Just in case you thought more than 4 cores wasn't helpful for gaming. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Just in case you thought more than 4 cores wasn't helpful for gaming.

post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 462 (Unique: 262)
Having an 8 core FX with a healthy overclock pushing a 780ti at 1200p ( 60hz) I rarely play games at less than ultra or very high settings . So I've never really bothered to experiment with lower graphics settings ( don't want or need to use them).
At the graphics settings I usually use, I've seen fps increases setting affinity for the game going from 4 to 6 to 8 cores but nothing like what I saw when I removed the gpu bottleneck by going to the other end of the spectrum.

I did a "mail route" benchmark on the Crysis 3 welcome to the jungle level at the "low system spec" setting, this was after the enemies had been eliminated, in order to take the variability out of the test.
I put the cpu back to stock clocks and used 1920x1080 resolution and ran a series of tests using 1 to 8 cores

The spot I chose is one where there is something in the background that really throws my rigs for a loop at the very same spot every time , establishing a low that I don't recall ever seeing in the game in other places ( may happen I just dont recall ). This happens regardless of what setup I am running ( Ivy , Haswell , FX ). I purposefully did this so as to produce as wide a difference between minimum and maximum fps as I could.

I expected to see good scaling, but frankly I was astonished. Number of cores used is the bottom series on these charts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 10:03 PM

Cool, maybe compare an average OCed 8cores AMD FX with 2 average OCed intel 4core processors (HT on and off)
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 10:25 PM
Getting used to 'new'

Rep: 220 (Unique: 163)
Well, you did manage to prove that one game can take advantage of 4 threads. For most other games, you are lucky to get to 4 threads

Sig's kind of broke a little. It's okay, I needed to update it anyway XD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcEsSalvation View Post

Well, you did manage to prove that one game can take advantage of 4 threads. For most other games, you are lucky to get to 4 threads
Project Cars takes on 5 threads, Witcher 3 is very thread happy, too. We could furnish this thread into a multi-threading support list, though needless it would be to prove an obvious point.
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 05:38 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 142 (Unique: 95)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcn77 View Post

Project Cars takes on 5 threads, Witcher 3 is very thread happy, too. We could furnish this thread into a multi-threading support list, though needless it would be to prove an obvious point.

GTA V isn't too shy about threads/cores either.

When ever I'll get my hands on a supercomputer, all I'd want to do with it is watch two gifs at the same time.
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I appreciate the replies.
If people thought it would be helpful, I'd run some more benchemarks of this type.
GTA V would appear to be a good candidate, in prior experiments ( that were mostly gpu limited ) it did show improvements going from 4 to 6 to 8 cores.
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 08:06 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssorkinman View Post

If people thought it would be helpful, I'd run some more benchemarks of this type.
GTA V would appear to be a good candidate, in prior experiments ( that were mostly gpu limited ) it did show improvements going from 4 to 6 to 8 cores.

If you need help with GTA V benching on an 8350 I'd be glad to help you out.

When ever I'll get my hands on a supercomputer, all I'd want to do with it is watch two gifs at the same time.
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRabbit View Post

Quote:

If you need help with GTA V benching on an 8350 I'd be glad to help you out.

I have the game and could do it for myself when time allows, but you are most welcome to run it for yourself and present the information here if you like.

I'd be most interested in situations where the gpu isn't a bottleneck and at the most commonly used ( desktop ) gaming resolution of 1080p.

The GTA V canned benchmark has some elements of randomness within it , but I'm pretty sure trends would be expressed.
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 08:22 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Quote:

I have the game and could do it for myself when time allows, but you are most welcome to run it for yourself and present the information here if you like.

I'd be most interested in situations where the gpu isn't a bottleneck and at the most commonly used ( desktop ) gaming resolution of 1080p.

The GTA V canned benchmark has some elements of randomness within it , but I'm pretty sure trends would be expressed.

Just give me the exact settings and I'll get to it. thumb.gif

post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRabbit View Post

Quote:

Just give me the exact settings and I'll get to it. thumb.gif

I don't recall if the bench has a general "low " graphics setting, but if it does that might be a way of easily comparing across different systems at a certain preset. If not , just try to drop the settings to their lowest and let'er rip smile.gif

Have fun - appreciate your input, thank you.

It will generate a rather huge report with lots of information upon completing the bench, I think it dumps it in your document folder, you probably knew that , but I wanted to make you aware . The report should look like the one I posted on my youtube video of the bench. https://youtu.be/0638xSR4sMQ

The settings used there wouldn't be good for this comparison as the gpu was hitting 100% usage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in