help with a upgrade h.265 - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

help with a upgrade h.265

post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 05:49 PM
- Insanity Beckons -

Rep: 171 (Unique: 87)
Quote: Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
For a NVenc card I suggest the 1660 as the cheapest option with the new improved encoder. They put an old one on the 1650.

You could up the performance a tiny bit by obtaining a 1660 Ti .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 20)
ok just a couple of things i asking for advice if i got a gtx 1660 or gtx 1660ti would be a bottleneck for i7 2600k but i have a it at stock i cant overclock because the board i have so and they will cost me like 400 dollars for gtx 1660 and gtx 1660ti 465 dollars but i can get a ryzen 2600 and 16gb of ram am4 board that that so on the fence i also thinking would a ryzen 2600 be good h265 and video editing with sony vegas 16
also just a question if i wanted to get a cheap gtx 10 series card for h265 what would be the cheapest

Last edited by skitz9417; 06-08-2019 at 09:30 AM.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:49 PM
1689 Federalist

Rep: 241 (Unique: 208)
Quote: Originally Posted by skitz9417 View Post
ok just a couple of things i asking for advice if i got a gtx 1660 or gtx 1660ti would be a bottleneck for i7 2600k but i have a it at stock i cant overclock because the board i have so and they will cost me like 400 dollars for gtx 1660 and gtx 1660ti 465 dollars but i can get a ryzen 2600 and 16gb of ram am4 board that that so on the fence i also thinking would a ryzen 2600 be good h265 and video editing with sony vegas 16
also just a question if i wanted to get a cheap gtx 10 series card for h265 what would be the cheapest
The ryzen would be great and a new platform may be the better option. But its all about time. Software x265 vs HW h265 are too different animals when it comes to speed. If time is not a huge concern the Ryzen will do fine.

A poster said above that they left the old encoder/decoder in the 1650. So sounds like if you want the new h265 chip you need a 1660. Although I get along just fine with a 1050ti. And when I had a 2060 I can't say I noticed much difference. Not sure if this has been posted but here is the difference between the cards.

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-e...support-matrix

Black Box
(11 items)
CPU
R5 2600X
Motherboard
Asus Strix B450-I
GPU
EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
RAM
GSkill 16gb 3200c14 Flare
Hard Drive
500gb SSD
Power Supply
EVGA G1+ 850
Cooling
Macho Rev B
Case
NZXT H200 Black
Monitor
LG 32GK650F-B 1440p 144hz
Mouse
Sensei Raw
Audio
Sony Core Bookshelves
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 07:59 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 333 (Unique: 238)
x265 is freakishly slow. You really want to use hardware HEVC instead. Pascal is OK, I've used it. Turing is better but I didn't compare yet since the tools that give access to HW encoders are kind of finicky at least for NVENC, some versions work, some don't, some work with some cards, some work with some NV libraries some with other.

If you have a dedicated server or a farm, sure using x265 is doable, otherwise not really. With HWenc it is order of magnitude faster while quality/size is still pretty good when set right.
If you do post processing you will need a GPU with enough shaders to keep up. Not all videos are good for transcoding so you will often need to post process to get better quality encode especially at low bitrates.
NVenc also tends to be finicky with colors.

There are trade offs and traps no matter what you use.

Good encoding tools that use NVenc especially HEVC and actually work... the jury is still out. Plus what decoder do you use to read and decode video for encoder to transcode also plays a role in speed.

The table linked above is a good guide to the hardware but software support and availability is equally important. AMD had HWenc for quite some time but the software support sucked.

Handbrake is sort of a "bloatfree" free variant of all the spammed video converters you can often see floating around and ads for. Aimed at easy click done use.
If you want more control, cutting edge support, change parameters etc. you're probably gonna run away from Handbrake. Or test performance and find out it's slow.

The software should be better nowadays and support for Turing finally added to most.

If you want best quality then x264 is king not x265. HEVC is better at lower bitrates = lower quality encodes but not at high bitrate encodes.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 08:20 PM
1689 Federalist

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
x265 is freakishly slow. You really want to use hardware HEVC instead. Pascal is OK, I've used it. Turing is better but I didn't compare yet since the tools that give access to HW encoders are kind of finicky at least for NVENC, some versions work, some don't, some work with some cards, some work with some NV libraries some with other.

If you have a dedicated server or a farm, sure using x265 is doable, otherwise not really. With HWenc it is order of magnitude faster while quality/size is still pretty good when set right.
If you do post processing you will need a GPU with enough shaders to keep up. Not all videos are good for transcoding so you will often need to post process to get better quality encode especially at low bitrates.

Good encoding tools that use NVenc especially HEVC and actually work... the jury is still out. Plus what decoder do you use to read and decode video for encoder to transcode also plays a role in speed.

The table linked above is a good guide to the hardware but software support and availability is equally important. AMD had HWenc for quite some time but the software support sucked.

Handbrake is sort of a "bloatfree" free variant of all the spammed video converters you can often see floating around and ads for. Aimed at easy click done use.
If you want more control, cutting edge support, change parameters etc. you're probably gonna run away from Handbrake. Or test performance and find out it's slow.

The software should be better nowadays and support for Turing finally added to most.

If you want best quality then x264 is king not x265. HEVC is better at lower bitrates = lower quality encodes but not at high bitrate encodes.
In my non scientific testing comparing a 1050ti to a 2060, just measuring FPS using the same profile in Handbrake I saw no increase in performance. But I know things may be going on in the background that took further load off of the cpu.

Black Box
(11 items)
CPU
R5 2600X
Motherboard
Asus Strix B450-I
GPU
EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
RAM
Hard Drive
500gb SSD
Power Supply
EVGA G1+ 850
Cooling
Macho Rev B
Case
NZXT H200 Black
Monitor
Mouse
Sensei Raw
Audio
Sony Core Bookshelves
▲ hide details ▲

post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

i use handbrake or ffmpeg sometime so that another can of worms and i dont have a encoder farm lol unless i have a bucket full of money lol i use h265 for achives of my game walkthroughs just in case of my channel gets taken down or if i have render them with muted music and even with recording i use a elgato so it not the best for old school consoles ha

Last edited by skitz9417; 06-08-2019 at 08:30 PM.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
I have went back and forth between hardware and software 265 encoding. And I am happy with NVENC. I can legit do an encode in about 5-7 minutes (TV show recordings). With framerate around 150fps. It takes a heck of a cpu to get close to that.

It took me some playing with settings to get it where I like it. Also had to realize that QP values are different between x265 and NVENC H265. So comparing encodes with the same QP value between the two doesn't work.

I have an 1800x and 1050ti in my server. I really thought it would be better to use the CPU, but man even with the little 1050ti its just so fast. I stuck with HW.
just a question im going to get a 1060 so what were ur settings with handbrake

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 07:01 AM
1689 Federalist

Quote: Originally Posted by skitz9417 View Post
just a question im going to get a 1060 so what were ur settings with handbrake

When I'm at my desk I will post them. There isn't a lot of settings available for NVENC compared to software. But it's good enough.

Do note that I am encoding 1080i mpeg cable recordings. So they are already pretty compressed and not the greatest quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Box
(11 items)
CPU
R5 2600X
Motherboard
Asus Strix B450-I
GPU
EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
RAM
Hard Drive
500gb SSD
Power Supply
EVGA G1+ 850
Cooling
Macho Rev B
Case
NZXT H200 Black
Monitor
Mouse
Sensei Raw
Audio
Sony Core Bookshelves
▲ hide details ▲

post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 07:18 AM
1689 Federalist

Heres a few screens of the pages that matter. I am taking 1080i interlaced mpeg in a .TS container and turning them into 1080p x265 mkvs.

The QP value of 26 is the main thing you would want to mess with to see where you like it. And it can vary based on the source on how much compression you get.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Views:	4
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	278700  

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Views:	4
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	278702  

Name:	Capture3.PNG
Views:	5
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	278704  

Black Box
(11 items)
CPU
R5 2600X
Motherboard
Asus Strix B450-I
GPU
EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
RAM
Hard Drive
500gb SSD
Power Supply
EVGA G1+ 850
Cooling
Macho Rev B
Case
NZXT H200 Black
Monitor
Mouse
Sensei Raw
Audio
Sony Core Bookshelves
▲ hide details ▲

post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
Heres a few screens of the pages that matter. I am taking 1080i interlaced mpeg in a .TS container and turning them into 1080p x265 mkvs.

The QP value of 26 is the main thing you would want to mess with to see where you like it. And it can vary based on the source on how much compression you get.
thanks for the info

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in