Intel vs amd gaming confusion? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Intel vs amd gaming confusion?

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
My current cpu is the amd fx 8150 oc to 4.7ghz and my GPU is the 780 overclocked to 1.3ghz. My question is why when I look at some gaming benchmarks between amd and Intel cpus are the fps so much different?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 10:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 50 (Unique: 39)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshontech View Post

My current cpu is the amd fx 8150 oc to 4.7ghz and my GPU is the 780 overclocked to 1.3ghz. My question is why when I look at some gaming benchmarks between amd and Intel cpus are the fps so much different?
When it comes to gaming performance on a cpu, the strength of the cpu cores(compute performance) is what contributes to higher performance over the weaker cores, Intel cpu cores are very strong and amd keep up with more cores, which isn't necessary worth it in-terms of pulling extra fps, your gpu strength plays a big role in performance, for more(fps).

devil.gif
["KlistWhiteSpirit" Rig]
I7 4790K MSI Z97S Krait Edition Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 Cooler 12GB Hyper X 5.25TB HDD-SSD
[GTX 780 JetStream X-Star 2560x1440 Korean Monitor]
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 10:44 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 453 (Unique: 358)
There are at least 9000 threads about this very topic tongue.gif
Quote:
Why?

The "Why" is a very complicated question. The answer involves physical architecture differences, the structure of rendering APIs, game programming trends/codebases, politics, economics, and a whole bunch of stuff that's impossible to sum up in a thread. Asking "why" tends to start flame wars without answering the question.

So don't worry about the "Why", just overclock your CPU as much as you can. If you aren't satisfied with your performance and want to buy a new CPU, look up benchmarks of specific games you play from multiple sources, and buy based on that.

If you REALLY want to know why, take some computer engineering and game programming courses. biggrin.gif

Sent from my Sig Rig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 10:55 AM
To The Game

Rep: 290 (Unique: 197)
Look into Skylake if you're thinking about making the move to intel. It comes out towards the end of next year.

Personally AMD makes a good entry CPU. They come cheap (both CPU and mobo), and have good enough performance for the price. They also overclock easier then intels current offerings, so if you're into overclocking for the joy of overclocking, they can be fun.

Once you have your system, and start thinking of upgrading your CPU, you should look into getting the best CPU you can afford. By that point that should be intel. You're no longer rushed to build your system and you aren't buying every single part needed. Well, from my view anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in