Dead component search. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Dead component search.

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hello. My HTPC died yesterday, so I figured to look for help, since this is first time I faced something like that.

Basically while I was playing Blacklight Retribution, my PC suddenly turned off. I tried to turn it on/check connections, but I got nothing. When I turn it on the fans just turn on for a second, then the whole thing goes dead again. I figured that it might be a short circuit somewhere. I checked the whole thing, and found nothing. I isolated the motherboard with only CPU and 1 plank of RAM intact and got nothing again. I replaced my PSU with a 650W one just in case (had faulty PSU problem before). I cleaned my mobo from dust, and apparently it still doesnt work. I dont think its CPU because fans would still be running even without CPU.

The components are:

500W Kingwin Striker
Asus P5K-Deluxe
4 Gigs of RAM
BFG GeForce 8800 GTS OC
Intel Q6600 (overclocked to 3 GHz)

My questions are:

How can be 100% sure that its my mobo? I really wish it wasnt because there are no similar mobos on the market anymore.

What else I can do myself to avoid buying a new one?

Can I do the oven trick?

EDIT: I tried running the motherboard without CPU. The fans were working fine. Hope it means anything to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 04:39 PM
CYRUS + KEF + LG OLED....

Rep: 42 (Unique: 41)
Reset the BIOS, then disconnect the PSU and remove the battery... leave for 24 hours and replace the battery.

If that does nothing useful, then I guess it's dead... always power down fully when "messing" with a problematical system.

All IMHO.

dunx

Faster...sonic.gif

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 05:54 PM
You broke it!

Rep: 1091 (Unique: 561)
I was going to say power supply, until I kept reading.

Are you 100% certain the second power supply you used is working? If you are, then it sounds like the board is dead. Even with a failed CPU you should still see/hear a POST.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in