Time for a new PC, Help a brother out with some ideas! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Time for a new PC, Help a brother out with some ideas!

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 7)
Hello OCN!

I've been a fan of the site forever, but never really got involved on the forums. With my old rig finally reaching it's end of life, it's time for a rebuild on a new platform. I'm currently on an old C2D E6550 with an 8800gts (320). I play on a single monitor @ 1080, and the last few games I've attempted to put at higher settings forced my pc into taking a dump on itself and the frame rate took a nosedive. The last game I really played a lot of was WoW and that was back in LK xpac, which it did fine in. Just started up on SWTOR and this machine just can't keep up anymore. It has lasted me nearly 3 years now, but I think it's time to retire it to file server status and build a new one.

That being said, here is what I'm thinking -

i5/7 - k edition to support MILD overclock (keep in mind the last build I held onto forever)
6950/70 - If I get the 6950, I will more than likely find an unlocked one here and buy it.
SSD for system with spinners for storage
Matx form factor mobo that can keep consistent voltage for oc - been looking at the asus maxiumus as it seems to be the go-to for anything under standard atx boards

Portable case - doesn't have to be super small, but I currently have a ridiculous over-sized behemoth case and would love nothing less that to run it over with a truck when I take it to my buddies' for lan groups. I like the newer fractal define mini, but I can see issues with getting the bigger cards to fit without having to cut on the case. I'm open to suggestions for a case style that won't force me to spend 200+ on a case. I'd like cable management build in since I'm a nazi when it comes to cleanliness on a build.

As far as budget is concerned...I'm not a bleeding edge tech guy when it comes to playing games, but don't really have a budget. Think of it as...I have kids and a bleeding edge gaming pc is on the Non-practical side of the line for me biggrin.gif

What I'd like input on is -

Ivy Bridge just around the corner...any point in waiting? I know the efficiency difference, but I can live with a degree or two higher. I'm looking from a longevity standpoint.
Assuming SB...is the 2600k even necessary in moderate gaming? I edit photos now and again for the wife, but by no means professional requirements are needed here.
What cooling options are better in small cases - closed liquid loops like the h50/70 or should I just stick with a big noctua air cooler and push a ton of air through the case?
I REALLY need some help on finding a good case that has the airflow and room for a bigger card, but still small enough that it isn't a burden trying to go to a friends house to play in a group.

"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing? Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on." - Roy, The IT Crowd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 08:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 149 (Unique: 132)
- mobo is fine an perfect. Nolthing better for what you want

- Get an H80 if you want to cut down on bulk and noise

- 2600l will be more than OK and for what you are wanting a 2500k at $225 would more than do for you. You aren't doing heavy multitasking so no need for hyperthreading of an i7

- Even first gen i5 will be more than enough for today's standards. 2500k has a long life span IMO

Case wise is tough. It's all about preference. It says the fractal mini will support up to a 10.25 inch video card. Have you looked at the 400r case from Corsair. A bit larger but so easy to work in from all the build logs I've seen

Quote:
Vision is not what we see with out eyes but rather what we sense with our souls

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist....
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 08:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
It doesnt sound like your NOT going to be heavey gaming or OCing. Personnally I have the Noc D-14 it cools well when you seat it right and install your fans correctly. But its really huge. If your not going to OC heavy I wouidnt worry about water or the D-14. You can do moderate OCing with smaller coolers . I would imagine someone here is selling a good basic set up in for the for sale. If you wanted to buy used if not I will post you what I would like personnallyin a bit. The I 5 is a good choice , I would want to go with a GTX 570 or 580. I know AMDs are good but those 2 puppies are just beast and you can fold with them if you ever want.

I want a CPU from area 51 gunner.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 7)
That corsair case is bigger than I'm looking for (though a really cool design I must say). And isn't p67 an older format for boards compared to the z68 chipsets? The reason I am asking is that the Maxumus IV matx board is $30 cheaper and seems to pack more punch. Especially considering that I am going to stay with a matx case as well. I will most likely scoop up one of the OCN market sellers video cards since the 79xx series just launched and there are quite a few people dumping off perfectly good cards, which would save me a few bones and help out those guys in getting on the new platforms (team player here smile.gif ) so the question arises...nvidia or ati? I had read that ati was ahead of the game when it came to the 69xx series cards, but that before the 580 launched and I haven't really read up on nvidia since.

"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing? Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on." - Roy, The IT Crowd
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 08:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 698 (Unique: 562)
everything looks good :thumb.gif:
I'd get higher-bandwidth RAM..because SB runs it ..and lower is a botttleneck..
Make sure you get a 2GB vram card..whatever you get
Crucial m4 or Samsung 830 for ssd
RAM i have is currently @ 2133..with looser timings
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 11:29 PM

I'm not a bleeding edge tech guy when it comes to playing games, but don't really have a budget. Think of it as...I have kids and a bleeding edge gaming pc is on the Non-practical side of the line for me biggrin.gif

g.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in