Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Considering new build
After CES and reading around a bit, left me with some uncertainty. I'm in a situation where I basically have 2 home bases, one with a PC and one not. Though I'm considering a 2nd build for the 2nd location - and hoping to almost mirror certain data between the two stations.
My existing build does JUST the amount I want it to. FFXV maxed out (I believe 1080p - been a sec) runs well but it is RIGHT at it's performance threshold:
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
ASRock Z270 Killer SLI/ac
Intel Core i5 7600K delid/reseal liquid metal @ 5Ghz (4.7ghz cache) air cooled
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 1709Mhz / 5387Mhz (OC w/ After burner if needed - can only achieve +120 Core Clock & +380ish Mem)
Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 500GB
Acer Predator XB271HU
For my 2nd build I was hoping to have a good upgrade path, I've also been an Intel/NVIDIA fan boy for some time. I never did have an issue with AMD Proc's - but just felt better with Intel. However I tend to avoid the GPU's - was never a big fan of the software end of things with my minimal experience with them.
But - now after the news I hit a wall. It sounds like it's going to be Q4 before any new Proc's launch and it's all speculation but... I can't decide to just pick from the current tech on the market - or continue to wait to ensure an upgrade path. Although, for today, I'm not super impressed with RTX at this point although I'd consider getting one. Though, someone like me might benefit more from waiting for the 1100 series cards.
I can get excited and a bit impatient which can screw me down the line so... I wanted to take my anxiety and uncertainties here and see if someone can help me organize my thoughts a bit better on what the "intelligent" decision is at this moment.
Thanks for your time and consideration in advance!
Who put the fun in Dysfunctional?