very small gains from overclocking cpu in some reviews, much larger gains in other reviews? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

very small gains from overclocking cpu in some reviews, much larger gains in other reviews?

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
very small gains from overclocking cpu in some reviews, much larger gains in other reviews?

for example when looking at some reviews/benchmarks, overclocking a 8700k (or other cpu like 9600k or whatever) from stock to 5ghz yields almost no gains in terms of big fps difference in games at 1080p,

and in others reviews there is a much larger difference at the same resolution and same overclock, could this be because the not so big gains are gpu bottlenecked? i've seen for example gtx 1080 cards not gain much fps on a 8700k stock vs 8700k 5 ghz at 1080p, but when it is a rtx 2080 ti instead there is a much bigger difference between stock cpu and overclocked cpu, at 1080p also :S

example gamersnexus oc and benchmarks big difference here and big gains, rtx 2080 ti card with many different overclocked cpus and stock cpus: https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreview...8700k-and-more

and then for example techpowerup 8700k stock vs 5 ghz oc, very small difference in fps at 1920x1080p, but with gtx 1080 card instead of rtx 2080 ti: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/..._8700K/13.html

memory was 2x8 gb 3200 mhz in both cases from what I can see, does this mean you need more or less a 1080 ti or 2080/2080 ti to see any meaningful gains for a 5 ghz OC even at 1080p? or am I reading something wrong here? appreciate any comments!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 462 (Unique: 262)
Probably a few things at work there , but it comes down to being more gpu limited either by hardware , graphics settings or the game engine's ability to make use of the cpu.

Have to test on a game to game basis , but there are situations where the gains are nearly linear when adding cpu speed or cores or both when all other limiting factors have been eliminated.

Example of additional cpu power based on core count can be seen in the original post here

https://www.overclock.net/forum/297-...ul-gaming.html

I've seen battlefield 1 use every bit of cpu power my 4790K can provide, only pushing cpu usage figured below 90% when clocking it up to near 5 ghz.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in