have a great weekend!

-Richard from Minneapolis

I dont know exactly how much a regular crack costs in parts if you just buy them, I will be pricing it out "soon". But I wanted to post that the Speedball kit costs only $21 for parts, plus the cost of the speelball PCBs ramicio posted. They sell it for over $100 on their website. As the profit margin is 4-5x parts cost for the speedball kit, Id imagine the crack kit also has around the same profit margin. That is priced off of Mouser.com BTW

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

The Crack costs $300. Those years ago you had a wait of a few months, because they didn't stock the parts. I don't know how it is now. It was $280 back then. There is some stuff I'm simply not going to be able to price, because I have no idea how to get them in a manner like ordering from Mouser or Digikey. The tubes, tube sockets, and the transformer are those such items. They have their transformers custom-made. I'd imagine with their large runs that they don't cost that much more than buying a similar, but still not equal, transformer from Mouser or Digikey. The rest of their kits is just wholesale stuff.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I went and pickup up my top plate and bracket today. 12 gauge stainless is heavy. I didn't have a step between 320 grit and 600 grit, and I can't get rid of the scratches. I guess I have to go get some 400 grit. I hope I can find a polishing wheel for my angle grinder.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2017-02-20_20-49_2.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	472.2 KB
ID:	275158  

Name:	2017-02-20_20-49_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	542.3 KB
ID:	275160  

Last edited by ramicio; 06-19-2019 at 02:06 PM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 06:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
bootlehead orders their transformer from magnequest? http://www.magnequest.com/bottlehead/magnequest_transformers.htm

magnequest also sell online

http://www.magnequest.com/products.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in