Thrifty CPU - The CPU value tool for Chrome - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Thrifty CPU - The CPU value tool for Chrome

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 27 (Unique: 23)
Thrifty CPU

Introduction

If you're like me, you enjoy browsing through old or cheap hardware and trying to pick out the best deals. This can be difficult because it's very hard to track the multitude CPU names. There's loads of quick processors that you've never even heard of. I mean what about a 16-core Xeon with single thread scores as good as an FX-8350 f or $50? I say yes! biggrin.gif

ONLY TESTED IN ENGLISH

What do you get?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I've written an extension for Chrome. When you have this extension loaded and go to eBay, it will autoload itself and analyze items being displayed on the screen. If it detects a processor, it leverages Passmark's repository of scores to provide you with a short overview of performance on each processor as well as core count.

It looks like this:

It includes a suggestion regarding the value of the processor (price-performance).
I am currently unsure if it is ethical to include that. It is in the first release though.

How is the suggestion calculated?
The price to performance is currently somewhat (read as extremely) rough. It is calculated as follows:

(singlethread score * core count + multithread score) * price / 2

That value is run through a check which is:
200 and greater - Great value!
150 to 200 - Good value!
100 to 150 - Okay value
50 to 100 - Bad value
1 to 50 - Run away

The problem here is that it's hard to weigh single thread vs multithread accurately when there could be processors with up to 64 cores. If someone has any suggestions, I'd be happy to update the formula smile.gif

What should I know if I use this?

• Due to the program running 100% self contained (it does not reach out to any servers or websites), the entire list of CPU's is stored internally. This causes it to take longer than it would if it offloaded the string comparison to a server with a database.
  • Not all listings are detected. I worked to make the detection as good as possible for the first release; but there are still problems. I will work on improving detection for future releases.
  • Comparisons do not account for pricing on MULTIPLE CPUs. IE 2 for one server CPUs will be calculated as though the price is for one CPU
  • Although it shouldn't happen on a regular basis, the comparison can be wrong (Xeon v3, v4, v5 etc. throw it off occasionally). I've included the processor name in the returned info so you can verify for yourself that it is displaying the information for the correct processor.

How to Install

1. Click the download link at the top of this post provided by Google Drive. Click download on the linked site.
  2. In chrome, you will likely get the message below. Click continue:

3. Click the little arrow on the download, and click "Show in folder"
  4. In Chrome, navigate to the address: [URL=chrome://extensions/]chrome://extensions/[/URL]
  5. Drag and drop the downloaded file into the chrome window

6. You should now see ThriftyCPU here. If you ever want to get rid of it, click the trashcan on the right. If you would like to temporarily disable it, disable the checkbox.

Let me know if you have any additional questions

Disclaimer
This software is provided to you for 100% free use. The recommendations are based on a completely transparent and neutral formula.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in