Should I upgrade from the i5 2500k @4.7 GHz? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Should I upgrade from the i5 2500k @4.7 GHz?

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 11:23 PM
Senior Overclocker

Rep: 263 (Unique: 232)
Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
Rofl!
I upgraded from a 4690k to a 4790k at the same speed plus 16gb of 2400 Mhz cas11 ram and noticed a huge difference with a GTX1080 running 1440p. That's an upgrade in the same generation at the same speed! Imagine what an 8700k or 2700x would have done! We're talking 50% improvements AT 1440P! Improvement in some areas just becasue the game has enough threads now.

To suggest that upgrading from 4c/4t to 6c/6t and up does almost nothing is laughable and assumes you game with a lower FPS cap or are just unable to comprehend data. Maybe if all you playing is games from 2006 there won't be much difference..or if your running 4k with a 1070 rofl

This guy is wrong af. 4c/4t is a huge limitation for almost any Pascal GPU. Your case is even worse since you have a much slower 4c/4t CPU than I had.
Thank you Owl, I was just gonna ignore his reply
You are absolutely correct. To compare a Sandy Bridge 4c/4t CPU to a modern day CPU and say that it will run the same on a Pascal is just delusional. As I also pointed out, I had a 4c/8t at 4.8Ghz and indeed the FPS difference wasn't that big, but minimums increased noticeably while CPU bound games increased minimums and average substantially. Don't even wanna know how big the difference would have been with only 4 threads too.

C2D 6750 -> C2Q 6600 -> C2Q 9550 -> i7 2600k -> i7 8700k
8800GT -> 8800GTS 512 -> GTX285 -> GTX480 -> GTX580 -> GTX780ti -> GTX980ti -> GTX1080ti
R.I.P. Daniel Costin (Syrillian)
Animal Mother
(18 items)
CPU
i7 8700k 5Ghz 1.39v delid
Motherboard
Asrock Z370 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X @ 2063Mhz/6000Mhz
RAM
16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600Mhz CL18
Hard Drive
Kingston UV400 240GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2x640GB Raid 0
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 1TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Red 2TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Green 2x3TB
Hard Drive
WD Elements 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair TX750W V2
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Case
Cooler Master 690 II Advanced
Operating System
Windows 10 x64
Monitor
LG 29UM69G 2560x1080 @ 75Hz
Keyboard
Redragon Yama
Mouse
Redragon Titanoboa 2
Audio
Asus Xonar DX / Plantronics Gamecom 777 / Logitech Z506
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 06:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
I'm of the opinion that it's only worth upgrading if your either
A) Capping your northbridge transfer rate.
B) Your applications benefit a lot from multi-threading.

With your 1070, I would be suprised if your capping the northbridge, if you are, you may be able to adjust by overclocking it. There's a thread somewhere around here about 'How to tell if your GPU is Northbridge capped' I'm not sure I got the name right, and I can't seem to find it, but maybe someone can point to it. This seemed to be a big problem with 1080ti's on older processors, not so much for 1080's or other graphics cards. It's certainly possible to cap a lessor graphics card with a low end processor, but it didn't seem to be a big issue for most people.

That said, your 4 thread CPU is a bit dated. An 8700K has 12 threads, by that logic we would expect that to be 3x as fast; but there's a lot of applications that are waiting for a response from a single task before they can assign other tasks. Those applications don't benefit from multiple threads as much. I would think if your playing FPS games, or VR, an upgrade would be worth it. I don't have VR, so take what I say with a grain of salt. You could look for benchmarks with the specific games/applications your running, that would provide the most information.

If your a true FPS junkie, you run the latest processor, latest graphics card, and a 240hz monitor. Take every gunfight and know that your reactions should beat theirs. If you lose, you know it's because you need more practice, which is exactly what your doing by taking every gunfight. Shroud does this, and is very successful with it. He's one of the few gamers who takes the time to overclock his CPU, RAM, and GPU... He's also a full time gamer with a pro history in CS go. How much you care depends on you.

Personally I'm running an older 27" 1440p IPS panel (it overclocks to 116 hz). I find I lose a lot of heads up gunfights, when I feel I shot them before I died. As such, I have to play a lot more tactically and give them opportunities to make mistakes. I've been tempted to drop $1800 on a new graphics card and monitor. Unfortunately I don't like the RTX series. A shame, I've got an itch and it's hard to scratch.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 07:27 PM
Water-cooler

Rep: 44 (Unique: 38)
You will notice a huge difference. I noticed a difference in general smoothness on the desktop just going from an overclocked 5775c to a 9900k even at stock speeds before the OC. Depending on the games you play you should notice a pretty good pick up from the architectural improvements generation over generation as well as more threads... there have been more than a few reviews showing that 4 threads can hold you back in modern games. Not to mention the newer instruction sets that you will be able to take advantage of in day to day use. I'm not saying get a 9900k... but an 8700k or 2700x should be a blazing upgrade.

For the goober saying he is in the same boat with an FX CPU... lol I went from an 8350 @ 5.1 GHz to a 4770k @ 4.4 and it blew it out of the water in every single task I did. You both would see nice boost in everything with the above mentioned CPUs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Quote: Originally Posted by NBrock View Post
You will notice a huge difference. I noticed a difference in general smoothness on the desktop just going from an overclocked 5775c to a 9900k even at stock speeds before the OC. Depending on the games you play you should notice a pretty good pick up from the architectural improvements generation over generation as well as more threads... there have been more than a few reviews showing that 4 threads can hold you back in modern games. Not to mention the newer instruction sets that you will be able to take advantage of in day to day use. I'm not saying get a 9900k... but an 8700k or 2700x should be a blazing upgrade.

For the goober saying he is in the same boat with an FX CPU... lol I went from an 8350 @ 5.1 GHz to a 4770k @ 4.4 and it blew it out of the water in every single task I did. You both would see nice boost in everything with the above mentioned CPUs.
What about the 2700 (non X) or the 9600k, would that be noticeable as well, in your opinion?

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 10:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 34 (Unique: 34)
At this point you might as well wait for Ryzen 3000 benchmark to pop up.
I have a 4790K at 4.6ghz with 16gb 2400mhz and will most likely wait before upgrading.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 11:17 AM
Water-cooler

Rep: 44 (Unique: 38)
Quote: Originally Posted by Paps.pt View Post
What about the 2700 (non X) or the 9600k, would that be noticeable as well, in your opinion?

The 2700 non x is a great CPU, if you want to overclock it. If you don't want to be bothered overclocking I would say the 2700x would be the better choice. As for the 9600k, I can't say for sure. I believe I saw some reviews where it had some odd issues with frame time spikes depending on title.
If it were me, and it was a choice between a 2700 and 9600k, I'd be tempted to go with the 2700 or 2700x and OC especially if you are close to a microcenter. Their prices for the 2700 and 2700x are a good bit lower than the 8700k and 9700k. If money doesn't matter as much, I'd say 8700k and 9700k are a better bet for strictly gaming performance.

I also agree that at this point it may be worth waiting to see what the Ryzen 3xxx CPUs are like.

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 09:04 AM
ORL
H20 only!

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Quote: Originally Posted by NBrock View Post

Well, I blew up my motherboard and a stick of memory last night as unfortunate collateral damage trying for 5.3ghz for fun. So I will be testing this whole discussion very very soon.

But while I am at it, there are a few examples of exactly what I had been talking about. If you scroll down in this thread although its on the older 980TI the results are... shocker... exactly what I have described to the OP. I love the people jumping in here justifying their comments about personal opinion with attacks, while lacking any evidence. https://forums.tomshardware.com/thre...-1070.2681438/

In full disclosure, and also pointing to my previous responses. In CPU bound games you will see substantial gains. Even to the tune of a theoretical 50% increase in FPS in games such as Fallout 4 which rely heavily on the CPU in the background. But as always, in games where your really not relying on the CPU and mainly on the GPU, the performance gains will be in line with the graphs provided.

To the others here, maybe do your research first instead of spouting your opinions without investigation. Yes, you may directly have experienced massive gains in one or two titles that in your head justified the comments. But if the OP only plays select GPU bound games, then no he isn't going to see any glaring light at the end of the upgrade tunnel.

So stop being goobers
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 12:43 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 125 (Unique: 95)
No one cares about your almost 3 year old thread about an 8350. We're talking about an i5 with only 4 threads running modern games.
Meybe figure out what hardware everyone is talking about next time. Iirc you're the one that brought up the 8350...which is still relevant because games finally did take a turn towards multithreading but still not great if you plan on using a faster GPU for higher frame rates.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 05:40 AM
ORL
H20 only!

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
No one cares about your almost 3 year old thread about an 8350. We're talking about an i5 with only 4 threads running modern games.
Meybe figure out what hardware everyone is talking about next time. Iirc you're the one that brought up the 8350...which is still relevant because games finally did take a turn towards multithreading but still not great if you plan on using a faster GPU for higher frame rates.
Whatever bud, evidence is evidence. Don't be bitter if its provided.

OP as stated, please do your research. Yes, your going to see performance gains. No they are not going to be eye poppingly enormous unless its specifically games that rely on and are limited by your CPU. Do your research in the titles you specifically play. Good luck OP, i'm out again.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Thanks everyone for all your opinions.
I am still having the itch to upgrade but I believe that it could be wise to wait for Ryzen 2 at this moment, instead of just upgrading now to the AMD 2700X or even the Intel 9700K. Is there a release date for the new AMD Ryzens?

Cheers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in