Considering new build - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Considering new build

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
:]
 
blucube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 51
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by ORL View Post
Im in Fenton myself, work over in Affton, doing my absolute best to wait for x570 but like you, I'm not the greatest at patience.

As for sales, check out the deals over at Microcenter currently. Or as the time progresses. They offer CPU-Mobo bundles year round that usually save you a healthy amount of cash. Its easy as well being in Brentwood to just drive over and pickup same day. Here is just a random example for $286. https://www.microcenter.com/product/...erboard-bundle

Usually their bundles are about $30 off standard costs. Sometimes though you can really get a killer deal from them. Remember to check prices online though before window shopping, as they don't always keep sticker prices up to date, and things might be cheaper than what you see on the shelf. I do feel like their memory prices are typically average to a bit higher than elsewhere, but they are usually better on the combo fronts. I believe even if they don't have the bundle listed on the website, they will still give you the $30 dollars off when bundling any motherboard they carry with a compatible processor.

Since your planning on going with an RTX2080, you don't really need to worry about PCI-E4.0 as it doesn't support it anyways as a PCI-E 3.0 card unless I am mistaken. A x470 will be more than sufficient bandwidth wise to handle the card.

I've yet to check out Microcenter, I know I need to... thanks! - Just was introduced to Gateway Electronics a week or so ago which was pretty cool if you're looking for odds and ends. FACT of the matter is... I'm not super impressed personally with the RTX series, It's hard to say without knowing what to expect but I'd imagine the GTX1100 series would be more performance based then the RTX Ray Tracing Focus?

Who put the fun in Dysfunctional?
blucube is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 06:40 PM
ORL
H20 only!
 
ORL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: STL
Posts: 348
Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Id expect the 1100 series to offer the same performance levels as the RTX lines do without the Ray Tracing, I would also expect them to issue TI versions as well eventually that exceed RTX performance to basically try and price saturate the market while the tech is in infancy. The idea behind it though is very poor as its basically trying to screw investors into the RTX to try and make a few dollars while the tech develops. If anything, I would say the ray tracing GPUs were to early and they knew it after the fact, and will try and keep money flowing for investors. The whole thing seems kind of shady to me, but I am no market professional either. I however am typically about a 50/50 Intel/AMD and nVidia/AMD guy. I buy dollar to performance/needs. This time, nVidia appears like they are pulling fast ones on consumers to me so I will be buying the new Vega RII instead unless its a dud. We will know in February on that when the new AMD releases how it truly stacks up to the green team. If your not impressed with the RTX yet, do not buy it. Besides, since your not ready to build your system, why not wait for another option to possibly drive prices down on the green side.

EDIT: If you havent checked out Microcenter yet... you are missing out... You should make it a point to visit this weekend!

Last edited by ORL; 01-15-2019 at 06:50 PM.
ORL is offline  
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
:]
 
blucube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 51
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by ORL View Post
Id expect the 1100 series to offer the same performance levels as the RTX lines do without the Ray Tracing, I would also expect them to issue TI versions as well eventually that exceed RTX performance to basically try and price saturate the market while the tech is in infancy. The idea behind it though is very poor as its basically trying to screw investors into the RTX to try and make a few dollars while the tech develops. If anything, I would say the ray tracing GPUs were to early and they knew it after the fact, and will try and keep money flowing for investors. The whole thing seems kind of shady to me, but I am no market professional either. I however am typically about a 50/50 Intel/AMD and nVidia/AMD guy. I buy dollar to performance/needs. This time, nVidia appears like they are pulling fast ones on consumers to me so I will be buying the new Vega RII instead unless its a dud. We will know in February on that when the new AMD releases how it truly stacks up to the green team. If your not impressed with the RTX yet, do not buy it. Besides, since your not ready to build your system, why not wait for another option to possibly drive prices down on the green side.

EDIT: If you havent checked out Microcenter yet... you are missing out... You should make it a point to visit this weekend!
Saw an article that NVidia is expected to release a GTX1660Ti - although they said it was expected to have the same performance as the GTX1070 after they phase out the 1000 series cards (which they stopped making and are sold out of now they say). I guess it has less CUDA Cores but supposedly faster architecture or something is their explanation... Sounds like a bunk deal to me...

I haven't used an AMD card in a very, very long time but throw them in friends builds and just was never really impressed with their drivers. Perhaps I was doing it wrong but it seemed like you had to download this entire front end piece of bloatware to install the driver in tandem... though with the way Intel/Nvidia is handling things right now - might even abandon the RTX/GTX series this build.

Who put the fun in Dysfunctional?
blucube is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 09:55 AM
ORL
H20 only!
 
ORL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: STL
Posts: 348
Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Honestly, I cannot really attest to the current drivers for AMD as I do not use them. I run all Linux systems and it wouldn't even be remotely fair to say they are better or worse in Windows as I really do not know.

In retrospect, the entire RTX line may have been a market ploy to try and entice developers into the ray tracing tech full scale so nVidia can start pushing proprietary instruction patents like Intel did to AMD back in the day with CPUs to curb the fact the new processors were crushing the P3 and P4 units. But we could speculate all day. I think the general consensus is that nVidia illustrated they didn't care about tech advancement as much as taking advantage of consumers for cash this go by reverting. I think AMD has made huge strides but still not caught up with them yet as capital was fruitfully used to catch up to Intel instead (good for consumers here at least).

Ultimately the Vega lines when tech advances will be AMDs version of the Titan, Navi is what has me wondering though. Come end of Q2 or early Q3 of this year we will know a lot more, but at this time AMD is positioning itself in the market intentionally and its obvious.

The end results of this either way means a price war with Navi vs the 1100/2000 series, being good for all purchasers. If I am unable to secure a Vega VII, ill just go buy a RX580 and wait for Navi. Either way I win with Navi and Ryzen 3 mid year or maybe Ryzen 3 and a 11XX/2XXX, who knows! But the 580 will hold me over till July for sure.
ORL is offline  
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
:]
 
blucube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 51
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by ORL View Post
Honestly, I cannot really attest to the current drivers for AMD as I do not use them. I run all Linux systems and it wouldn't even be remotely fair to say they are better or worse in Windows as I really do not know.

In retrospect, the entire RTX line may have been a market ploy to try and entice developers into the ray tracing tech full scale so nVidia can start pushing proprietary instruction patents like Intel did to AMD back in the day with CPUs to curb the fact the new processors were crushing the P3 and P4 units. But we could speculate all day. I think the general consensus is that nVidia illustrated they didn't care about tech advancement as much as taking advantage of consumers for cash this go by reverting. I think AMD has made huge strides but still not caught up with them yet as capital was fruitfully used to catch up to Intel instead (good for consumers here at least).

Ultimately the Vega lines when tech advances will be AMDs version of the Titan, Navi is what has me wondering though. Come end of Q2 or early Q3 of this year we will know a lot more, but at this time AMD is positioning itself in the market intentionally and its obvious.

The end results of this either way means a price war with Navi vs the 1100/2000 series, being good for all purchasers. If I am unable to secure a Vega VII, ill just go buy a RX580 and wait for Navi. Either way I win with Navi and Ryzen 3 mid year or maybe Ryzen 3 and a 11XX/2XXX, who knows! But the 580 will hold me over till July for sure.
Well for what it's worth I haven't read the article but in my feed the headline said AMD ensured everyone they will have enough VII stock - so, hopefully that's true. Linux huh? I consider it now and again but... I'm not sure I'm ready! lol. I basically use my PC as a streaming server of sorts, hosts some other web applications, essentially NAS, Games, and my audio interface/DAW for recording... I'm sure that's pretty ugly looking for those that would like to separate the processes but... it works for me for right now. I just kinda figured with everything being geared for Windows... some for MAC but little for Linux the user experience wouldn't be there for me... but - maybe Linux is way more versatile and efficient these days than what it seemed like the last time I looked into it (which is so long ago I can't remember when that was exactly).

However... I do have an ODroid I was going to flash Linux onto and try to create a DDNS server but that's neither here nor there on this topic! Though that was a long winded way to segue into some small OS chat. I'm okay with Windows - I don't hate it but... if a Linux distro ever were to get the the same or at least near the same support as hardware/software does for Windows I'd switch in a heart beat. I just would like everything to run, run as efficiently as possible without having an intermediary platform to run applications that normally wouldn't run stock on Linux (if that makes any sense). Though I'm getting ready for W10 to surprise us all one day soon and treat Windows more like an active service than it is a piece of software (monthly subs)...

Who put the fun in Dysfunctional?
blucube is offline  
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 06:42 AM
ORL
H20 only!
 
ORL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: STL
Posts: 348
Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
You might want to look into Linux then again if its been that long. Things have changed a lot for the entry users. You still might need to hop in and dig around for a cure to some abstract issue you find but the support is immense.

I would recommend trying out Linux Mint if you ever transitions from Windows. Its GUI is similar to windows but with endless customization and its based on Debian, so it has access to the biggest software repositories as Ubuntu shares this trait. I personally use Mint on my gaming/general usage PC at home as my wife finds it to be as friendly as Windows. And she has ZERO skill in computer operation.

In a weird twist of events a few months ago Steam launched something called Proton, which lives inside the steam client and can now run almost any Windows game in steam as well. Many still have bugs being worked out so a few games require you to take a step or two to get working. Stand alone DRM clients like uPlay are still troublesome though.

All in All, Linux Mint is the place to be for entry level into Linux, with virtually unlimited free software its amazing. Eventually you may evolve into Arch Linux, but honestly, Debian based distributions really fit almost every users needs.
ORL is offline  
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
:]
 
blucube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 51
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by ORL View Post
You might want to look into Linux then again if its been that long. Things have changed a lot for the entry users. You still might need to hop in and dig around for a cure to some abstract issue you find but the support is immense.

I would recommend trying out Linux Mint if you ever transitions from Windows. Its GUI is similar to windows but with endless customization and its based on Debian, so it has access to the biggest software repositories as Ubuntu shares this trait. I personally use Mint on my gaming/general usage PC at home as my wife finds it to be as friendly as Windows. And she has ZERO skill in computer operation.

In a weird twist of events a few months ago Steam launched something called Proton, which lives inside the steam client and can now run almost any Windows game in steam as well. Many still have bugs being worked out so a few games require you to take a step or two to get working. Stand alone DRM clients like uPlay are still troublesome though.

All in All, Linux Mint is the place to be for entry level into Linux, with virtually unlimited free software its amazing. Eventually you may evolve into Arch Linux, but honestly, Debian based distributions really fit almost every users needs.

Thanks! May have to try it out in the near future... can't remember if I mentioned it or not but I did try dual booting years ago... got it to work... then decided not to... and in both instances if I recall correctly the MBR got pretty jacked up lol... probably just being a novice but... from then on out I decided sharing a HDD with 2 OS partitions was not for me any longer.

Who put the fun in Dysfunctional?
blucube is offline  
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 12:33 PM
ORL
H20 only!
 
ORL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: STL
Posts: 348
Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Quote: Originally Posted by blucube View Post
Thanks! May have to try it out in the near future... can't remember if I mentioned it or not but I did try dual booting years ago... got it to work... then decided not to... and in both instances if I recall correctly the MBR got pretty jacked up lol... probably just being a novice but... from then on out I decided sharing a HDD with 2 OS partitions was not for me any longer.
Your memory would be correct. It can jack your MBR up pretty badly and can be a pain to repair later if you decide you do not like it with a dual boot, I dont even dual boot at all. Its pure Linux for me. Advantageously though, if you want to try it free of MBR issues, just download uNetBootIn and install the distro to a thumb drive. Tell your PC to boot from USB and give it a whirl. No MBR required, it will be slower as thumb drives are the snail of storage speeds. But it will introduce you.
ORL is offline  
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 06:10 AM
Overclocker in training
 
ThrashZone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 6,160
Rep: 48 (Unique: 38)
Quote: Originally Posted by blucube View Post
Thanks! May have to try it out in the near future... can't remember if I mentioned it or not but I did try dual booting years ago... got it to work... then decided not to... and in both instances if I recall correctly the MBR got pretty jacked up lol... probably just being a novice but... from then on out I decided sharing a HDD with 2 OS partitions was not for me any longer.
Hi,
I've gone to using one of these for dual booting win-10 got me going this way back in the beginning but serves well now and the plus is linux is a lot easier too to deal with

Life is a lot easier
Take one os and data ssd out and insert another
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Vaper
(4 items)
CPU
i9-99400x With evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
ASUS x299 TUF Mark 2
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
redragon
Audio
Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
CPU
i7-5930k with evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000w P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon
Audio
Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
SMOK Alien 220w
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-3mg
▲ hide details ▲
ThrashZone is offline  
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 09:38 AM
ORL
H20 only!
 
ORL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: STL
Posts: 348
Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
I've gone to using one of these for dual booting win-10 got me going this way back in the beginning but serves well now and the plus is linux is a lot easier too to deal with

Life is a lot easier
Take one os and data ssd out and insert another
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I used to do the same thing! Except I just used a case with hotswap bays it came with, not this product. But now I don't even bother with windows at all.

When you do your build dont forget to show it off in the build log section!
ORL is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off