Looking for general build help - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Looking for general build help

post #21 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 166 (Unique: 142)
Quote: Originally Posted by shilka View Post
https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-w...lc-cooler.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23vjWtUpItk

Buy an AIO kit from EK, Swiftech or Alphacool instead of that CLC rubbish
As for Windows 7 all MS support updates and patches ends at the end of the year which will make it more and more vulnerable to attacks
TBH I think this has more to do with the fans used than the quality of the cooler. Noctua uses the best fans. Slap 4 fans on a 280mm and I think you have better performance than any air cooler with a lot of good fans on it. These test results are also contradictory to all other test results.

I'm not opposed to grabbing a swiftech though. Maybe the 240mm.

Quote:
As for Windows 7 all MS support updates and patches ends at the end of the year which will make it more and more vulnerable to attacks

hm.

Last edited by Belial; 05-13-2019 at 01:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:56 AM
Senior OCN Member

Rep: 2720 (Unique: 1616)
Quote: Originally Posted by Belial View Post
TBH I think this has more to do with the fans used than the quality of the cooler. Noctua uses the best fans. Slap 4 fans on a 280mm and I think you have better performance than any air cooler with a lot of good fans on it. These test results are also contradictory to all other test results.

I'm not opposed to grabbing a swiftech though. Maybe the 240mm.
hm.
Its not the fans its the limits of the pump which is pathetically weak and a grown man can urinate with more force than the crappy Assetek CLC pumps can move liqiud thats the problem it has nothing to do with the fans

Its not contradictory results its something many of us has known for years and we are not surprised by the results they only confirm what we have been saying

As for Win 10 I dont like it very much either but hearing that support was ending i moved over to Windows 10 and at first i found it god awful and frustrating
After finding and downloading 4 programs to fix all the garbage its not actually a bad OS

Seravee
(32 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 8 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt
Cooling
x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
Roccat Sense Metor
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod E series PSU cable set
Other
CableMod LED Strips
▲ hide details ▲
post #23 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Actually the problem is the fact he ran the test for so long (15+ minutes), and possibly lack of airflow.

CLCs would likely do better in short term high heat tests (more indicative of real world OC usage or gaming). 15+ minutes on load probably caused all the water in the loop to get hot and with only 2x fans, heat wasn't being dispersed faster than it was acculumating.

Quote:
Its not contradictory results its something many of us has known for years and we are not surprised by the results they only confirm what we have been saying
It literally contradicts every other benchmark test out there. Including my own.

I'm not doing air cooling and cooling performance is not the main reason I'm making the choices that I'm making. I appreciate any help you want to offer, but right now my choice is not to go for air. Air coolers are large and I really want this build to be much easier than my current build in terms of swapping out components, ease of build, aesthetics, and transportability. I've used all the air coolers, all the CLCs, and plenty of custom loops, I know what I'm doing.

I am interested in the Swiftech AIO right now though.

I guess I'll have to use windows 10 then. That's kinda lame. What 4 programs?

Right now just trying to figure out the case. There's some really cool Lian lis, the PC-011, and Phanteks that I'm considering against the h500i.

Last edited by Belial; 05-13-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 525 (Unique: 296)
i just made a similar leap, from sandy/ivy era, and was so disappointed by the progress that I went with a used 1080ti (cuz the price I paid for a 2080 was insane for the level of performance) 9700k (@5.2), n asus PRIME board, 2400mhz memory (now OC'd to 3200 with little to no issue)

transferred my raid over, & am now dug in for when some actual progress comes, which should be just before, or right after the new consoles come. (see history if you don't believe me)

yes! It does just so happen that the last revolutionary GPUs & CPUs from NV & intel released 6-7 years ago (keplar and sandy) around the same time as PS4 and Xbone
post #25 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

post #26 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:06 PM
Senior OCN Member

Rep: 2720 (Unique: 1616)
I guess I'll have to use windows 10 then. That's kinda lame. What 4 programs?
Shut up Windows 10 for turning off all the telemetry crap that slows the PC down
Classic Shell for turning the start bar back to how i want it

OldNewExplorer to turn my folders back to how i want them with the details bar at the bottom and not on the right hand side
Hard Disk Sentinel to override the Windows 10 APM garbage you cant turn off

Seravee
(32 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 8 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt
Cooling
x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
Roccat Sense Metor
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod E series PSU cable set
Other
CableMod LED Strips
▲ hide details ▲
post #27 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I think I might just go with the matx asus board and a h400i. I don't know what the point of an atx board really is, I've never used more than one GPU, one SSD, and 2 stick of ram on any build. It'll still fit a swiftech 240mm
post #28 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:49 PM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 15 (Unique: 15)
Could I just transfer my SSD over? Would that work? Enough to just download the new drivers for the mobo and chipset and gpu on a workable os?
With windows 10 you actually can usually just plug your OS drive into an entirely different computer and boot off it. You might need to reactivate your copy of windows, but it should boot right up without really skipping a beat. Most people don't know this because they never bothered to try, but it has worked every time I can remember trying it.

Still think you would be better off to just get a 4th gen i7 and wait for a big upgrade after ps5 comes out.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
post #29 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 849 (Unique: 621)
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
With windows 10 you actually can usually just plug your OS drive into an entirely different computer and boot off it. You might need to reactivate your copy of windows, but it should boot right up without really skipping a beat. Most people don't know this because they never bothered to try, but it has worked every time I can remember trying it.

Still think you would be better off to just get a 4th gen i7 and wait for a big upgrade after ps5 comes out.
^this. Got two Ryzen systems one OS drive is an image of the other. Just put in a Win10 Pro key on the copy, which is an upgrade from the original Home version. Exact same content from apps to games. I don't think you can do the same with Win7.

[email protected] 6 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2211392 4.6 @ 4 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2216580
5.0 @ 8 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2511322
2nd AMD Build
(10 items)
CPU
Motherboard
X470
GPU
RAM
3200 CL14
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Case
Operating System
10/64
Monitor
40 1080
Keyboard
M100
▲ hide details ▲
post #30 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:51 AM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 15 (Unique: 15)
Quote: Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post
^this. Got two Ryzen systems one OS drive is an image of the other. Just put in a Win10 Pro key on the copy, which is an upgrade from the original Home version. Exact same content from apps to games. I don't think you can do the same with Win7.
Actually you can do it with pretty much any version of windows, but on anything before win10 (or maybe 8) you had to make sure to uninstall all your system specific drivers first, then you could usually transfer your OS drive to a new system and then install that systems drivers. Windows 10 has much better driver management than windows 7 so you don't need to do anything manually.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in