Considering new build - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Considering new build

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
:]
 
blucube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 51
Rep: 0
What's the take on RAM these days? Reading suggests RAM can affect Ryzen performance to some extent?

Who put the fun in Dysfunctional?
blucube is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 08:15 AM
RGB Rainbow Vomit!
 
Ricwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southport, UK
Posts: 985
Rep: 32 (Unique: 26)
Quote: Originally Posted by blucube View Post
What's the take on RAM these days? Reading suggests RAM can affect Ryzen performance to some extent?
Buy a decent X470 or even high end B450 motherboard, then 3000Mhz (preferably faster) RAM. Make sure to check the motherboards QVL though to ensure compatibility.
Ignore Gigabyte completely.


My first Ryzen build contained a Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3, 16Gb 3000Mhz Vengeance LP (confirmed it was on the Gigabyte QVL first) and a Ryzen 5 1500X.
If the RAM was set at anything other than the base 2133Mhz speed, the system would crash. After two months, I discovered the scale of Gigabyte's problems on the AM4 platform and everything went back to Amazon for a full refund.
A quick search shows complains of the same thing on Gigabyte's B450 and X470 products as well.

Crystal
(10 items)
O M E N
(9 items)
The Movie Box
(10 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600
Motherboard
Asus TUF B450M
GPU
EVGA 1070 Ti SC Black Edition
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16Gb 2933MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 250Gb
Hard Drive
Kingston HyperX Fury 480Gb
Power Supply
EVGA 750GQ
Cooling
BeQuiet! Pure Rock Slim
Case
Corsair Crystal 280X White
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
CPU
Intel i7 6700HQ
GPU
Nvidia GTX 965m 4Gb
RAM
Ballistix Sport LT 16Gb 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 250Gb
Hard Drive
HyperX Fury 480Gb
Case
OMEN 15 by HP
Operating System
Windows 10 Home x64
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 700
Audio
Creative Play!3 & M-Audio AV30.
CPU
AMD A8 7600 APU
Motherboard
MSI A88XI AC v2
GPU
AMD A8 7600 APU
RAM
8Gb Corsair DDR3 1600MHz
Hard Drive
120Gb KingDian S280 SSD
Power Supply
CIT 500w SFX PSU
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 64plus
Case
Silverstone ML05b
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
42" 1080p HD TV
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Ricwin; 01-14-2019 at 08:27 AM.
Ricwin is offline  
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 08:45 AM
ORL
H20 only!
 
ORL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: STL
Posts: 348
Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Quote: Originally Posted by blucube View Post
What's the take on RAM these days? Reading suggests RAM can affect Ryzen performance to some extent?
First off, hello to person who lives right down the road from me.

AMD has for a long time been intertwined heavily with memory performance. I to am about to build a new system and have been ordering my water cooling parts, the new processors are quiet impressive. You have a few months before the next Ryzen releases, however as was previously mentioned there are many cheap options out there to fill the socket in the mean time.

The battle you will face with memory is speed to latency, do your research on peoples results not only overclocking the frequency, but the latency as well. Back in the DD3 days Mushkin Blackline was my go to for overclocking builds, they could perform amazingly on AMD, but times have changed. I will be interested to see your part list, and will try to remember to report back if I find good options for you as well.

I also wanted to jump in here and mention something about buying a board today versus then however. While this particular item is somewhat minimal in actual performance. The Ryzen 3 will support PCI-E 4.0 which as you likely know is not an open ticket item on todays motherboards. This being said however, its recently come to light that the motherboard manufacturers have been planning for this and many boards out there in the x470 family are in fact built to support this, but not all. If a board is to be selected, and to use the future standard, make sure you snag one of top tier quality to help the odds of being able to get that CMOS update to unlock PCI-E 4.0 as the processors are released.

I look forward to seeing your build and am retiring both of my Intel and AMD systems for a new AMD system as well. The new x470 EK monoblocks look pretty sexy!
ORL is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 09:36 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
pgdeaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 712
Rep: 36 (Unique: 35)
WWPD

I was a little underwhelmed by what was shared at CES myself. I was really hoping for more detail.
I would seriously like to build an AMD system but the more I read the less sure I am.

With the x470 chipset:
First - Understand that you will not get better than DDR4 3200 to work reliably from what I have read.
Second - Mobo support for NVME PCI 3.0 is limited to 1 stick the rest use chipset which is limited to PCI 2.0.
Third - If you are planning on a 2080ti, the Intel chips might perform better. It depends on your monitor and the games you play. At least that is my take away from this article and just about every other 2080ti review I have read. https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreview...8700k-and-more

What I hope is that they address some of this in the x570 chipset and the 3K series Ryzen. Problem for me is that I have seen nothing other than optimistic speculation at this point. I'm not sure I want to wait until August to build my system.

“Who you are is defined by what you’re willing to struggle for.”― Mark Manson
Nuka Cola
(0 items)
▲ hide details ▲
pgdeaner is offline  
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 12:25 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
rdr09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: From the US but lives in Africa
Posts: 17,990
Rep: 849 (Unique: 621)
Quote: Originally Posted by blucube View Post
What's the take on RAM these days? Reading suggests RAM can affect Ryzen performance to some extent?
RAM does affect Ryzen performance. I recommend this set . . .

https://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-Flare...+3200+mhz+cl14

Paired it with an Asus B350F Strix last Oct 2017 and ran it at 3200MHz using DOCP (XMP). Oc'ed it too up to 3466MHz easy. Now resides in my Asus Prime X470Pro. Same deal. Runs at 3200MHz DOCP. Can Oc'ed same up to 3466.


EDIT: Found this too . . .


https://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-Tride...00C17D-16GTZKW

For other B-die RAM, look here . . .

https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/

[email protected] 6 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2211392 4.6 @ 4 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2216580
5.0 @ 8 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2511322
2nd AMD Build
(10 items)
CPU
2700
Motherboard
X470
GPU
290
RAM
3200 CL14
Hard Drive
1000
Power Supply
700
Case
212
Operating System
10/64
Monitor
40 1080
Keyboard
M100
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by rdr09; 01-14-2019 at 12:34 PM.
rdr09 is offline  
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 12:56 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
pgdeaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 712
Rep: 36 (Unique: 35)
Voltage?

What voltage and timing are you running? Did you use the new calculator?

Quote: Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post
RAM does affect Ryzen performance. I recommend this set . . .

https://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-Flare...+3200+mhz+cl14

Paired it with an Asus B350F Strix last Oct 2017 and ran it at 3200MHz using DOCP (XMP). Oc'ed it too up to 3466MHz easy. Now resides in my Asus Prime X470Pro. Same deal. Runs at 3200MHz DOCP. Can Oc'ed same up to 3466.


EDIT: Found this too . . .


https://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-Tride...00C17D-16GTZKW

For other B-die RAM, look here . . .

https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/

“Who you are is defined by what you’re willing to struggle for.”― Mark Manson
Nuka Cola
(0 items)
▲ hide details ▲
pgdeaner is offline  
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 01:39 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
rdr09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: From the US but lives in Africa
Posts: 17,990
Rep: 849 (Unique: 621)
Quote: Originally Posted by pgdeaner View Post
What voltage and timing are you running? Did you use the new calculator?

For 3200MHz, which is the Manufacturer's spec, i just use 3200 DOCP CL14 (XMP). All the rest of settings are auto including voltages.

I do have a Fast Preset for 3266 CL14 and 3466MHz CL14. Using 1.35v and 1.41v respectively as recommended by the 1usmus' DRAM Calculator.

[email protected] 6 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2211392 4.6 @ 4 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2216580
5.0 @ 8 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2511322
2nd AMD Build
(10 items)
CPU
2700
Motherboard
X470
GPU
290
RAM
3200 CL14
Hard Drive
1000
Power Supply
700
Case
212
Operating System
10/64
Monitor
40 1080
Keyboard
M100
▲ hide details ▲
rdr09 is offline  
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 04:29 PM
Overclocker
 
JackCY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 9,050
Rep: 301 (Unique: 220)
You will definitely want to wait for 7nm CPUs and GPUs before buying. If you need a computer at two locations, get a laptop and keep your old good desktop at the most used place.
When will Intel launch any 10nm CPUs... who knows, maybe they will manage to before they go bankrupt. AMD is on track to launch, not sure they said when but I would guess end of Q2 aka summer. I think AMD will achieve a parity with Intel in terms of performance but at a much lower cost unless Intel switches to chiplets finally as well.

GPUs... who knows, we are all screwed with that one, no competition on the market, Nvidia setting prices as they see fit, monopoly.
JackCY is offline  
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
:]
 
blucube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 51
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by ORL View Post
First off, hello to person who lives right down the road from me.

AMD has for a long time been intertwined heavily with memory performance. I to am about to build a new system and have been ordering my water cooling parts, the new processors are quiet impressive. You have a few months before the next Ryzen releases, however as was previously mentioned there are many cheap options out there to fill the socket in the mean time.

The battle you will face with memory is speed to latency, do your research on peoples results not only overclocking the frequency, but the latency as well. Back in the DD3 days Mushkin Blackline was my go to for overclocking builds, they could perform amazingly on AMD, but times have changed. I will be interested to see your part list, and will try to remember to report back if I find good options for you as well.

I also wanted to jump in here and mention something about buying a board today versus then however. While this particular item is somewhat minimal in actual performance. The Ryzen 3 will support PCI-E 4.0 which as you likely know is not an open ticket item on todays motherboards. This being said however, its recently come to light that the motherboard manufacturers have been planning for this and many boards out there in the x470 family are in fact built to support this, but not all. If a board is to be selected, and to use the future standard, make sure you snag one of top tier quality to help the odds of being able to get that CMOS update to unlock PCI-E 4.0 as the processors are released.

I look forward to seeing your build and am retiring both of my Intel and AMD systems for a new AMD system as well. The new x470 EK monoblocks look pretty sexy!
Hey! Yea my location info is a bit out of date these days... I'm actually in South County myself lol. So hello from even closer than perceived! My builds usually aren't TOO exciting... Currently I'm monitoring:

ASROCK AMD X470 Chip Set ATX Motherboard X470 Taichi Ultimate
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Processor
RTX2080

Although I don't NEED it today but - watching for sales to convince me to pull the trigger. As mentioned before I'm not too terribly excited about waiting but... I guess I could and sounds like maybe I should? I appreciate the info!

---

I appreciate the info/convo from everyone else! Sounds like there maybe more things to consider than simply the CPU socket type at the end of the day... which is sad - PCI, NVMe... I was already sad about the current GPU options ;p

Who put the fun in Dysfunctional?
blucube is offline  
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 11:34 AM
ORL
H20 only!
 
ORL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: STL
Posts: 348
Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Im in Fenton myself, work over in Affton, doing my absolute best to wait for x570 but like you, I'm not the greatest at patience.

As for sales, check out the deals over at Microcenter currently. Or as the time progresses. They offer CPU-Mobo bundles year round that usually save you a healthy amount of cash. Its easy as well being in Brentwood to just drive over and pickup same day. Here is just a random example for $286. https://www.microcenter.com/product/...erboard-bundle

Usually their bundles are about $30 off standard costs. Sometimes though you can really get a killer deal from them. Remember to check prices online though before window shopping, as they don't always keep sticker prices up to date, and things might be cheaper than what you see on the shelf. I do feel like their memory prices are typically average to a bit higher than elsewhere, but they are usually better on the combo fronts. I believe even if they don't have the bundle listed on the website, they will still give you the $30 dollars off when bundling any motherboard they carry with a compatible processor.

Since your planning on going with an RTX2080, you don't really need to worry about PCI-E4.0 as it doesn't support it anyways as a PCI-E 3.0 card unless I am mistaken. A x470 will be more than sufficient bandwidth wise to handle the card.
ORL is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off