Overclock i7-920 or upgrade CPU? - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Overclock i7-920 or upgrade CPU?

post #31 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 04:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 61 (Unique: 47)
you can use clover to use PCI-e SSD's and things. only difference is you'll be using PCI-e 2.0 x4 instead of 3.0 x4.

it's pretty cool, but that's if you're using NVME etc etc and using the actual bandwidth for it lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 05:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 63 (Unique: 46)
i7 920 max Turbo Frequency 2.93GHz overclocking to 3.7GHz would give you about 26% performance boost.

i5 8600K
Noctua NH-U14S
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370-HD3
G.SKILL Ripjaws v 16GB
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC ULTRA GAMING
ASUS VG279Q 27" 1920x1080p 144Hz IPS panel G-Sync compatible
post #33 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 05:45 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 64 (Unique: 60)
Why do you guys keep telling him to remove memory? OP has 2 sets of 3 sticks rated at the same frequency and CAS latencies. This will not affect whether his RAM runs in triple channel, nor will it affect his core overclock other than that he'll need to apply a little more voltage to the memory controller. I had the same motherboard and CPU running at 4GHz with 6GB of OCZ memory and 12GB of Kingston, without issue.

@OP, what CPU cooler are you using? If its the stock heatsink you're going to need to buy something better if you want to overclock.

Next run CPU-Z to check the revision of your chip. If its C0/C1, it will run hotter and won't be as easy to overclock. If its D0/D1, you'll have better luck. I was running a C0 with a Noctua NH-U12P for a long time it would get into the 90* range at 4GHz, though it didn't have any problems getting there. I just found it too hot at that speed.

There's absolutely no reason for an overclock to kill an SSD unless the PSU is unstable or you cranked the voltages up high enough to make it unstable. If that happened though, it likely would have killed other parts as well. The exception is M.2 drives can die from setting base clock too high, but that's because they run directly off of it, this does not affect SATA drives.

Look into the Xeon chips. They're excellent value for the money, they will work in your motherboard, and they're also overclockable.

My System
(13 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700x
Motherboard
Asus X470 Crosshair VII
GPU
EVGA 1080ti SC Black
RAM
GSkill TridentZ RGB 3200 CL14 16GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO Nvme 500GB
Hard Drive
WD Black 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic 1000 W Platinum
Case
Case Labs M10
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Viewsonic VP2770-LED
Keyboard
Thermaltake Poseidon MX Brown
Audio
Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 06:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 439 (Unique: 336)
Quote: Originally Posted by Firehawk View Post
Why do you guys keep telling him to remove memory? OP has 2 sets of 3 sticks rated at the same frequency and CAS latencies. This will not affect whether his RAM runs in triple channel, nor will it affect his core overclock other than that he'll need to apply a little more voltage to the memory controller. I had the same motherboard and CPU running at 4GHz with 6GB of OCZ memory and 12GB of Kingston, without issue.

@OP, what CPU cooler are you using? If its the stock heatsink you're going to need to buy something better if you want to overclock.

Next run CPU-Z to check the revision of your chip. If its C0/C1, it will run hotter and won't be as easy to overclock. If its D0/D1, you'll have better luck. I was running a C0 with a Noctua NH-U12P for a long time it would get into the 90* range at 4GHz, though it didn't have any problems getting there. I just found it too hot at that speed.

There's absolutely no reason for an overclock to kill an SSD unless the PSU is unstable or you cranked the voltages up high enough to make it unstable. If that happened though, it likely would have killed other parts as well. The exception is M.2 drives can die from setting base clock too high, but that's because they run directly off of it, this does not affect SATA drives.

Look into the Xeon chips. They're excellent value for the money, they will work in your motherboard, and they're also overclockable.
I would largely agree with this though I will note that the amount and configuration of the memory can be pretty significant when pushing past 3.7Ghz, Personally I have had issues with an Asus P6T when running 12gb with 6 dimms (needed a hell of a lot of volts and fiddling to get that thing running 4.0Ghz smoothly)

But most of all I think the cooler I a big question here as once over 3.5GHz thees CPU usually start to need pretty big bumps in Vcore and that generates a lot of heat. A 920 running at 4.0 Ghz will often generate over 200w of thermal load. That's Noctua NH-D14 levels of cooling.

So I would argue that for practical use aiming for 4.0 is more trouble then its worth, instead recommending something in the 3.4-3.7Ghz range deepening on cooling and the individual chips willingness to OC.

The XFX 4890 post 2 year reference cooler fan bearing service
NZXT Tempest Community
[Worklog] NZXT Tempest eats a 360 rad (hopefully)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjas go_quote.gif

you under-estimate the power of e-peen, you'll whither and waiver to it's power, and finally succumb.
Bow to e-peen and buy.
post #35 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 09:17 PM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 56 (Unique: 51)
I forgot there was a 6-core CPU available for that generation of motherboards. I read about it and it will indeed work. Get the X5675 for sure!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-...dHFi:rk:1:pf:0

4K Rig
(7 items)
CPU
Intel 7700k @4.2ghz
GPU
Zotec 1080 Ti
RAM
16GB 3200mhz DDR4
Hard Drive
250GB nvme + 500GB SSD + 4TB HDD
Monitor
Samsung 4K 65 inch TV
Monitor
Pixio PX276 27inch 144Hz 1ms 1440p
Audio
Sound Blaster z
▲ hide details ▲
post #36 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 09:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
I forgot there was a 6-core CPU available for that generation of motherboards. I read about it and it will indeed work. Get the X5675 for sure!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-...dHFi:rk:1:pf:0
Yeah. I dropped the i7-980 in mine and oc'd it to 4.2Ghz. Moving from that to my 5390k at 4.5GHz wasn't that big of a bump =P
post #37 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 09:43 PM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 56 (Unique: 51)
Quote: Originally Posted by acquacow View Post
Yeah. I dropped the i7-980 in mine and oc'd it to 4.2Ghz. Moving from that to my 5390k at 4.5GHz wasn't that big of a bump =P
Yea but they're so cheap, its definitely worth it.

4K Rig
(7 items)
CPU
Intel 7700k @4.2ghz
GPU
Zotec 1080 Ti
RAM
16GB 3200mhz DDR4
Hard Drive
250GB nvme + 500GB SSD + 4TB HDD
Monitor
Samsung 4K 65 inch TV
Monitor
Pixio PX276 27inch 144Hz 1ms 1440p
Audio
Sound Blaster z
▲ hide details ▲
post #38 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 09:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 64 (Unique: 60)
Quote: Originally Posted by Bit_reaper View Post
I would largely agree with this though I will note that the amount and configuration of the memory can be pretty significant when pushing past 3.7Ghz, Personally I have had issues with an Asus P6T when running 12gb with 6 dimms (needed a hell of a lot of volts and fiddling to get that thing running 4.0Ghz smoothly)

But most of all I think the cooler I a big question here as once over 3.5GHz thees CPU usually start to need pretty big bumps in Vcore and that generates a lot of heat. A 920 running at 4.0 Ghz will often generate over 200w of thermal load. That's Noctua NH-D14 levels of cooling.

So I would argue that for practical use aiming for 4.0 is more trouble then its worth, instead recommending something in the 3.4-3.7Ghz range deepening on cooling and the individual chips willingness to OC.
Agreed, a lesser overclock unless he has a lot of cooling. Also easier to get stable.

My System
(13 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700x
Motherboard
Asus X470 Crosshair VII
GPU
EVGA 1080ti SC Black
RAM
GSkill TridentZ RGB 3200 CL14 16GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO Nvme 500GB
Hard Drive
WD Black 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic 1000 W Platinum
Case
Case Labs M10
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Viewsonic VP2770-LED
Keyboard
Thermaltake Poseidon MX Brown
Audio
Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
▲ hide details ▲
post #39 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by Firehawk View Post

Yes, my memory cards, have the same specs and run at triple speed, according to CPU-Z and Speccy.

My CPU cooler is Prolima Megahalems Super 6 Heatpipe Tower Cooler and the Revision of my i7 920 is D0 according to CPU-Z.

Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-...dHFi:rk:1f:0

I think I'll try first OC my current CPU.. If I bought the Xeon, would it require a different CPU heatsink? I mean, except from the CPU, would I need to buy something else?
post #40 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 04:36 PM
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 502 (Unique: 267)
Grab a Xeon W3570... Less than $30 used and oh yeah, the processor is unlocked

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in