help with a upgrade h.265 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

help with a upgrade h.265

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 20)
help with a upgrade h.265

hi everyone im just asking does anymore use handbrake h265 encoding with handbrake im looking to either speed up the encoding time for 4k videos thay are taking a long time im using i7 2600k and r9 380

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:19 PM
Robotic Chemist

Rep: 190 (Unique: 127)
I am pretty familiar with Handbrake and use standalone x265 a lot.

Software encoding is also not the only option. An Nvidia 1660 has a new hardware H.265 encoder that is decent quality and very fast. I am a big fan of x265's software encoding, and it still offers better quality, but you really have to pay for it with CPU cycles. Now there is a hardware option with acceptable quality and it is really fast at the same time. I don't use it myself, I do mostly archival video, but I am not sure what your use case is.

If you are seeking hardware advice, do you have a budget? x265 likes cores, up to a point, but that point is a lot with 4K video. A 12 or 16 core Ryzen 3000 will likely perform very well at a great price, though x265 uses AVX2 and AVX512 enough that performance for those is important too, we need to wait for benchmarks to be sure. As many very fast cores as possible is best, though above ~32 cores (64 threads) is probably overkill.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I am pretty familiar with Handbrake and use standalone x265 a lot.

Software encoding is also not the only option. An Nvidia 1660 has a new hardware H.265 encoder that is decent quality and very fast. I am a big fan of x265's software encoding, and it still offers better quality, but you really have to pay for it with CPU cycles. Now there is a hardware option with acceptable quality and it is really fast at the same time. I don't use it myself, I do mostly archival video, but I am not sure what your use case is.

If you are seeking hardware advice, do you have a budget? x265 likes cores, up to a point, but that point is a lot with 4K video. A 12 or 16 core Ryzen 3000 will likely perform very well at a great price, though x265 uses AVX2 and AVX512 enough that performance for those is important too, we need to wait for benchmarks to be sure. As many very fast cores as possible is best, though above ~32 cores (64 threads) is probably overkill.
i was wondering about the new amd cpus they look awesome but i will have to see how much they will be in australia but my budget is 1200 dollars and yeah i like to compress my 4k 60fps walkthrough for archives

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by skitz9417 View Post
i was wondering about the new amd cpus they look awesome but i will have to see how much they will be in australia but my budget is 1200 dollars and yeah i like to compress my 4k 60fps walkthrough for archives
also im still learning does cpu or gpu matter more for h265 encoding

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:32 PM
Robotic Chemist

also im still learning does cpu or gpu matter more for h265 encoding
Only the CPU matters, the GPU is not used at all.

There have been some GPU stuff done for software encoders in the past but it never helped much and it sometimes hurt quality. Nothing in Handbrake will use the GPU or even notice which one you have installed.

Edit:
This list is probably very accurate for which CPU for your budget. 4K will simply scale better with more cores.
Anandtech 2019 CPU Benchmarks - Handbrake 1080p60 HEVC

Last edited by Asmodian; 05-28-2019 at 09:38 PM.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Only the CPU matters, the GPU is not used at all.

There have been some GPU stuff done for software encoders in the past but it never helped much and it sometimes hurt quality. Nothing in Handbrake will use the GPU or even notice which one you have installed.
ok i know this sounds dumb is there a limt to how many cores handbrake can handle because i was reading that handbrake can only handle 6 cores

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:41 PM
Iconoclast

Rep: 3135 (Unique: 1869)
ok i know this sounds dumb is there a limt to how many cores handbrake can handle because i was reading that handbrake can only handle 6 cores
Handbrake is just a front-end and the underlying encoders it uses will support a lot of cores.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:48 PM
Robotic Chemist

The i9-9900K looks like a pretty good deal on that list, a bargain compared to anything near it.

The i7-9700K looks like the best price/performance option. AMD's current CPUs are not a good choice for AVX2 & AVX512 enabled workflows so are not a great option for x265. I expect their new 7nm CPUs to be better we don't know how much yet.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:53 PM
Robotic Chemist

Quote: Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
Handbrake is just a front-end and the underlying encoders it uses will support a lot of cores.
I have seen people running x265 on 56 core systems (2 socket 28 core CPUs). You cannot saturate all the cores with just one encode but you can get close, and x265 will happily run on them all. Running x265 via Handbrake will not change how many cores it can utilize.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I have seen people running x265 on 56 core systems (2 socket 28 core CPUs). You cannot saturate all the cores with just one encode but you can get close, and x265 will happily run on them all. Running x265 via Handbrake will not change how many cores it can utilize.
wow thats a lot of core for sure and i was thinking of the 10 core 20 threads cpu for the lga 2011 socket i knows it older hardware but i think i have my mind set on ryzen 3 or intel im not trying to start a flame war

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in