Recommend Christmas time upgrades... - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Recommend Christmas time upgrades...

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 73 (Unique: 52)
That time of year is rolling around again where I end up getting a handful of Fry's and Newegg gift cards, but I'm not sure what to pick up this year. All the Info in my Sig System below is up to date. Right now, I'm playing WoW, and that's about it. So, given the info above (and below), what would you recommend picking up this year?

aaskull.gif Check out the Adeptus Mechanicus MKIII build I'm working on aaskull.gif

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure. - Mark Twain

Those with common sense believe that common sense is common... IT'S NOT. - Philip Defranco

Reputation should be given to members who make posts that are beneficial to the forum and it’s membership.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 09:13 AM
Old dog, old tricks

Rep: 574 (Unique: 474)
Sell the 570 and get a 680, for example smile.gif
Also, investing in a second monitor has a great return value, if you have space on the desk smile.gif

And why do you have a GT210 in your sig? Is it one of those public shaming things?.. rolleyes.gif
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 09:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 176 (Unique: 159)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnin426850 View Post

Also, investing in a second monitor has a great return value, if you have space on the desk smile.gif
And why do you have a GT210 in your sig? Is it one of those public shaming things?.. rolleyes.gif

I'm pretty sure that if he is just playing WoW (and nothing else), going from a GTX 570 to a GTX 680 will bring no improvements. I have a GTX 570, and haven't found a game it couldn't handle on high settings. WoW just does not require a lot of GPU power last i checked. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Improvements that actually make a difference? Nothing to your tower. hmmm...

Replace your 19" secondary monitor with something bigger.

Get a nice high end set of speakers or headset.

Get a nicer keyboard or mouse.

A HD Webcam

A card reader for you tower.

That's all that comes to the top of my head....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnin426850 View Post

That's running my second 19" monitor, i find i get better performance form my 570 if it's not driving 2 monitors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsontears809739 View Post

I'm pretty sure that if he is just playing WoW (and nothing else), going from a GTX 570 to a GTX 680 will bring no improvements. I have a GTX 570, and haven't found a game it couldn't handle on high settings. WoW just does not require a lot of GPU power last i checked. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Improvements that actually make a difference? Nothing to your tower. hmmm...
Replace your 19" secondary monitor with something bigger.
Get a nice high end set of speakers or headset.
Get a nicer keyboard or mouse.
A HD Webcam
A card reader for you tower.
That's all that comes to the top of my head....

I was thinking about buying a 24" or bigger monitor, and making that my primary, swapping my 22" to my second, and giving the 19" to the kids. i've got my audio running through a pioneer shelf unit with floor speakers, and a nice )and recently purchaded) steel series neckband headset (great unit if anyone i looking). i've capped my wow at 60fps, and i'm there most of the time, so i don't think i'll see much difference swapping out a card, as you mentioned.

aaskull.gif Check out the Adeptus Mechanicus MKIII build I'm working on aaskull.gif

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure. - Mark Twain

Those with common sense believe that common sense is common... IT'S NOT. - Philip Defranco

Reputation should be given to members who make posts that are beneficial to the forum and it’s membership.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Going out this week to get a new monitor, looking to stay around $200, with a max of 5ms response time (what i have now, and it doesn't bother me). I found these two monitors at Fry's (local to me), but I'm not seeing a difference in them. Anyone recommend one or the other (or a third that fits this criteria)

Monitor 1

Monitor 2

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 06:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 232 (Unique: 176)
I generally recommend avoiding 1920x1080p 27" monitors. Larger pixels = blockier, lower quality-seeming image. If you want to go 27" I suggest saving up enough to get one of the Korean 2560x1440 monitors.

Here's a good 24" Monitor that is on sale (bonus: glossy):
BenQ GW2450 (24" 1080p AMVA with relatively fast response) - $160
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014299

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterFred View Post

I generally recommend avoiding 1920x1080p 27" monitors. Larger pixels = blockier, lower quality-seeming image. If you want to go 27" I suggest saving up enough to get one of the Korean 2560x1440 monitors.
Here's a good 24" Monitor that is on sale (bonus: glossy):
BenQ GW2450 (24" 1080p AMVA with relatively fast response) - $160
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014299

Never heard of BenQ, do they make decent stuff?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 08:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 232 (Unique: 176)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterFred View Post

Here's a good 24" Monitor

Like any monitor company, they have some bad offerings to go with the good. Brand isn't the best indicator of quality. You have to take each specific product by itself.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 09:29 PM
Old dog, old tricks

Rep: 574 (Unique: 474)
I've heard them, they are somewhat known in Europe, although not really famous for anything..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in