Weird problem - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Weird problem

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
I usually keep my computer on but i decided to shut it off and left it alone for about an hour. Came back and it wouldn't turn back on, it just sat there dark and dead. Turned off the switch on the back of the PSU and turned it back on again, nothing. Unplugged the psu power cable and plugged it back in nothing. Opened the case and checked to see if my case connections were lose and they weren't. So i started checking the power connections to the MB, pulled out the 24 pin pulled out the 8 pin, plugged them back in. Computer turns on!! ***?

Think nothing of it, turn it off again, put the panels back push it into it's normal place, push the power button....nothing! Pull the psu cord out, take out the 8 pin put it back in and computer doesn't turn on.
Did the same thing, pulled the 24 pin this time, plugged it back in and bam computer is on. Turned it off, left it for a minute and it won't turn on. Pulled the 24 pin again and it goes on.

Do I need a new MB?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 06:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 65 (Unique: 38)
Man, what a great challenge. I really can't think of what this could be. My only thought was a CMOS issue of some kind... have you tried clearing the CMOS completely? Crazy... will be really interested to hear what happens with this one.

Good luck!

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Looks like it's the PSU problem. Had a half tired old 750 corsair sitting under the bed. Plugged it in, comp turns right on. Did a bunch of on and off tests leaving the pc for a few minutes up to an hour and it turns on normally.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 12:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 18)
Wow that is a really weird issue, do you have another PSU that you can test the computer with?

Please do not bash the fact that I use a gaming laptop as my main system, or tell me to sell it and buy a real gaming computer my life does not permit this at the moment. smile.gif
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 12:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 65 (Unique: 38)
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Seb View Post

Looks like it's the PSU problem. Had a half tired old 750 corsair sitting under the bed. Plugged it in, comp turns right on. Did a bunch of on and off tests leaving the pc for a few minutes up to an hour and it turns on normally.

There ya go.

Newegg has the Corsair 750W PSU on sale right now for 104.99, through March 7 you can use the promo code EMCNGNJ22 to get another 15% off that, making it roughly 89, and there's a MIR available for ten bucks.

79 bucks isn't too shabby. smile.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in