Core Parking in Windows (Disable for more performance) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Core Parking in Windows (Disable for more performance)

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Not sure where i should have posted this, but it does directly effect your CPU utilization. Just wanted everyone to know, as i purchased the CPU i have and do not like the fact that any software or hardware might be limiting what i can pull from it, im sure im not alone in this fact.

In efforts to make ARMA run faster (wicked bad engine, no optimization) I found a guide that enlightened me to windows' core parking, described below.

The effects of disabling it are immediate. all cores are active at all times, task splitting between cores is better. performance increase is noticeable. So, now if windows decides to switch jobs between cores, it wont be switched to a core thats 'parked' (lower power consumption lower performance). You should see a difference in your CPU graphs right away.

About core parking:
Quote:
Core Parking is a sleep state (C6) supported by most newer x86 processors, and newer editions of Windows. Core Parking dynamically disables CPU cores in an effort to conserve power when idle. Disabled cores are re-enabled as the CPU load increases once again. This technology is very similar to frequency scaling, in that it seeks to throttle the CPU when idle.

The problem is that Window's default power profiles are configured far too aggressively when it comes to core parking, especially on workstations. Their interest was in conserving energy, even if this meant marginally decreasing performance. A number of complex parameters control when a core should be parked, and Microsoft tuned heavily towards power savings.

The core parking settings in Windows are implemented as parameters of power plans (aka power profiles). That means you can, for example, disable core parking for the High Performance power plan, but leave it enabled for other plans. And that is exactly the desired tweak for most users: disable parking only for high performance power plans.

Changing the setting

1. Get the REG file

REG File to enable view of core parking settings in advanced power options in windows (safe, i tested it)

Quote:
The actual REG file contents are below.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583]
"Attributes"=dword:00000000

2. Find the setting and change it to 100%

Start -> Control Panel -> Power Options -> 'Change Plan settings' -> 'Change advanced power settings' -> Processor Power Management -> Processor performance core parking mine cores -> Set 'Setting' to 100%

Sets the minimum number of unparked cores, all of them should be unparked, thus 100%

Source: https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 07:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 42 (Unique: 34)
Here is an MS document if you want to REALLY get deep into core parking

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn613985%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

i know i downloaded all that in a .docx file somewhere, its much easier to reference to when making adjustments

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

requesting sticky, or something of that nature, super useful to disable this if you like to get everything out of your hardware and dont care about energy consumption
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 02:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 177 (Unique: 162)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCmember View Post

Here is an MS document if you want to REALLY get deep into core parking

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn613985%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

i know i downloaded all that in a .docx file somewhere, its much easier to reference to when making adjustments

This is a great link

Rather then setting minimum cores to 100% and losing all power savings, couldn't you just lower the percentage for unparking, and set Processor Performance Core UnParking Increase Policy to 'Rocket', so all cores become immediately available. Seems like a better solution.

thumb.gif

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 11:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 42 (Unique: 34)
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:hybrid:. View Post

This is a great link

Rather then setting minimum cores to 100% and losing all power savings, couldn't you just lower the percentage for unparking, and set Processor Performance Core UnParking Increase Policy to 'Rocket', so all cores become immediately available. Seems like a better solution.

I wonder. Have you tried that? Not by my PC so I'll have to try that sometime later..

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:hybrid:. View Post

This is a great link

I could care less about power savings man, i paid a LOT of money for my system, and i put a LOT of work into overclocking it and making it beast, no way in hell im going to let windows reduce ANY of my performance man.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 12:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
well,no way in hell im going to let windows reduce ANY of my performance man.thanksktdcsp
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
This makes it easier to unpark all the cores
http://coderbag.com/Programming-C/CPU-core-parking-manager
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 05:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Hi all, since ParkControl was the OP here (excerpts and a link), I was given authorization to post here.

As the OP mentioned, quoting from our page, disabling core parking can have a benefit on performance. This is because the ramp-up time is non-negligible, or Windows is too aggressive, whichever perspective you choose to prefer. In fact, that's why Intel went with on-chip managed core parking with Kaby Lake.

Indeed, I found this change by Intel rather vindicating.

Since this post I've updated ParkControl many times to add new features, such as:

1. Notifications when the active power plan changes by ANY process. It will report who changed the power plan, to and from what. (Pro)
2. Bitsum Highest Performance power plan for a one-click optimization to disable all core parking (and frequency scaling). I don't think it gets easier than that. (Pro)
3. Ability to auto switch out-of or into Bitsum Highest Performance based on user activity with Dynamic Boost. (Pro)
4. Ability to unhide applicable CPU subsystem settings in Power Options (free).
5. Ability to adjust all core parking settings for any power plan (free).
6. Real-time view of core parking activity with dynamic system tray icon. (free)

While a Pro edition is offered, you are not nagged or otherwise coerced into buying it.

The prior utility mentioned is also popular, but does direct registry edits (last I checked). I know they continue to refine it too though, so maybe this is changing. I wish them the best, but have to mention that one deficiency because...

I included full information on how to make these changes without resorting to registry edits. Why? Direct edits bypass important system notifications of changes to the power plans, thus often may require a reboot. Doing it the 'right way' is both instant and no reboots required.

As referenced:
https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/

Latest screenshort:

o bring this thread 'current'.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in